Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT - Giants to release Brandon Jacobs... EDIT* He's Been Released

Champskins

Brandon Jacobs and the Giants couldn’t reach an agreement on a new contract, and so he’s on the way out.

Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports that the Giants will release Jacobs today after the two parties couldn’t work out a new deal.

Jacobs was due a $500,000 roster bonus and a base salary of $4.4 million, and although he said he was open to taking a pay cut, he apparently wasn’t willing to take as steep a pay cut as the Giants wanted.

Jacobs, who will turn 30 in July, has played his entire seven-year career with the Giants. He had 152 carries for 571 yards and seven touchdowns last season.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter And now, Brandon Jacobs officially has been released. One more free agent running back.

Most useless "power back" in the league. He hasn't had any power to him for the last two years at least. I would laugh when I saw the Giants put him in at short-yardage/goal line situations...Bradshaw is much more suited to that role now. Jacobs has no burst through the hole, and even when he had some he still needed five yards to reach "battering ram" speed.

He's a bum now.

Most useless "power back" in the league. He hasn't had any power to him for the last two years at least. I would laugh when I saw the Giants put him in at short-yardage/goal line situations...Bradshaw is much more suited to that role now. Jacobs has no burst through the hole, and even when he had some he still needed five yards to reach "battering ram" speed.

He's a bum now.

Agreed, although I think Cleveland picks him up in a hearbeat...

He's a bum now.

2 years? He has never been a power back. Its not injuries either, he "tippy taps" to the hole. Dude is a waste and he talks too much only for his team to bail him out.

Ouch. This one hurts. The move wasn't unexpected. But Jacobs was one of my favorite players on the team.

He's a bum now.

In 2010, Jacobs was second in the league in yards per carry. He also had 16 TD's over the last two seasons as the #2 back.

He's the Giants all-time leader in rushing TD's. What would he have had to do to back up his bluster?

As much as I disliked the guy, he did bring it when he was at his best, played hard and ran hard.

Tell me this, as a Giants fan, do you feel like it was his time to go? I thought he'd stick around for a while with the 1-2-3 punch combo the Giants like to run.

As much as I disliked the guy, he did bring it when he was at his best, played hard and ran hard.

Tell me this, as a Giants fan, do you feel like it was his time to go? I thought he'd stick around for a while with the 1-2-3 punch combo the Giants like to run.

I knew he wasn't going to stay with his current salary, and I wish he could still be here. People talk about his decline but it seemed like every time he was in on those short yardage situations he was getting hit behind the LOS, maybe you can blame that on him being slow but somewhere the O-line has to share that blame.

I thought it was inevitable. I feel Jacobs still has a few years left in him. But the Giants are already paying Bradshaw $4.5 million a year, and they are tight up against the cap. They can't afford to spend $9+ million on the RB position, and Jacobs has little reason to take a pay cut without first testing the market.

In 2010, Jacobs was second in the league in yards per carry. He also had 16 TD's over the last two seasons as the #2 back.

Someone has to take the carries Bradshaw can't handle, or isn't healthy for. He's not a good RB anymore.

Someone has to take the carries Bradshaw can't handle, or isn't healthy for. He's not a good RB anymore.
That may arguably be true. Since RB's tend to have a pretty short shelf life. But you said he's been a useless RB for at least 2 years. How can someone who had 9 rushing TD's and trailed only Jamaal Charles in yards per carry be considered useless?

Archived