Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins are the fifth-most valuable sports franchise in the world--yes, the world

brdawk20

You don't actually believe that do you?

The Cowboys have a far greater reach in fanbase than the Skins. Now the majority are nothing but bandwagon types but still.

As for them being on the list because of Jerry World, the Redskins only got up on the list because of FedEx Field and whoring Danny does with every inch of that place. In fact the Redskins are slipping. They were once upon a time the second most valuable franchise in the world.

In the end, this means nothing to us regular people. Anyone really think Eagle fans are pissed that they are 14th and we are 5th? Anyone? Their owner maybe, but normal people? Nope.

The Redskins were the most valuable franchise in the world a few years back and were valued at more than Dallas for at least a couple of years.Check the attendence figures before Jerry World was built,Skin's by large margin.

The Cowboys have a far greater reach in fanbase than the Skins. Now the majority are nothing but bandwagon types but still.

As for them being on the list because of Jerry World, the Redskins only got up on the list because of FedEx Field and whoring Danny does with every inch of that place. In fact the Redskins are slipping. They were once upon a time the second most valuable franchise in the world.

In the end, this means nothing to us regular people. Anyone really think Eagle fans are pissed that they are 14th and we are 5th? Anyone? Their owner maybe, but normal people? Nope.

Yup, sure do. They're only worth about 290 million more but the difference is stadium value is far far greater than that.

I don't really care at all, just stating the fact that they're value is so great because of new billion dollar stadiums, which we do not have. Doesn't mean anything to me on a personal level though. :)

Edit : In fact, if you click on the Cowboys in the article they specifically point out the stadium value and how much it's worth.

The reason the Redskins are the 5th most valuable sports franchise (and the 2nd most valuable NFL franchise) is a direct result of their operating income. Their tremendous operating income is a result of Snyder's marketing accumen. So hats off to you Redskins fans for filling the coffers.

The Redskins were the most valuable franchise in the NFL until Dallas built their new stadium.

The reason the Redskins are the 5th most valuable sports franchise (and the 2nd most valuable NFL franchise) is a direct result of their operating income. Their tremendous operating income is a result of Snyder's marketing accumen.

Which is also why his stint as Six Flags CEO went so well...errr.....

Snyder's "success" with the Redskins really has nothing to do with some supposed "marketing genius." It's got EVERYTHING to do with us - Redskins fans. We love this team so much that whenever Snyder raised prices for anything - make that EVERYTHING - we paid it. Redskins "fans." We all know "fan" is short for "fanatic." In the real world - like Six Flags - Snyder failed miserably. Shocker.

Which is also why his stint as Six Flags CEO went so well...errr.....

Snyder's "success" with the Redskins really has nothing to do with some supposed "marketing genius." It's got EVERYTHING to do with us - Redskins fans. We love this team so much that whenever Snyder raised prices for anything - make that EVERYTHING - we paid it. Redskins "fans." We all know "fan" is short for "fanatic." In the real world - like Six Flags - Snyder failed miserably. Shocker.

CL, I tend to think that myself. However, I don't recall that we were in this class back in the mid-1990s. I could be wrong and maybe we've always been in the top 1-2 in the NFL, but I can't seem to find the Forbes lists from back then. If we weren't ranked this high pre-Snyder, don't we have to re-think his impact?

The reason the Redskins are the 5th most valuable sports franchise (and the 2nd most valuable NFL franchise) is a direct result of their operating income. Their tremendous operating income is a result of Snyder's marketing accumen. So hats off to you Redskins fans for filling the coffers.
And the minor little detail OF NO MORTGAGE FOR THE STADIUM.

CL, I tend to think that myself. However, I don't recall that we were in this class back in the mid-1990s. I could be wrong and maybe we've always been in the top 1-2 in the NFL, but I can't seem to find the Forbes lists from back then. If we weren't ranked this high pre-Snyder, don't we have to re-think his impact?

NOBODY is downplaying his impact. He simply raised prices on EVERYTHING, sold every square inch of Jack Kent Cooke Stadium to advertisers and concessioneers, charged money to watch training camp, bought and sold expired bankrupt airline peanuts, and put in thousands of horrible obstructed view seats without warning ticket buyers to their craptitude. He certainly DID have an effect. Whether or not this is "marketing acumen" or just being a "magnificent *******" is in the eye of the beholder. It was successful not because he's a genius, but because Redskins fans are such incredible suckers for their beloved team that he couldn't drive them away.

The Redskins were worth less pre-Snyder because the JKC regime didn't go that route. JKC didn't take undue advantage of Redskins fans. Whether or not that's "bad business" is for you to judge, but I don't recall JKC ever having to hit a soup kitchen. Seems like everybody was doing just fine back then without a total financial rape of the fanbase.

And when Snyder tried the same tricks at Six Flags, it failed miserably, because Snyder didn't have a monopoly on the theme park business like he did on the Redskins business. Ask anybody whose been to all if they'd rather to go to Six Flags or Hershey, Busch Gardens, or Kings Dominion, and I'm sure most will agree the latter three are all far more pleasant.

Snyder made a trip to Six Flags as expensive and entertaining as...a Redskins game.

And the minor little detail OF NO MORTGAGE FOR THE STADIUM.
I've seen this referenced a few times. Where is the link to that info?

If true the lack of debt service on a stadium would reduce expenses significantly and would have a very positive effect on net income.

we lease the stadium.

so how does that make sense?

We do not lease the stadium. JKC built the stadium with private funds, on private land. We "lease" the area from the Stadium Authority.
In professional football, the Washington Redskins' new home, Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, was privately financed. Revenues from its luxury boxes, concessions and other sources will be used to repay $155 million borrowed from banks to build the stadium itself. Maryland and Prince Georges County contributed $70.5 million for infrastructure, including highway ramps, the widening of other roads and upgrading of intersections.
Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then.
FedEx Field was built in 1997 by then-owner Jack Kent Cooke, who financed most of the construction using his own money, though the state contributed $70 million for infrastructure improvements. Daniel Snyder bought the team and the stadium in 1999 for a record $800 million.
The Redskins signed a "lease" to play in PG County for 30 years to get the $70M in funding for the infrastructure improvements.
The Redskins' agreement also contains a specific performance clause, as well as a provision that gives the land and stadium to the county for $10 in the event the franchise relocates.

Archived