Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @ericwinston & PFT: Texans Release RT Eric Winston

Enter Apotheosis

A couple of things...

It doesn't sound like he's in any hurry to sign:

"Unless somebody blows my socks off (with an offer), I won’t be in a rush to sign. I definitely want to be in a good situation like we had here.”

Still, he seems like an ideal fit. But he'll be costly. Can we afford him, given the cap uncertainty right now?

A couple of things...

It doesn't sound like he's in any hurry to sign:

"Unless somebody blows my socks off (with an offer), I won’t be in a rush to sign. I definitely want to be in a good situation like we had here.”

Still, he seems like an ideal fit. But he'll be costly. Can we afford him, given the cap uncertainty right now?

I don't really see how a starting spot with a ZBS team that runs almost exactly the same offense that he ran in Houston (with the same OC) couldn't be anything but a "good situation"

I don't really see how a starting spot with a ZBS team that runs almost exactly the same offense that he ran in Houston (with the same OC) couldn't be anything but a "good situation"

Ultimately, I think you're right, and I hope he decides that too. I'm just saying it sounds to me like he's going to take his time before signing with anybody. He's been dumped and it stung... a LOT. This sounds like a man scorned:

“Basically, they told me they were up against it (the salary cap) and didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut. “They said they hated to do it and maybe we could work something out down the road, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave. This just sucks.”

And now he wants teams to wine and dine him a little bit, make him feel wanted, boost his ego. So I'm guessing he'll shop himself around. That's my take, anyway...

(Here's where I got the Winston quotes.)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/03/texans-waive-offensive-tackle-eric-winston/

Houston, Eric Winston's former home with the Texans, is only 180 miles from Waco, home of Baylor University. In Texas, that's little more than a long commute. So I'm sure that Winston was able to closely follow RG3's amazing college career. Maybe that will help sway him to DC if it comes down to decision time between the Redskins and another team.

Houston, Eric Winston's former home with the Texans, is only 180 miles from Waco, home of Baylor University. In Texas, that's little more than a long commute. So I'm sure that Winston was able to closely follow RG3's amazing college career. Maybe that will help sway him to DC if it comes down to decision time between the Redskins and another team.

I don't know man. I lived down the street form Waco (aka Wal Mart) in Killeen/Fort Hood. Houston really wasn't part of the equation. Austin, most deifnitely. Dallas, some. Not really Houston though.

I don't know man. I lived down the street form Waco (aka Wal Mart) in Killeen/Fort Hood. Houston really wasn't part of the equation. Austin, most deifnitely. Dallas, some. Not really Houston though.

Ah, well, I'll take your word for it. Still though, I imagine RG3 was a big deal throughout the State. Winston had to have been exposed to some of that hype...

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

The Miami Herald reports free agent Eric Winston is looking to become the "highest-paid right tackle in the NFL."

That could winnow his list of suitors considerably, but still only 28 and coming off another big season, it's not an unachievable goal. He's set to meet with the Ravens, Rams, Chiefs and Lions after visiting the Dolphins on Wednesday.

Source: Miami Herald

Archived