Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which coaches over the last 20 years do you think players feared the most?

How many coaches today do you think players legitimately fear while playing for them, even if they also respect and like the guy? How about over the last 20 years?

For instance, I can't imagine players fearing Norv Turner lol...but do you think players feared Gruden? I'm pretty damn sure that players fear Belichick. Shanahan most likely as well, though not to the same level.

So who would you name as coaches players fear/feared while playing for them?

Tom Coughlin for sure. He runs a tight ship. Possibly Jim Schwartz in Detroit. Morris seems to demand a lot of respect. Don't know if fear is really the right word though. Jon Fox seems pretty strict.

I think a guy like McDaniels tried that approach, but didn't earn the respect for that style of coaching.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

For lol :yes:...

Yeah, totally missed that very first sentence. :ols:

unless they were superstars players were notoriously afraid of Jimmy Johnson

Hell, I was afraid of Jimmy Johnson lol...

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

Gruden, Belichick, possibly Del Rio...

Was Gruden really a coach players feared while playing for him? I know he has that "Chuckie" look and all lol...

Buddy Ryan, Barry Switzer, Bill Parcells, Mike Ditka, and Marty Schotenheimer.

Barry Switzer? He was a train wreck. He literally let the inmates run the asylum.....all of your others i would agree with, though Marty certainly to a lesser extent.

Define "fear" because I don't understand the question.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

Does anyone think Cowher would qualify?

If you were a veteran, playing for Cowher was a picnic as he more or less let you run your own schedule. It took a while to reach that point though,

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 11:47 AM ----------

Ditka

From what I understand, most players under Ditka thought he was kind of a goofy blowhard. That '85 Bears team had two head coaches.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 11:48 AM ----------

Buddy Ryan

Only if you were on offense. Even then, you didn't experience fear, you experienced abandoment and contempt.

If you played on defense, you probably got to go hunting with Buddy, which would have been fun.

I think that Zorn, Spurrier, Gailey, Norv Turner, Wandstad, Crennell, Charlie Weiss, Wade Phillips, and Switzer are just a few that players feared to play for because they knew they were jokes. How can you respect any of these coaches? Only one has a Super Bowl win and he did it with Jimmy Johnson players. All of them have great football minds as DC, OC or College HC experience but not as NFL HC's. You could also put Marty Schottenheimer in that category. If I am looking for a HC I want someone that can let their assistants do their jobs and knows how to assemble the right mix of assistants that maximize the talent of the position they are teaching. If you don't trust your assistants then you will fail. Why do you think Gibbs, Belichick, Cowher, Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin and Mike Tomlin were or are successful? Andy Reid, Jason Garret, Norv Turner, Todd Haley are just some that don't or will not give up their play calling duties and continue to fail to achieve Super Bowl wins because if it.

Problem is, in today's NFL, coaches get nowhere "bullying" or putting the "fear of god" in these players. Some of them don't care, because they get their pay no matter what. In the days of Halas, Paul Brown, Shula, Landry and Lombardi, players were playing for the livlihood. Guys had 2nd jobs in the offseason and they did everything and more that the coaches demanded them to. So, I really think it's hard to find a coach in today's game that players fear.

Over the past twenty years:

(1) Parcells, (2) Ditka (tail end of Bears run) (3) Coughlin (major *****), (4) Buddy Ryan (Cardinals), (5) Marty (6) Belicheck (cold hearted SOB), (7) Don Shula (mellowed a bit by then, but still SOB), (8) Singletary (total ***), (9) Shannahan (10) Jim Mora Sr. (playoffs?!?!?).

I'm sure I forgot someone, but this is my list for now. Good thread.

By feared, I take it you mean perform or get the hell out. Parcells, definitely, Belichek & Coughlin (former Parcells guys), Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Marty, Vermiel (architects) & yes, I believe Shanny is on this list. Nobody feared Switzer (substitute teacher), Ditka (blowhard), Rex Ryan, Pete Carroll & Gruden (rah-rah guys). I think Gibbs, Holmgren, Kubiak, Dungy, Jeff Fisher, Sean Payton, Ken Wisenhunt, John Fox & The Harbaugh boys are well respected by players, but not feared. I don't want to even think about Norv, Wade Phillips, or Zorn.

Archived