Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know quarterback Kirk Cousins

themurf

7150168605_9dd5983ace.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The Washington Redskins announced the signing of rookie quarterback Kirk Cousins, who the team selected in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft (102nd overall), Thursday morning.

At 6-foot-3 and 214 lbs., Cousins looks like a prototypical quarterback. Of course, that didn’t stop many of the so-called experts from openly questioning Washington’s decision to select the Michigan State standout because the team had already landed Heisman Trophy winner, Robert Griffin III.

The Redskins weren’t nearly as concerned with conventional wisdom, so they happily grabbed the 23-year-old who was a three-year team captain. And if you forget RGIII for a minute, it’s not tough to see where the team was coming from — with Cousins completing 64 percent of his passes while throwing for 9,131 yards with 66 touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 146.08 (both are school records) during his stellar college career.

I had the chance to chat with Cousins yesterday about the new contract, his transition to the pros and more. Here’s what he had to say:

“I think it was just important for me to get it done as soon as possible and get going on what’s most important, which is learning this offense and being ready to play come the preseason,” Cousins said. “Certainly it’s another step in becoming an NFL player. I’ve never signed a professional contract before, so I guess it’s another step in the process of a long dream of becoming an NFL quarterback.”

How is everything coming along as you dive into the playbook and learn this new offense?

“I’m trying to take it day by day,” he said. “It doesn’t happen all at once. It reminds me quite a bit of my freshman year of college. It takes a while to get to where you’re not really having to think and you’re just playing and reacting. But every day I’m taking another step forward and I’ve got to stay patient and understand that it’s going to take time to learn this offense.”

Do you feel like it’s easier to learn everything that’s being thrown at you considering the bulk of the spotlight is focused on the other newly-acquired quarterback?

“I don’t think the spotlight affects my day-to-day preparation,” Cousins said. “I think Robert is staying focused on what he’s got to do and I’m focused on what I’ve got to do. I don’t think the spotlight really affects our preparation.”

What are some of the biggest challenges you’ve faced as you’re trying to master Mike Shanahan’s offense?

“I think football is football, so a lot of these things I did do in college,” he said. “But there’s a new way of saying it and a new language we have to speak — a different way to say the same thing. And obviously you’re going to get coached on the fundamentals differently with every coach you work with. There are some old habits I have to forget about some new habits I have to work on.”

What are some of those old habits you’re talking about?

“Like my progressions and how I read a specific play might change, even if it’s the same play I ran in college,” Cousins said. “The footwork is certainly different because aspects of my footwork are going to be stressed differently here from Michigan State. I like the coaching so far though. I think it’s all been very good and it’s neat when they bring up a coaching point and then show it being done in a game on a Sunday by Tom Brady or Matt Schaub or Peyton Manning. You can see why it works and how it can help me moving forward.”

What kind of timeline are you on as you try to learn everything they’re throwing at you right now?

Click here for the full article.

Getting to know you, getting to all about you......

I'll admit, I was pretty pissed at the pick when it was first announced, but the more I read and saw how the rest of the draft played out for us, I was convinced that they made the right pick. I didn't see the big picture at first.

Having a permanent backup QB, who may be too limited to start, long-term, for most teams, but is smart enough to work within a system when the starter goes down, is a valuable tool these days. Could also be a long and healthy career.

Didnt get to watch alot of College Football last year (working and giging just about every Saturday) but did see the Michigan St/ Georgia Bowl game in which Kurt was just was just relentless in bringing Mich. St back over a very good Georgia team. I liked the pick from Day 1 and have seen nothing to make me think twice about it. Having Kurt as the #1 back up next year will make me feel ALOT better...

That last line, "Seriously, how is that a bad thing?" summed up the whole problem I have with people complaining about the Cousins pick.

We not only have our franchise QB in RG3, but we have a VERY promising developmental prospect in Cousins who not only could end up as a very good back up, but could develop enough where we could trade him and parlay him into a very high pick, depending on how good he looks.

Smart teams operate in the draft with not only the upcoming season in mind, but with MANY future seasons in mind as well. I was shocked when the pick happened, mostly because by that point I wasn't paying close attention after the 1st round and assumed Cousins was taken in the 2nd or 3rd round as most projected. We got great value here.

Last year, the Skins were exposed on offense. No real O-Line to talk about, no WRs that could stretch the field, banged up RBs. and add to the mix BAD QBs. Let's admit it .. Rexy is Gross man! And, Beck was a nightmare.

This proud franchise has been in search of decent QBs for almost well over a decade. So, I am elated that now we have 2 solid prospect - 1 a starter, and the other a backup.

I just noticed that Skins QBs wear yellow jerseys for practice.

Somebody needs to swap his jersey for a Captain Kirk shirt, before training camp gets serious.

As long as his jersey isn't swapped for a red shirt. Those guys are always the first to get killed on away missions.

We not only have our franchise QB in RG3, but we have a VERY promising developmental prospect in Cousins who not only could end up as a very good back up, but could develop enough where we could trade him and parlay him into a very high pick, depending on how good he looks.

Smart teams operate in the draft with not only the upcoming season in mind, but with MANY future seasons in mind as well. I was shocked when the pick happened, mostly because by that point I wasn't paying close attention after the 1st round and assumed Cousins was taken in the 2nd or 3rd round as most projected. We got great value here.

This pick still bugs me a little, could the FO have traded down a couple of spots and still drafted him? I hope he works out to the point he could be traded for draft picks but I think we should have drafted another OL or LB in the 4th.

This pick still bugs me a little, could the FO have traded down a couple of spots and still drafted him? I hope he works out to the point he could be traded for draft picks but I think we should have drafted another OL or LB in the 4th.

Considering our FO had him pegged as a 2nd rounder, I doubt that they thought he'd be around much later. After us, the Bills and Chiefs both were candidates to take a QB.

Archived