Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

I am looking into investing in some prescription drug companies.  Prescription drugs are being heavily taxed so the prices will skyrocket.

You can't solve our healthcare crisis without fixing the cost of drugs.

Already happened to me. I used to pay like $30-$40 for Concerta and Seroquel, and now I pay about $140

White House Extends 'Individual Mandate' Deadline

The Obama administration is giving individuals who buy health insurance through government-run marketplaces until the end of March to enroll in a plan without a penalty, an administration official said.

The administration plans to issue guidelines soon to clear up confusion over deadlines under President Barack Obama’s healthcare law, according to the official, who asked for anonymity Wednesday because the change hadn’t been formally announced.

The open enrollment period extends from Oct. 1 to March 31. Under the law, anyone who isn’t covered for three months or longer faces a financial penalty for not having insurance. In order for the insurance to take effect, uninsured Americans would have to sign up by Feb. 15 to avoid facing fines.

The change effectively gives individuals an extra six weeks to enroll.

Hagan, Nunn Latest Red-State Democrats Calling for Obamacare Delay

North Carolina’s Sen. Kay Hagan and Georgia Senate candidate Michelle Nunn added their names Thursday to the lengthening list of red-state Democrats calling for a delay in enrollment in the problem-plagued Obamacare exchanges.

In a statement on her website, Hagan recommended the Obama administration extend the enrollment deadline for the Affordable Care Act by two months to make up for the time lost by people who have been unable to sign up for health insurance through the HealthCare.gov website.

"Frankly, the Administration had plenty of time to get these websites user ready, and I would like to keep the pressure on to get these problems fixed sooner rather than later so that North Carolina families can get online and shop for the plan that suits them best," Hagan said.

The fake fainting lady in the Rose Garden speech might be Obama's best work yet. Just hilariously phony.

It turns out that the lady was not a fake fainter. The latest narrative from Sarah Palin is that our Muslim President is actually a Kenyan witchdoctor and cast a spell on her.

• Like 3

a interesting problem I was wondering about since what I make is rather open to how you define it

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304799404579157630628710134?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Despite official statements in recent days, the problems at the federal and state health insurance exchanges are far from merely "technical." Based on my experience trying to navigate the utter confusion at the "Cover Oregon" health exchange over something as simple as determining one's income and eligibility for tax credits, I wonder if they'll ever get ObamaCare working.

And I'm someone who would love to sign up for one of the plans.

Consider, for example, that under the Affordable Care Act, income for self-employed people like myself is supposed to be determined by one's estimated 2014 modified adjusted gross income, or MAGI. Under the law, this means your net business income (gross income minus ordinary business expenses, or Line 12 on IRS form 1040) minus any IRA contributions, the deductible portion of self-employment taxes, and the premiums you paid for health insurance.

But question No. 26 of the Cover Oregon health application asks you to state not your net income but your "gross income (before costs and deductions)." There is no place to enter ordinary business expenses—at least 30%-45% of gross income for most small businesses—to get to your net business income, which is the starting point for determining MAGI.

Am I supposed to ignore the reference to "gross income" and simply enter my net business income instead in answer to question No. 26?

Nobody at Cover Oregon knows.

Or, as an alternative, am I supposed to enter the ordinary business expenses I deduct from my gross income on question No. 29 instead? That question asks if you have any extra deductions for "IRA contributions," "other taxable adjustments" (whatever that means) or "self-employment deductions," a category that sole proprietors, small businesses and CPAs generally take to refer to the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

Specifically, should I include ordinary business expenses as an extra deduction under "self-employment deductions" on question No. 29 along with the deductible portion of my self-employment taxes?

Nobody at Cover Oregon knows.

Then there's the rather glaring problem that eligibility for tax credits—one's estimated 2014 MAGI—is partly determined by one's estimated health-insurance costs in 2014. Which, of course, can only be determined by trying to come up with—you guessed it—your estimated 2014 MAGI.

So, your point is that the web pages aren't as complicated as a 1040? 

Larry, agreeing that the website is a failure doesn't mean you cross over to the other side.  It's admirable.

You should try admitting failure when it exists.

As I posted repeatedly in this thread, the best has yet to come.  Wait until next years renewal.  :lol:

A lot of people I know don't know how to do their own taxes.  Maybe they will allow H&R Block to open up to help people fill out these web pages.

Edited by chipwhich

Larry, agreeing that the website is a failure doesn't mean you cross over to the other side.  It's admirable.

You should try admitting failure when it exists.

Chip, actually responding to what people say doesn't mean you can't be on ES. (It just, apparently, means you can't be Republican.) You should try responding to what people actually say.

So, your point is that the web pages aren't as complicated as a 1040? 

The IRS can tell me which amount goes where in a 1040.

so your point is they made the ACA form so simple it is incomprehensible to those being paid to assist with it? 

throw in it is a crime if you put the wrong amount

Ditto.

It's tough when the facts prove opposite to your beliefs.

You haven't mentioned any facts, and are either delusional or dishonest as to my beliefs. (My money's on the latter.)

So, if you're waiting for my sympathy for how tough it is, then please, just imagine that you have it.