Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know defensive end Jarvis Jenkins (again)

themurf

jenkins060512.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Usually when I do a “getting to know” feature on a local player, it’s someone who has just come to town as a rookie or free agent.

But in the case of Washington Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins, I decided to make an exception because — in his own words — the second-year pro feels like he’s starting over after missing the 2011 season due to a knee injury suffered during the preseason.

It was a shame too, because for as good as first-round pick Ryan Kerrigan looked during his inaugural campaign, Jenkins looked better during training camp last year.

By the time the preseason rolled around, some ‘Skins fans were beginning to openly wonder if the franchise had landed a steal with the 41st overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft as the Clemson standout continued to look the part.

Unfortunately, shortly after defensive coordinator Jim Haslett declared Jenkins was having the most impressive training camp of any Redskins lineman, his season was over before it ever truly got started thanks to a torn ACL.

With that in mind, I caught up with Jenkins to see how everything was coming along with the injury and to …

Here’s what he had to say:

“I’m feeling pretty good. I just need to get back into football shape and get the concept of our gameplan down pat and I’ll be good to go,” Jenkins said.

Just how tough was it to have a productive training camp and start to the preseason, only to have everything taken away from you before you ever got to step onto the field for your first regular season game with the Redskins?

“It was hard having to sit down and watch my teammates play without me, but after I sat down and analyzed everything, I knew I just needed to get healthy first,” he said. “I just took it one day at a time because I realized it would be a minute while I was out, but now I’m happy to be back here with my teammates.”

When you were forced out of the lineup like that, were you still able to come around Redskins Park to break down the film and everything else that the guys were going through?

“Most definitely,” Jenkins said. “While I was hurt, I was still going to meetings and trying to learn from the mistakes that other defensive linemen were making during the season. I still remember what I learned last year, so I’m out here trying not to make those same types of mistakes while I’m playing ball.

“Obviously if I was with the team last year, we could have had more depth,” he continued. “But I got hurt and some guys stepped up and made plays. Now we’ve got a lot of depth and we can just play ball.”

From last year to this year, how different is your mindset? I mean, coming in you’re a rookie and you’re head is spinning as you try to transition to the pros, but now you’re starting your second season without actually having played your rookie one.

“When you’re out of football for eight months — not really on the field playing — it’s going to take a little bit of time to get back into it,” Jenkins said. “Right now I’m focusing more on getting in football shape, playing constant plays back-to-back and learning not to make mistakes when I’m tired. Last year was my first time getting hurt and not playing, so it’s good to be out here playing.”

Do you feel like this is almost like going through your rookie season all over again since you didn’t ever truly get a chance to show the world what you’re made of?

“Honestly, it’s like having another rookie season,” Jenkins said. “I played three games*, but that’s not enough. I didn’t get the gristle of the full NFL season. In the preseason, they’re just seeing how guys react and they’re bringing in other guys to see how they handle certain situations. But when you’re in the regular season, that’s when it really counts and I haven’t really experienced that yet.”

*To be clear, Jenkins played in three preseason games before tearing his ACL against Baltimore. He didn’t actually play any regular season games.

Has Coach Haslett or anyone else told you what they envision your role being this season?

Click here for the full article.

Nice interview and article.

Getting Jenkins back should be a huge boost to our line. I always remember last year when the coaches said Jenkins was playing the best of everyone in the DLine group, and was pretty crushed when I heard he had a season ending injury. His coming back will hopefully take the line another step forward.

Now if Cofield can develop further as an NT, Orakpo gets another move, and Kerrigan keeps developing well, this should be a highly dangerous front 7.

Now if Cofield can develop further as an NT, Orakpo gets another move, and Kerrigan keeps developing well, this should be a highly dangerous front 7.

Actually, if Chris Neild can take a step forward and become our base 3-4 NT, it would kill to have Cofield and Jenkins at the ends.

I think Murf is finally walking into light! I told you Clemson is the right school! :ols: Glad to see you are coming to your senses Murf!

Love you mean it! :pfft:

To me, Jarvis Jenkins would be better off if he followed the example of the players on Monday Night Football who introduce themselves via their high school and completely ignore their college. No one likes Clemson. No one.

To me, Jarvis Jenkins would be better off if he followed the example of the players on Monday Night Football who introduce themselves via their high school and completely ignore their college. No one likes Clemson. No one.

This VT fan certainly doesn't!

Btw great job on the interview. I really enjoy reading these. It's encouraging to see Jenkins stayed so positive throughout the year and studying film while he couldn't play. What he learned will only speed up his development.

Good article - thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that Jenkins is bouncing back from his injury. But my favorite part of the interview ...

“I’m just a part of the defense,” Jenkins said. “I just need to be on my assignments so our defense can execute. I’m not going to be no one-man show or try to prove that I’m the player that everyone expects me to be. I’m not going to try and make plays that aren’t there for me to make. I’m just going to try and make plays through our disciplined defense.”

That's what I want to hear from our young talented linemen. Despite his tremendous potential his personal focus is to play disciplined football and execute his assignment (not seek personal accolades). I love it.

Good job Murf! Disciplined Defense are the words that ring loudly. These guys are unselfish and it doesn't matter who gets the sack or interception or forces the fumble. Expect the Redskins Defense to be dominating. One goal, one team... HTTR

Good article - thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that Jenkins is bouncing back from his injury. But my favorite part of the interview ...

That's what I want to hear from our young talented linemen. Despite his tremendous potential his personal focus is to play disciplined football and execute his assignment (not seek personal accolades). I love it.

I agree that is refreshing. Just another solid, good character, great teammate guy Mike and Bruce have been trying to pull in.

I have no problem admitting when I first heard Jenkins' name called during last year's draft, I was like WHAT? (Just like I was with LeRibeus this year) But I must say, I love his attitude and work ethic and am very excited to see how it translates on the field this season.

Here's another article which has me pretty excited to see him in action this year

Redskins DE Jenkins benefits from timing of injury

June 05, 2012 -- 7:14 PM

Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins obviously wanted to play last season. But the fact that he got hurt so early helped him – at least when it came to working out. Jenkins didn’t have to spend the entire offseason rehabbing his knee.

Instead, he also was able to focus on strengthening it, as well as working hard on his upper body.

“That’s what my dad talked to me about,” Jenkins said. “’It’s in God’s way you got hurt, but this gives you a chance to get your upper body strong like you always wanted.’ I had to take a positive out of that.

“I was doing upper body six days a week. I feel more explosive and powerful and I definitely feel a lot quicker. Just getting my upper body strong will help my game this year.”

The other positive: Jenkins said his right knee is stronger than before. That will come in handy when he’s working on the right side – as he’s mostly done in the OTAs – and pushing off that leg.

“I notice that I’m very explosive,” he said. “I’m definitely more explosive off my right leg because I’ve been training so hard. It’s stronger than my left.”

By the time Jenkins tore the ACL in his knee last summer, the coaches already were anticipating he would be their best linemen by season’s end. If he’s stronger and a little more explosive, then there’s no reason to think he won’t be that player this season.

The best way for the Redskins’ defense to improve is for their front seven to apply even more pressure. A healthy Jenkins would help achieve that goal.

“I’m more than eager,” he said. “I’ve never been out of football that long. I’m ready to put some pads on.”

Redskins DE Jenkins benefits from timing of injury | Washington Examiner

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/redskins-confidential/2012/06/redskins-de-jenkins-benefits-timing-injury/695361

I am torn expectations wise. The pessimistic side of me remembers being told these injuries are usually 2 years before back to full speed. Heck, I remember having a small tear in my knee playing soccer, and while the strength was there, the coordination and trust in it left me more than a year before I was as sharp on the pitch. I was always just a fraction of a second slower reacting.

The optimist side of me reads about the additional power he has on the right side and how it may help him playing on the right side of the defense. Then I think back to breaking my right ankle playing soccer and how it lead to the only time in my life I could dunk playing basketball. Hopping around on my left leg for a couple of months (hate crutches) gave me the ups I needed to dunk. At 6'4", one would think I could dunk, but months 2-8 after the injury was the only time in my life I could dunk. The movie title White Men Can't Jump is true for me. Additionally, if it is a 2 year healing process, he will be back full strength when we need him most, as I expect next year to be better than this one record wise.

Archived