Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Man I Love Me Some Mystery Science Theater 3000... Anyone Else?

shakinaiken

Big fan since its first airing. Me and some pals used to get severely altered :D back in the day and just laugh for hours watching several taped episodes in a row. Then we started actually getting a hold of the movies they were lampooning and just watching them (and doing our own MST3K shtick at times, of course) and that became somewhat of a ritual. Good stuff. :ols:

You aren't alone. The real question is: Mike or Joel?

:saber:

Personally, Mike fan, but then again i grew up in ther Mike era of the late 90's... i respect Joel, but Mike's style seems slightly more witty and at the same time more accessible...

in fact most of my top episodes include Mike as the host... to be honest, while this may inflame some fans, i tend to prefer Sci-Fi riffing episodes compared to the comedy central days. After they were picked up by Sci-Fi channel, their riffing style and rythym was far superior to the early days: unfortunately however, the show wasnt popular anymore, so it ended up being a quick stint...

Also, most fans know this, but rifftrax is an extension of the premise... and cinematic titanic

I of course prefer Rifftrax

Of course.

I think I prefered Joel and a lot of those classic episodes, although Mike had some great ones too, like Hobgoblins, Puma Man, Touch Of Satan, Space Mutiny....

By the way...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343252-MST3K-Thread&highlight=mst3k

ah, damn... i searched, but it seems im not that cool. well its good to know, there are some serious fans. show doesn't recieve enough credit- especially within my generation...felt obliged to inquire. Such a great, underrated show.

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 06:10 AM ----------

Big fan since its first airing. Me and some pals used to get severely altered :D back in the day and just laugh for hours watching several taped episodes in a row. Then we started actually getting a hold of the movies they were lampooning and just watching them (and doing our own MST3K shtick at times, of course) and that became somewhat of a ritual. Good stuff. :ols:

sounds similar to sessions of my own. of course, none of my friends found interest... generally just myself and my brother... good times.

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 06:11 AM ----------

sounds similar to sessions of my own. of course, none of my friends found interest... generally just myself and my brother... good times.

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 06:19 AM ----------

Not alone, love that show and that style of comedy. Remember several episodes trying to get my friends to like it and i was the only one laughing hysterically.

I feel you.. was also one who attempted to get friends "involved," but never really fruitioned. its just a certain style of comedy..

Personally, Mike fan, but then again i grew up in ther Mike era of the late 90's... i respect Joel, but Mike's style seems slightly more witty and at the same time more accessible...

in fact most of my top episodes include Mike as the host... to be honest, while this may inflame some fans, i tend to prefer Sci-Fi riffing episodes compared to the comedy central days. After they were picked up by Sci-Fi channel, their riffing style and rythym was far superior to the early days: unfortunately however, the show wasnt popular anymore, so it ended up being a quick stint...

Also, most fans know this, but rifftrax is an extension of the premise... and cinematic titanic

I of course prefer Rifftrax

Yeah, rifftrax is awesome, and a great way to get around the licensing issues that always plagued MST3K.

Count me in. Miss that show... The Turkey Day Marathons were great. I think I still have a dozen or so VHS tapes with a bunch of episodes. Guess they will get thrown out since I dont even have a working VHS player anymore.... I do have the MST3K movie on DVD -which was really good too.

Both Hosts were great. If you pressed me, I would go with Mike.

Absolutely love it! Have about 90 hours on VHS! Still one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

---------- Post added April-27th-2012 at 01:15 PM ----------

Great show. Was a major feature of my college days. My friend and I probably watched the "Manos - The Hands of Fate" episode 20 times, and just about memorized it. Brilliant stuff.

The Greatest MST3K EVER! Loved every minute of it!

i used to trade VHS tapes of these. one of the greatest shows in television history.

Mike vs Joel is so tired. they were both great in their own way. I usually say "Mike" only because it seems like the majority say "Joel" :)

fans of MST3k should definitely check out "Manos in HD" ( http://www.manosinhd.com/ ). a dude stumbled across the original work print of "Manos: the Hands of Fate" and he's restoring it for an HD release. he says this print looks 100 times better than the version that made it to theatres (and what you see on MST3k) because the original transfer was botched so badly.

original:

snapshot20110912101537.png.jpg

work print:

manoswprint-0014-2-1024x663.jpg

it's amazing how much fidelity was lost. you can see all sorts of previously-invisible details in the background and costumes, especially darker, more poorly lit scenes like during the ritual, or in torgo's room, or well the whole movie really. can't wait till this is released.

anyway, here's my list of favorite and/or underrated episodes:

Space Mutiny

Attack of The The Eye Creatures

Time Chasers

Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders

The Wild Wild World of Bat Woman

Joel, not Mike.

Mike is an idiot.

dude, Mike is awesome. Joel puts me to sleep

---------- Post added April-28th-2012 at 02:42 AM ----------

I enjoyed the Joel episodes best. But I thought the movie (riffing "This Island Earth") was the best MST3K performance, and Rifftrax is great. So guess I like them both.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rtOXMZlMTkg/S8ttLyKup9I/AAAAAAAADCs/4MVq6GtPOrM/s1600/hecklers.jpg

very much agree. the riffing in MST3K the Movie is them at their best. Final Sacrifice, Night of the Blood Beast, and Pumaman come close, but dont quite match up

---------- Post added April-28th-2012 at 02:44 AM ----------

I enjoyed the Joel episodes best. But I thought the movie (riffing "This Island Earth") was the best MST3K performance, and Rifftrax is great. So guess I like them both.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rtOXMZlMTkg/S8ttLyKup9I/AAAAAAAADCs/4MVq6GtPOrM/s1600/hecklers.jpg

very much agree. the riffing in MST3K the Movie is them at their best. Final Sacrifice, Night of the Blood Beast, and Pumaman come close, but dont quite match up

Archived