Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Teller

You know it, you love, and it's back. A brand new Bucs thread, for a brand new 2012 season!!!

I'll start by telling you why we're winning the division this year.

1) Pitching. 1.42 team ERA so far against the Phillies. The Phillies. The penciled-in NL East Champion. And A.J. Burnett is WAY ahead of schedule. Tossed a minor-league game today, went 4 2/3, 5 K, 2 H.

2) Pop. It hasn't shown up yet, but hell, we've faced Doc Hallady and Cliff Lee, arguably the two best pitchers in the NL. Casey McGehee can sting the ball, Rod Barajas has shown some pop (literally 1 1/2" from the game-winning dinger tonight), and Andrew McCutchen could well go 30-30 this year. Garrett Jones has some punch as well, and if Pedro Alvarez finally becomes the power hitter we expect (his career mirroring Aramis Ramirez) we're going to hit some balls out.

3) Speed. McCutchen, Presley and Tabata can flat out fly. We're going to have to play some small ball, and as Steve Blanton found out tonight, we'll do it well.

4) Heart. We don't have the big names. But we had the division lead until AUGUST last year. (When we got jobbed on the WORST call in the history of Major League Baseball against the Braves. Out...by...three...FEET!!!!) Things fell apart after that, but that experience was great for a young club. You're going to get dicked over once in a while, but you have to respond. Clint Hurdle's mantra this year is one word..."Finish" and we will. (Won't we Phils? You haven't won a series in our house since 2008, and McDonald will make sure that continues tomorrow.)

5) "Prince Albert." He's gone from the division. Thank you, sports gods.

6) Pitching. Did I mention that already? I did? Did I mention A.J. Burnett coming back early? I did? Well, it bears repeating....doesn't it Jim Thome?

7) Pirate Fans. Some loyal sons of ****es. We're dying for a winner. Did you hear that building tonight? It sounded like Game 7 of The Series.

8) Blue Collar Town, Blue Collar Approach. We'll work. We'll leg out infield hits for wins in the 10th. When you don't have the talent, you have to work harder. We do. And we will.

9) I ****ing said so. Self-explanatory.

10) For the first time in my ES posting "career," this post isn't sarcastic. I'm proud to be a Bucs fan again. And it's because we've got a legitimate contender on our hands. And Neal Huntington is making sure it'll stay that way. (With apologies to all of you other teams that want McCutchen...call us back in 6 or 7 years. LOCKDOWN.) We're keeping the talent we cultivate now. We're not stocking other teams. Which all leads me to one, final point.....

WHY...NOT...US?!?!?!?!

:point2sky

HELL YEAH!!! (BTW #3 you gotta put Jay Hay on there, did you see him rip that 1st pitch double in the 8th? Josh Harrison is going to be a great pinch hitter/runner this year)

LETS GO BUCCOS!!!!!!!

Anyone in the mood for raisin' a jolly roger?

HELL YEAH!!! (BTW #3 you gotta put Jay Hay on there, did you see him rip that 1st pitch double in the 8th? Josh Harrison is going to be a great pinch hitter/runner this year)

LETS GO BUCCOS!!!!!!!

Anyone in the mood for raisin' a jolly roger?

I'll raise a jolly roger, and raise you Lanny Fraterre's classic...."And there was NOOOOOOOOO doubt about it!!!"

Good call on Harrison too. I can't get a "feel" for him. But tonight, I believed. :ols:

You don't like it? Spin-a-roonie your ass to the Nats thread, and talk about any one of the 6 starts Strasburg is gonna make this year.

IF YA SMEEEEEELLLLLLLELELELELELELEL what the Bucs....are....cookin'.

Hit my music.

bucs will have a good 2 months and then be 20 games under 500 as usual

The math skills are weak with this one. How long is it from April to August? We were still in first the first week of August last year. And we're better this year.

You just jealous because he dominated the Pirates in his debut

I still remember that game :ols:

Masterful doesn't begin to describe that game. I remember it as well. Looked like peewee kids trying to hit Cy Young. :ols:

Honestly man, in my ideal (and definitely fantasy) world, the Bucs and Nats play for a trip to the Series.

gleefully wishing/hoping for an injury to an athlete is pretty classless.....even for a pittsburgh fan. but to each his own.

Dude. It was a joke. If I don't wish injury on Romo sits to pee or Vick, I CERTAINLY wouldn't wish an injury on Strasburg.

"Even for a Pittsburgh fan." I'll assume that was a joke too. I hate the Steelers and Pens, but there isn't a bad thing that can be said about Pittsburgh sports fans. There just isn't.

gleefully wishing/hoping for an injury to an athlete is pretty classless.....even for a pittsburgh fan. but to each his own.

That was a joke. It's like saying Vick will be a great QB for the Eagles....for the 5-6 games a year he's healthy. It's not wishing injury, it's pointing out his history. Granted, Stras doesn't have a major injury history, but Tommy John surgery is still something to be concerned about for a hard thrower. Lighten up Francis.

I hate the Steelers and Pens, but there isn't a bad thing that can be said about Pittsburgh sports fans.

:ols: That's so cute. Clearly you don't live around them. Maybe it's just the ones I'm surrounded by, but they're so spoiled by success that they get pissed when things don't go their way. I know people that will turn off a Steelers game if they don't score on their opening drive or give up a score on their opponent's opening drive. They won't watch the Pens if they lose a couple of games in a row. Pirates fans I have no issue with, because as an O's fan I feel for their suffering. They can't be bandwagon fans when kids turning old enough to drink this year don't remember a winning season.

Also, is there a way we can keep Bubble Screen out of the thread this year? His antics got old fast last year.

:ols: That's so cute. Clearly you don't live around them. Maybe it's just the ones I'm surrounded by, but they're so spoiled by success that they get pissed when things don't go their way. I know people that will turn off a Steelers game if they don't score on their opening drive or give up a score on their opponent's opening drive. They won't watch the Pens if they lose a couple of games in a row. Pirates fans I have no issue with, because as an O's fan I feel for their suffering. They can't be bandwagon fans when kids turning old enough to drink this year don't remember a winning season.

Also, is there a way we can keep Bubble Screen out of the thread this year? His antics got old fast last year.

I'm an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Closer to Pitt than DC, actually. This is decidedly Steeler country, much as I hate to say it. And from what I see, they're good, knowledgeable fans, who travel better than any others in the NFL. Penguin fans, I hate them. But that's mostly because I'm jealous of their success.

And I agree with you about Bucs and O's fans. We definitely can commiserate, based on recent (i.e. two decades worth of) history. No one "hates" teams that haven't been relevant since Bush I.

As for Bubble, I think it's wholly appropriate that his initials are "BS." I'm surprised dude hasn't at least gotten me a temp ban yet. :ols:

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

Rubber game coming up! LET'S GO BUCS!!!

"Even for a Pittsburgh fan." I'll assume that was a joke....

Nope.

Someone should start a Nats thread so we can have this thread for ourselves!

nobody cares about the pirates outside of this cry for attention thread.....unless they start winning....then the great pittsburgh sports fans will come out of the woodwork. but since it's an open forum and the nationals were mentioned.....

....Stras doesn't have a major injury history, but Tommy John surgery is still something to be concerned about for a hard thrower.

....just don't find it funny to joke about a mans livelihood.....but as i said, "to each his own." keep on swingin' though.

Nope.

nobody cares about the pirates outside of this cry for attention thread.....unless they start winning....then the great pittsburgh sports fans will come out of the woodwork. but since it's an open forum and the nationals were mentioned.....

Dude, I've started this thread for four years. And it gets plenty of action, thanks. If you don't like it, feel free to post in the life-long Nats fan thread. I don't need attention, and neither does my team. We've been doing it in Pittsburgh since 1887. Hopefully you can keep your team in town on attempt #3.

And yes, I feed trolls. Bad habit, but it entertains me, so....

....just don't find it funny to joke about a mans livelihood.....but as i said, "to each his own." keep on swingin' though.

Yep. And we're horrible fans as you pointed out. That's why I'm trolling the Nats thread, and you're such a right and fine gentleman in here. Get over yourself.

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

Alvarez NEARLY left the building. Hit the outside fence on the Riverwalk. BOOM!!!

Rally Cap ACTIVATED!!!!

Tabata juuuuuuuust missed giving us the lead.

And Alex Presley is a BEAST!!

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 03:56 PM ----------

Cutch aboard to lead off the 8th.

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

Hit and run was on, no dice. Fouled off.

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

Does McLouth really call for a left-hander from the pen every time he pinch hits? He hasn't had a chance to show he's the Nate McLouth that tore it up for us in his first stint, and not that guy who was a non-hitting, stumbling idiot in the ATL.

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 04:00 PM ----------

Navarro. Interesting.

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

Antonio ****o. English Translation: Anthony ****. Seriously. :ols:

Black guy with dreads playing one of the main positions on the field, runs when he has to but still has all the tools to be a great player without running...

Who am I talking about?

Duh, Andrew McGriffin III

---------- Post added April-8th-2012 at 04:09 PM ----------

Barmes has looked baffled through 3 games. Almost as bad as Thome. :ols:

Archived