Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evidence of Human Potential thread

SWFLSkins

I'm not a Christian, but I'd always offer this as reflecting our better side, potential-wise. :)

Rome_Sistine.jpg

The best of our artistic side, via pen, brush, chisel, music, theater, and on, is a wondrous aspect of humanity.

(for Larry) :)

I think of the way people from nations all over the world often come to the aid of those struck by extreme natural disaster. Humanity at some of its finest moments. And yes, we can always do better in such matters, locally and globally, and usually much better, and that's why it's still a "potential" as opposed to fully realized. :)

QFT.

Link goes right to 4;46 sec.s speaking on potential, survivors talking.

---------- Post added July-10th-2012 at 02:07 PM ----------

^^Here's my evidence of Human Potential. It's like MLK Jr. was reincarnated on my computer screen.

I take that as a compliment, and it really makes my day. I TRY to judge and react based on actions and not precursors of color, dress, origin or other bias that cloud the mind.

As it should. I tried to say it humorously but I was sincere maybe not to MLKJR standards but the sentiment is there.

---------- Post added July-10th-2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DR_wi1woJp8/TUJZIxpjIhI/AAAAAAAAACg/bUKHkskSMRs/s1600/airplane1.jpg

And building them so that they can withstand this:

http://media.techeblog.com/images/awesome___________.jpg

http://media.techeblog.com/images/rotating_.gif

"Though you'd think the lightning bolt would have caused major damage to the plane, it was just minor turbulence for passengers aboard. This shot shows a lightning bolt striking an airplane taking off Osaka's airport, then hitting the ground. Lightning is not dangerous for airliners, as the electricity flows around their aluminum skin."

I have a fear of flying, but I still fly and I've done research to alleviate my concerns. And it is crazy what modern planes can withstand. The wings can be bent to a ridiculous degree before they START to fail (not actually fail).

As it should. I tried to say it humorously but I was sincere maybe not to MLKJR standards but the sentiment is there.

No, really I got it, or at the least perceived purposefully that way, lol.

Love Viktor Frankl

---------- Post added July-10th-2012 at 05:10 PM ----------

Sept11TowerOneFiremenKehoeStairs.jpg

The men and women who run toward, while everyone else runs away, exemplify the greatest of human potential, IMHO. Be they police officers, firefighters, EMTs, soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, coast guardsmen, or the regular Joe who springs into action when the unthinkable happens, they have every last ounce of respect I can muster.

The fireman in the picture above, Mike Kehoe, escaped the tower without physical injury. But I can't imagine the emotional toll that losing 343 of his brothers that day must take on him. I can't think of a more unjust "reward" for his heroism.

I just...I get emotional when I think about our true heroes; always running toward, placing complete strangers' safety above their own. These men and women will always represent the best in humanity to me.

The men and women who run toward, while everyone else runs away, exemplify the greatest of human potential, IMHO. Be they police officers, firefighters, EMTs, soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, coast guardsmen, or the regular Joe who springs into action when the unthinkable happens, they have every last ounce of respect I can muster.

The fireman in the picture above, Mike Kehoe, escaped the tower without physical injury. But I can't imagine the emotional toll that losing 343 of his brothers that day must take on him. I can't think of a more unjust "reward" for his heroism.

I just...I get emotional when I think about our true heroes; always running toward, placing complete strangers' safety above their own. These men and women will always represent the best in humanity to me.

Long, relevant and true stories, I was celebrating 4th of July the next summer in Highland Lakes NJ and brought a large stock of Florida friendly sky decorations. While I was there two amazing things happened. Both are talked about when the same families gather to this day. First a Jack Wagon named Eddie was there as a friend of the family we were visiting. I was swimming and lost my sun glasses right off the new swim dock a cousin and I launched and secured just earlier. The guy started to laugh at me as I told everyone on the deck what I did. I already felt dumb enough on my own and now Jack Wagon was rubbing it in. As I got mad at him, myself and my stupidity, I decided to go free dive and see if I could get lucky, I tried several times, maybe five. I returned to the deck to rest. Then he said, "you'll never find those glasses but maybe you can find your brains down there while your looking for them".

That's was it, it was on, the guy was in his sixties and I could not hit him, and my temper was hot. At that point something in me clicked. I was going to find those glasses or die doing it. I knew they were down there in the dark and cold water. Way down there, maybe twenty feet. I stopped being angry and started thinking of solutions and calmed myself down. He all they while drinking and making cracks, others were telling him to shutup by now, but he would not.

First I remembered that I had brought with me boogie board fins from twenty years ago for my boys to use later in the trip in OC, Md. Second I thought there are two cinder blocks with chains holding this dock in place. And I knew which corner I was on when I lost the glasses. So with that I went to work. You could not see anything at the bottom, so goggles were useless. I swam down there and started working a grid pattern, holding my breath for just enough time to search in blindness, a small area estimating the distance and direction from the block. I dove and dove, and dove again, he laughed and laughed and laughed again.

The estimates from others are around fifty dives, I would say at least forty times. I worked that grid in my mind until I succeeded. I came to top of the water and leap like a whale yelling "see what persistence and perseverance can do! Jack Wagon got up and left as everyone was high fiving and laughing in his face. I even had a cousin tell him to **** off as he left.

That was July 3rd. On July fourth still celebrating my victory the next night Jack Wagon returned to sponge the free food and fireworks, and even sat in the same seat. When all the action was over and the grand finale shot off we were all talking about the 9-11 just the summer before. Jack Wagon speaks up and says he is sick of hearing about all the firemen and what about the stock brokers that died. I simply said, but the firemen were the guys running into the building not out.

A quietness came over the room, and one friend of a cousin stood up as if to leave. I had no idea what was going on, I knew there were many people there from NY and many knew people who were there or around there. Well turns out this former Marine was there, and was heading into the area when he was physically removed from doing so. HE had friends in the NYFD working that scene. HE would never see them again, but it did not stop him from diving in and risking his life to save them. And to think all I did was save a pair of stupid sunglasses.

Moral of the story, Jack Wagons will always be Jack Wagons, Heroes are special people, the put their own lives at risk for others.

Moral of the story, Jack Wagons will always be Jack Wagons, Heroes are special people, the put their own lives at risk for others.

That was an awesome read, man. And the statement above could not be more true.

The human potential is demonstrated in those of us who show compassion to species other than our own. I see no "potential" when people do "good acts" because they think they will be rewarded in an afterlife or only show compassion to other humans because "that's the way I'd like to be treated". That's tit for tat.

Nope, the true potential of how good our species can be is demonstrated in those who do not believe there will be rewards in a made up afterlife and still do good works, especially for "lesser" creatures, those that current "society" deems as nothing but here to service us in whatever capcitiy we see fit (food, entertainment, companionship, "sport"). Humans who attempt to "do no harm" in leading their life really are the beacons of what we need to become if we truly hope to survive as a species.

The human potential is demonstrated in those of us who show compassion to species other than our own. I see no "potential" when people do "good acts" because they think they will be rewarded in an afterlife or only show compassion to other humans because "that's the way I'd like to be treated". That's tit for tat.

Nope, the true potential of how good our species can be is demonstrated in those who do not believe there will be rewards in a made up afterlife and still do good works, especially for "lesser" creatures, those that current "society" deems as nothing but here to service us in whatever capcitiy we see fit (food, entertainment, companionship, "sport"). Humans who attempt to "do no harm" in leading their life really are the beacons of what we need to become if we truly hope to survive as a species.

Compassion is just one area humans can example human potential. I agree and disagree with some of the things you have written. First I see complete potential when you do good acts as that has a waterfall affect on those involved and those witnessing such acts. Of course I include all living things in this and not just human kind.

Those hoping to gain favor in an afterlife for acts of compassion? I really think most people do good things because it is right and feels good to do so. The most gratifying moments in life are the smiles you put on others faces, especially children. And how about the whale video in my OP, did you watch it? We are bound and connected to each other, one creation to another. Compassion is why heroes risk their lives, not for what they risk getting or not getting in return. Only exceptional people can put aside the instinct to survive to serve a greater good. The guy in that video dove in to save a whale and could have easily been entangled in the net and drowned. Nobody ever mentioned that in the video.

Humans who attempt to do no harm? (perplexed) We do harm by living here, should we kill ourselves for the greater good of all living species and the planet? Or should we attempt to improve and reach for the potential, falling short but still far overshooting just being here.

SWFL, I liked your story, though it would have been a more gratifying read if the marine had clocked Eddie at the end, age 60 or not. Some people just need it.

Anyway, I know it's a pretty iconic photograph, but it's always amazing to me what humans have the capacity to envision and construct.

construction-workers-take-a-lunch-break-on-a-steel-beam-atop-the-rca-building-at-rockefeller-center.jpg

Compassion is just one area humans can example human potential. I agree and disagree with some of the things you have written. First I see complete potential when you do good acts as that has a waterfall affect on those involved and those witnessing such acts. Of course I include all living things in this and not just human kind.

Those hoping to gain favor in an afterlife for acts of compassion? I really think most people do good things because it is right and feels good to do so. The most gratifying moments in life are the smiles you put on others faces, especially children. And how about the whale video in my OP, did you watch it? We are bound and connected to each other, one creation to another. Compassion is why heroes risk their lives, not for what they risk getting or not getting in return. Only exceptional people can put aside the instinct to survive to serve a greater good. The guy in that video dove in to save a whale and could have easily been entangled in the net and drowned. Nobody ever mentioned that in the video.

Humans who attempt to do no harm? (perplexed) We do harm by living here, should we kill ourselves for the greater good of all living species and the planet? Or should we attempt to improve and reach for the potential, falling short but still far overshooting just being here.

I agree 100% (as it's impossible to agree 110%) with what scruffylookin posted. 100%. I'm also close to a vegan, whos hobbies include lowering my footprint on our planet. When I look at the thread title, I'm so tempted to post some of the most awful things you could imagine, that humans are 100% responsible for, to animals and people and landscapes. I'm guilty of being vocal of my comparison of humans to locust. The last 100+ years, we've learned an incredible amount about technology. I think now it's time we prove that we can learn to use it and live happy on our planet. Unfortunately, most people are far to self absorbed and selfish to care about the planet we will leave to our children or how our direct personal actions, violently impact animals and people in other places. Yes, I feel the earth would be a much more peaceful and beautiful place, if we weren't on it. However, we are.

I don't view any action, to a person, that relates to war or military, in anyway, outside of incredibly rare acts of complete compassion, to be a sign of positive potential. At least not to the people who risk everything for peace.

I agree 100% (as it's impossible to agree 110%) with what scruffylookin posted. 100%. I'm also close to a vegan, whos hobbies include lowering my footprint on our planet. When I look at the thread title, I'm so tempted to post some of the most awful things you could imagine, that humans are 100% responsible for, to animals and people and landscapes. I'm guilty of being vocal of my comparison of humans to locust. The last 100+ years, we've learned an incredible amount about technology. I think now it's time we prove that we can learn to use it and live happy on our planet. Unfortunately, most people are far to self absorbed and selfish to care about the planet we will leave to our children or how our direct personal actions, violently impact animals and people in other places. Yes, I feel the earth would be a much more peaceful and beautiful place, if we weren't on it. However, we are.

I don't view any action, to a person, that relates to war or military, in anyway, outside of incredibly rare acts of complete compassion, to be a sign of positive potential. At least not to the people who risk everything for peace.

Yes there are a lot of evil acts humankind has perpetrated while living on this planet, but there are also many beautiful acts. The whole point of this thread is potential. Some of us may act like locusts, but we are most definitely not locusts in one respect, we have the ability to determine what we do on this planet. Potential can go either way and this thread is the celebration of the fulfillment of that potential which raises us above the circumstances put upon us by life and makes things just that little bit better for our own-selves and those around us. Life is what we practice and celebrating the practice of the true meaning of courage which is to speak and act from one's heart, is what this thread is about.

We are not hiding or ignoring the wrongs done, but we are instead showing that there is another way. Showing and inspiring what is possible with our human potential and loving those who struggle to fulfill their own.

"A human being is not one thing among others; things determine each other, but man is ultimately self-determining. What he becomes - within the limits of endowment and environment- he has made out of himself. In the concentration camps, for example, in this living laboratory and on this testing ground, we watched and witnessed some of our comrades behave like swine while others behaved like saints. Man has both potentialities within himself; which one is actualized depends on decisions but not on conditions.”

“Love is the only way to grasp another human being in the innermost core of his personality. No one can become fully aware of the very essence of another human being unless he loves him. By his love he is enabled to see the essential traits and features in the beloved person; and even more, he sees that which is potential in him, which is not yet actualized but yet ought to be actualized. Furthermore, by his love, the loving person enables the beloved person to actualize these potentialities. By making him aware of what he can be and of what he should become, he makes these potentialities come true.”

― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

We are not hiding or ignoring the wrongs done, but we are instead showing that there is another way. Showing and inspiring what is possible with our human potential and loving those who struggle to fulfill their own.

What have humans done that benefits every other living thing, that is not a direct result of something harmful we have done?

SWFL, I liked your story, though it would have been a more gratifying read if the marine had clocked Eddie at the end, age 60 or not. Some people just need it.

Anyway, I know it's a pretty iconic photograph, but it's always amazing to me what humans have the capacity to envision and construct.

Everyone wanted to punch him out, however the extreme gratification for all but one in the room came from the fact that the Marine just stood there, said nothing, did nothing, did not tell his own story, did not even speak, certainly did not cry, didn't even wince, it reminded me of this....

tomb_unknown.jpg

BTW, he just stood there, did not run, did not leave. NO words were spoken after that as eventually everyone milled about and left the room.

Less talk more examples. If you don't agree with it,don't post here. That said,there could be a thread in there for that discussion so feel free to start one about that,(Not directed at the above SWF,but for KB and a couple of others).

[/color]

Less talk more examples. If you don't agree with it,don't post here. That said,there could be a thread in there for that discussion so feel free to start one about that,(Not directed at the above SWF,but for KB and a couple of others).

Yeah, thanks PCS, I was hoping when I started this to inspire and not light a fire. I think that we forget how much has been accomplished and it is easier to seek out the bad vs. the good. Certainly the Highway man is a great example of that.

[/color]

Yeah, thanks PCS, I was hoping when I started this to inspire and not light a fire. I think that we forget how much has been accomplished and it is easier to seek out the bad vs. the good. Certainly the Highway man is a great example of that.

Sorry man, my bad. I slipped.

As a peace offering that's on topic of everybody, I offer this picture.

83965_q75.jpg

Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day.

Thornton Wilder

To remind of what matters most...

mother-teresa.jpg

To help us laugh...

Marx-Bros.jpg

Bessie Smith

bessiesmith.jpg

The Greatest Stories Ever Told

shakespeare.jpg

Plato

plato.jpg

Mikhail Nikolaevich Baryshnikov

MikhailBaryshnikov.jpg

Ludwig Van (as he's known in Clockwork Orange :))

ludwig.jpg

Einstein_portrait2.jpg

Clara Barton

clara-barton.jpg

Carl-Sagan-portrait.jpg

Rembrandt (The Nigh****ch)

The_Nightwatch_by_Rembrandt.jpg

Kuala Lumpur---if you've never don it, google images for what I think is the most beautiful city in the world.

kualalumpurcitycentre.jpg

ManhattanIsland.jpg

Panama Canal

panama_canal.jpg

Congressional Medal of Honor

CARLTON W. BARRETT

Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Army, 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division.

Place and date: Near St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France, 6 June 1944.

Entered service at: Albany, New York.

Born: Fulton, New York.

G.O. No.: 78, 2 October 1944.

On the morning of D-Day Pvt. Barrett, landing in the face of extremely heavy enemy fire, was forced to wade ashore through neck-deep water. Disregarding the personal danger, he returned to the surf again and again to assist his floundering comrades and save them from drowning.

Refusing to remain pinned down by the intense barrage of small-arms and mortar fire poured at the landing points, Pvt. Barrett, working with fierce determination, saved many lives by carrying casualties to an evacuation boat lying offshore.

In addition to his assigned mission as guide, he carried dispatches the length of the fire-swept beach; he assisted the wounded; he calmed the shocked; he arose as a leader in the stress of the occasion. His coolness and his dauntless daring courage while constantly risking his life during a period of many hours had an inestimable effect on his comrades and is in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

Jean Piaget (1896-1980) brought the theory of knowledge out of the realm of philosophy and into a science by observing that children’s logic and modes of thinking are entirely different from those of adults; children are constantly creating and testing their own theories of the world. As the Director of the International Bureau of Education, he declared in 1934 that, “only education is capable of saving our societies from possible collapse, whether violent, or gradual.”

Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.

Albert Einstein

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.

Henry David Thoreau

Experience is the child of thought, and thought is the child of action.

Benjamin Disraeli

Men do less than they ought,

unless they do all they can.

Thomas Carlyle

The power of imagination makes us infinite.

John Muir

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.

Epictetus

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Arthur C. Clarke

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.

Samuel Smiles

Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need.

Voltaire

You cannot plough a field by

turning it over in your mind.

Author Unknown

The best way out is always through.

Robert Frost

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.

Willing is not enough; we must do.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We are still masters of our fate.

We are still captains of our souls.

Winston Churchill

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Wayne Gretzky

Note: the entire piece runs close to an hour

Archived