Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Undergrad and Grad degrees from the same school

RobertGoulet

I'm going for my MBA and basically have two schools to consider in my area: Towson and Loyola. Loyola is more expensive and not as convenient (no online classes, campus is farther from me), but I received my undergrad from Towson. I've heard the term "inbreeding" used to describe getting your grad and undergrad degrees from the same school. Anyone have any insight on this?

I'm going for my MBA and basically have two schools to consider in my area: Towson and Loyola. Loyola is more expensive and not as convenient (no online classes, campus is farther from me), but I received my undergrad from Towson. I've heard the term "inbreeding" used to describe getting your grad and undergrad degrees from the same school. Anyone have any insight on this?

I'm doing my grad at the same place I got my undergrad.

Never heard the term. Don't really care about the term, either.

Pick the school that's the best fit for your goals.

If you have a good answer to an interview question of "why did you choose Towson for your MBA over other schools?", then I wouldn't sweat it.

I've never heard the term "inbreeding". What was your undergrad degree in?

Maybe if you were doing liberal arts and had the same professors for undergrad and grad, it might be an issue, but for an MBA, I wouldn't think so.

Pick the school that's the best fit for your goals.

If you have a good answer to an interview question of "why did you choose Towson for your MBA over other schools?", then I wouldn't sweat it.

I've never heard the term "inbreeding". What was your undergrad degree in?

Maybe if you were doing liberal arts and had the same professors for undergrad and grad, it might be an issue, but for an MBA, I wouldn't think so.

My undergrad is in Business Admin. From what I was reading, employers want to see that you can step out of your comfort zone and get a different academic perspective.

When did graduate from Towson?? Class of 08 for me

Unless you're pursuing a career in academia, I don't think it's a problem as long as the grad program is well-regarded.

My best friend did her undergrad and grad programs at the same school. She sometimes wishes she'd gone somewhere else just for the personal experience of going somewhere else, but career-wise it was not an issue for her.

Does it even matter in academia?

If you're trying to become a professor, I believe so. I don't want a professor who's only ever attended one university. Their perspective is generally going to be much smaller than that of someone who's gone through multiple schools/programs.

If you're trying to become a professor, I believe so. I don't want a professor who's only ever attended one university. Their perspective is generally going to be much smaller than that of someone who's gone through multiple schools/programs.

Your perspective is slanted toward experience and reading material, much more than where you get your education. But I respect your viewpoint. :)

Seems you are seeing it more and more these days and i think it may be a product of a challenging job market. Whereas before you may have graduated from undergrad gone someplace else for your first job and then gone back to school. In that case you are less likely to end up at the same school for undergrad and grad. Most of the positions i hire for are listed as MS/MBA/JD preferred and when i see a candidate with both from the same school (especially when graduation dates indicate it was one right after the other) I ALWAYS ask why they chose to do both degrees at the same school. I just want to hear your reason (it was the right program for reason X, going to school part time and needed to stay close to job, family issues that forced it, etc), and i want that reason to be something that didnt make me think that you couldnt find a job and your schools grad program was the only one you got into. Many schools apparently are offering 'bridge admission' to help graduates who cant find work move into their grad programs, often times with lowered or eliminated admissions screening.

I really just want to hear your reason and be able to feel you were not there because you didnt know what else to do and no other school wanted you. If you have a good reason, then i dont think it matters.

Your perspective is slanted toward experience and reading material, much more than where you get your education. But I respect your viewpoint. :)

The experience and reading materials are determined by the university you are attending.

If I major and complete my PhD in political science at the same university, in the same department, do you really think I'm going to have as broad a perspective as someone who attended two different schools, with different faculty, different research, different theories, etc?

For most professions, it's no big deal. But if you plan to be a professor, then I think it does matter.

I'm getting my PhD from the same university where I got my undergrad (GW). Even academically it doesn't matter, because my mentor at GW got his PhD from his undergrad institution as well (in Ireland). I know one of my undergrad professors was a GW undergrad, got his PhD at GW as well and now teaches here.

I've never heard of the term "inbreeding" and I've never seen it mentioned as a problem in either academia or any other place.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what you're studying and the strength of that school's programs matters more than the fact you went to the same school twice.

I did my undergrad at UVA and applying for an executive masters program at VCU, but my situation's a little different because my employer has a partnership with VCU, hence I'm getting my masters paid for (although its going to take about 3 years).

Archived