Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Teller

^ That'd be September....

Let's go for "AUGUST" (1st to be exact)

Pittsburgh Pirates 54 53 .505

Washington Nationals 52 56 .481

So what your saying is that for the first 5 months of the season, the Nats and Bucs were neck n neck in the W-L department (Bucs were in 1st in their division), but the Nats smoked that ass (by 10 games) down the stretch?

So what your saying is that for the first 5 months of the season, the Nats and Bucs were neck n neck in the W-L department (Bucs were in 1st in their division), but the Nats smoked that ass (by 10 games) down the stretch?

Yeah... But then again your team didn't have your morale completely killed by a BS call in the bottom of the 19th inning, which directly led to a 10 game losing streak...

Yeah... But then again your team didn't have your morale completely killed by a BS call in the bottom of the 19th inning, which directly led to a 10 game losing streak...
Your right. We just play in a division that has had THE dominant regular season NL team for the last 5 years in Philly (102, 97, 93, 92, & 89 wins). And before that the Braves for 14 years (1 Mets division thrown in). You can't be within sniffing distance of 1st with 54 wins on 8/1. Philly would have been clear by 14 games at that point.

Your right. We just play in a division that has had THE dominant regular season NL team for the last 5 years in Philly (102, 97, 93, 92, & 89 wins). And before that the Braves for 14 years (1 Mets division thrown in). You can't be within sniffing distance of 1st with 54 wins on 8/1. Philly would have been clear by 14 games at that point.

Nice "We're not in first because of our division not because of our team" :thumbsup:

i like the bucs.. been a fan of presley and mccutchen for some time. they have some interesting pieces offensively and defensively, have a lot of players with potential ,and some real fight.

unfortunately, just like last year (as i predicted before they started to fall apart), i think they will fall short and that their starting pitching is not strong enough for them to be a factor in their division.

Nice "We're not in first because of our division not because of our team" :thumbsup:
No, we are nit in 1st because we are close to a .500 team. Unlike the Bucs, being within 5 games of .500 leaves us zero opportunity to be anywhere close to 1st.

i like the bucs.. been a fan of presley and mccutchen for some time. they have some interesting pieces offensively and defensively, have a lot of players with potential ,and some real fight.

Presley just works. He's the perfect blue collar player for a blue collar city. I have to admit, even I'm surprised that he's continued to hit as well as he has. Though I'd never admit it to Bubble, I kind of thought pitchers would figure out some tendencies and he'd drop into the mid .200s, but so far, no dice.

And McCutchen in the 3 hole has a legit shot at 30-30-100 this year. I couldn't be happier that we locked him up longterm.

unfortunately, just like last year (as i predicted before they started to fall apart), i think they will fall short and that their starting pitching is not strong enough for them to be a factor in their division.

I think pitching is a strength this year. The addition of Bedard has already shown it's going to pay off (pending his health which is ALWAYS an issue.) I think A.J. Burnett will rebound in a division that's even softer this year. And McDonald, Correia, and Morton are solid; if unspectacular. We're still a pitch-to-contact team, and better defensively with the addition of Barmes.

The pen has been a little better than I expected so far. I suspect Meek will be the bridge to Hanrahan, with Daniel McCutchen being sent to Indianapolis. And once we get to The Hammer, it's game over.

Try being in the AL East and having to deal with the 2 highest payrolls in all of baseball.

You're going to talk to Pirates fans about payroll? Seriously? :)

More to the Nats fans. You guys are in an easy division payroll wise. Only the Cubs spend money. I've had to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox being 1-2 most years in payroll. Did you get my PM?

Granted it's the opposite problem, but we've had to deal with being bottom three in payroll for 20 years or more. I understand that you make your own bed, but it's a lot different being in a town of 400,000 as opposed to a city (New York) of 8 million. I've thought for ages that baseball needs true revenue sharing. That's why the NFL is as successful as it is. Every team is on equal footing, and has an "equal" chance. If the Packers were a baseball team, you'd likely never hear about them.

And no sir, I didn't get your PM. Sorry. My box isn't full either. If you could give 'er another shot, I'd appreciate it. Always good to hear from you. :cheers:

Granted it's the opposite problem, but we've had to deal with being bottom three in payroll for 20 years or more. I understand that you make your own bed, but it's a lot different being in a town of 400,000 as opposed to a city (New York) of 8 million. I've thought for ages that baseball needs true revenue sharing. That's why the NFL is as successful as it is. Every team is on equal footing, and has an "equal" chance. If the Packers were a baseball team, you'd likely never hear about them.

And no sir, I didn't get your PM. Sorry. My box isn't full either. If you could give 'er another shot, I'd appreciate it. Always good to hear from you. :cheers:

Damn. I sent it yesterday and it's not even in my sent folder. I'm sending a new one with a paraphrase of what it was about.

Presley just works. He's the perfect blue collar player for a blue collar city. I have to admit, even I'm surprised that he's continued to hit as well as he has. Though I'd never admit it to Bubble, I kind of thought pitchers would figure out some tendencies and he'd drop into the mid .200s, but so far, no dice.

And McCutchen in the 3 hole has a legit shot at 30-30-100 this year. I couldn't be happier that we locked him up longterm.

I think pitching is a strength this year. The addition of Bedard has already shown it's going to pay off (pending his health which is ALWAYS an issue.) I think A.J. Burnett will rebound in a division that's even softer this year. And McDonald, Correia, and Morton are solid; if unspectacular. We're still a pitch-to-contact team, and better defensively with the addition of Barmes.

i like the end of your bullpen (meek and hanrahan), but dont know much about it otherwise. it is good that bedard is seemingly healthy to start the season and that it has translated onto the field on his first start... but i think it's unwise to expect him pitch more than half his starts.. he's always a soft tissue injury from the DL.

and im not high on burnett. imo, he's been overrated since before he signed the yankees contract. perhaps his real worth will be somewhere between my pessimism and your optimism. and as far as the other guys go.. youre right, solid if unspectacular, but is that good enough to win your division? i doubt it.

the one thing that i think you have going for you is that your division is really weak. if you can get beat up on divisional opponents enough, and have bedard, burnett, and the rest play above expectations (my expectations i guess), you might have a chance at a wild card.

This team is soooooooooooooo offensively inept.

PS

I stopped believing that the Pirates were being unfairly unhampered by the economics of baseball a decade ago. First of all, there now is revenue sharing and there is now downward pressures applied to the big market payrolls. The Pirates could be competitive if their ownership wasn't happy with taking their check from MLB and declaring a profit with it.

This team is soooooooooooooo offensively inept.

PS

I stopped believing that the Pirates were being unfairly unhampered by the economics of baseball a decade ago. First of all' date=' there now is revenue sharing and there is now downward pressures applied to the big market payrolls. The Pirates could be competitive if their ownership wasn't happy with taking their check from MLB and declaring a profit with it.[/quote']

I guess the signings of McGehee (power), Barajas (some pop), and Barmes (ok, mostly defense) don't count? Nor does locking McCutchen down for 6, maybe 7 years. Nah, if you don't count overturning 1/3 of our starters, and improving at each spot, you're on the money. :ols:

So the Penguins and Flyers going to OT has pre-empted my Bucs, already in progress.

Those wretched SOBs (Pens) had better lose. If I'm watching this **** and they win, I'm going to be even more pissed off than I already am. Dirty though I feel for rooting for anything from Philly.

---------- Post added April-11th-2012 at 10:46 PM ----------

Touch 'em all, Clint!!!

(Sorry about the "mostly defense" comment, bud.) :ols:

Sounds kinda like Cowboys fans explaining their annual Nov-First to December-OOPS :ols:

I LOVE these games... B/c all season I've been watching the A's or Mariners as the late game... Finally it's us...

Glad to hear you're getting the games at least. Even if you have to stay up until the crickets stop chirping to see 'em. :ols:

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll do it again tonight. See ya here! (Or FB, or wherever.) :)

Archived