Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The CrossFit Thread

SC_RedskinsFan

So are they assuming that every woman 18-54 should be lifting the same weight for these workouts? Or are you supposed to adjust to your ability?

The WOD that you quoted is for the Crossfit Games, it is not a regular workout. I would say that most of the WODs we do I can RX. The one for the males today, the best i saw was someone get 64 reps.

---------- Post added March-1st-2012 at 07:32 PM ----------

BTW. Love the knee high socks inthat picture. Seriously. Way to rock 'em.

Hahahaa thanks! I rocked that same outfit tonight for the workout!

I'm starting to get into the crossfit workouts cause i love the fast pace of it all. The exercises i can do/figure out just haven't seen any decent sites that lay out a weekly and monthly plan of them.

Do you guys do a 2 or 3 on, day off, then 2 or 3 on kinda thing or straight through the week with them?

---------- Post added March-7th-2012 at 12:55 AM ----------

A lot of people here do the Paleo diet, and it is amazing weight loss. Every 2 or 3 months our gym does a Paleo challenge. You get points for WOD's and what food you eat.

Check out this, it has recipes in it. It was created by a member of our Box http://makeminepaleo.blogspot.com/

Everything on that page looks fantastic...other than the zucchini. The bacon egglets look good enough to try out this Saturday though.

5 minutes of double unders

200 half jacks

1000x meter row in less than 4 minutes

5 rounds of 15

135lbs squat

135lbs bent over row

135lbs deadlift

135lbs push press

24' box jump

That's what I did this morning. Going to do some cardio on my lunch break.

---------- Post added March-7th-2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

I'm starting to get into the crossfit workouts cause i love the fast pace of it all. The exercises i can do/figure out just haven't seen any decent sites that lay out a weekly and monthly plan of them.

Do you guys do a 2 or 3 on, day off, then 2 or 3 on kinda thing or straight through the week with them?

[

The first two weeks are the hardest. You probably don't want to go more than three days without a rest day. But after the 2nd week (or about halfway through it) your legs will start feeling better and you'll want to do more. It's probably not prefered, but I only rest once a week and then one day a week I do a long run (longer than 5 miles) and a long ruck march (usually 10 or more miles) (and usually on a Sunday).

also try sites like gymjones.com. Once you do it for a while, you can develope a "core" workout that you can build off of. I typically do the same thing every day and then I just add to it whenever I am around ropes or pullup bars etc. The fun thing about crossfit is you can turn anything into a workout device.

You haven't lived until you pickup a park bench and start doing lunges up and down a soccer field...lol

Let's be real, though. People worked out with random **** long before Crossfit made a fad out of it.

That's not anything against Crossfit, but to assume that Crossfit is the only workout program that incorporates that kind of thing, is really incorrect.

they just opened a crossfit gym here in charles town. i know the guy running it...smug is a very good word. lol

lol, I know a lot of former Army Rangers that open up their own gyms.... I would avoid those like the plague or just talk to them and let them know I am here to do my own thing. My bretheren can be violently motivating....oye

---------- Post added March-7th-2012 at 09:08 AM ----------

Let's be real, though. People worked out with random **** long before Crossfit made a fad out of it.

That's not anything against Crossfit, but to assume that Crossfit is the only workout program that incorporates that kind of thing, is really incorrect.

Great point! Thanks for the fact check! ; )

they just opened a crossfit gym here in charles town. i know the guy running it...smug is a very good word. lol

That's a big knock on it. It's a giant marketing machine. A number of executives have left Reebok because of how the company has decided to push Crossfit as THE SECRET. As the new 'sport of fitness' which is superior to everything else. They have made claims that elite athletes should abandon their sport-specific training and adopt Crossfit. :ols: It is both comical and sad that people believe it.

And then they 'license' associates to instruct it in less time than you could paint a room.

And Paleo diet as another SECRET. :ols:

That's a big knock on it. It's a giant marketing machine. A number of executives have left Reebok because of how the company has decided to push Crossfit as THE SECRET. As the new 'sport of fitness' which is superior to everything else. They have made claims that elite athletes should abandon their sport-specific training and adopt Crossfit. :ols: It is both comical and sad that people believe it.

And then they 'license' associates to instruct it in less time than you could paint a room.

And Paleo diet as another SECRET. :ols:

A number of professional athletes actually do CrossFit as their training regiment. Many do not. It's funny -- the level of hate is worse than the overly enthusiastic "CROSSFIT IS EVERYTHING!!" crowd. I do CrossFit -- I love it -- I've been doing it for about 3 years. It's the only thing I've ever stuck to. If you don't like it fine -- find something that works for you. But I really don't understand the incessant bashing...

As for Paleo -- that **** works!

the level of hate is worse than the overly enthusiastic "CROSSFIT IS EVERYTHING!!" crowd

Both are wrong. From my perspective, the "hate" coming from sports scientists is aimed squarely at those in the Crossfit and Reebok community who are making outlandish claims that aren't backed up by science. There's lots of well established training principles in CrossFit that people have been using for more than fifty years. For Reebok to claim that it's revolutionary or new is bull****, but it fuels their marketing machine and the belief that many people need that there is a SECRET. The Reebok crowd has also created a lot of straw men, claiming that the alternative to CrossFit is either emaciated ultradistance runners jogging slowly, or giant and fat weight lifters. :)

Both are wrong. From my perspective, the "hate" coming from sports scientists is aimed squarely at those in the Crossfit and Reebok community who are making outlandish claims that aren't backed up by science. There's lots of well established training principles in CrossFit that people have been using for more than fifty years. For Reebok to claim that it's revolutionary or new is bull****, but it fuels their marketing machine and the belief that many people need that there is a SECRET. The Reebok crowd has also created a lot of straw men, claiming that the alternative to CrossFit is either emaciated ultradistance runners jogging slowly, or giant and fat weight lifters. :)

Well, we're in agreement then: I hate the Reebok campaign. They slap "Crossfit" on everything and charge $60 for the same stuff I can get at Marshall's/Nordstrom Rack for $10. They could very well ruin what makes CrossFit great: that bare-bones, simplistic, community aspect.

The first two weeks are the hardest. You probably don't want to go more than three days without a rest day. But after the 2nd week (or about halfway through it) your legs will start feeling better and you'll want to do more. It's probably not prefered, but I only rest once a week and then one day a week I do a long run (longer than 5 miles) and a long ruck march (usually 10 or more miles) (and usually on a Sunday).

also try sites like gymjones.com. Once you do it for a while, you can develope a "core" workout that you can build off of. I typically do the same thing every day and then I just add to it whenever I am around ropes or pullup bars etc. The fun thing about crossfit is you can turn anything into a workout device.

You haven't lived until you pickup a park bench and start doing lunges up and down a soccer field...lol

Right on, very good info to know. I'm just trying to avoid overtraining a certain body part, or area throughout the week.

Can't wait to get on it and stay with it though.

Isn't the prescribed workout routine three days on, one day off?

If you.are just starting out, I would suggest no more than two.days in a row. Especially if one of those days is a WOD with a name. Even scaled, it will break you off.

Isn't the prescribed workout routine three days on, one day off?

If you.are just starting out, I would suggest no more than two.days in a row. Especially if one of those days is a WOD with a name. Even scaled, it will break you off.

Yes that's correct. At most I do 3 on, one off 2 on, one off.

Good luck come back -- it's always rough. I got back from a 10-day vacation and did "Fran" right out of the gate. Took my twice as long as it usually does to finish...

Yes that's correct. At most I do 3 on, one off 2 on, one off.

Good luck come back -- it's always rough. I got back from a 10-day vacation and did "Fran" right out of the gate. Took my twice as long as it usually does to finish...

I feel you, Riggo.

I was watching this video of a guy on youtube where he was staying in a hotel with nothing but eliptical machines and dumbells.... he did a killer workout with just that stuff. I can try and find it.

But coming back, especially after a junk food day, sucks the worst...

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 08:46 AM ----------

not sure how to embed a video... but here it is... this looks like it sucks....

Many do not. It's funny -- the level of hate is worse than the overly enthusiastic "CROSSFIT IS EVERYTHING!!" crowd.

As for Paleo -- that **** works!

I'm not sure if you're serious. The crossfit is everything crowd is enormous and in your face about it, hence the hate. Cause and effect my friend. And sure Paleo works, most diets do if you stick to them. Does that mean it's optimal? No. It also doesn't help that most of it's beliefs are rooted in pseudo science.

I'm not sure if you're serious. The crossfit is everything crowd is enormous and in your face about it, hence the hate. Cause and effect my friend. And sure Paleo works, most diets do if you stick to them. Does that mean it's optimal? No. It also doesn't help that most of it's beliefs are rooted in pseudo science.

All I know is the Paleo diet works for me -- I lose a ton of weight, I feel better, more energy, migraines are almost non-existent. I don't about pseudo science or any of that, I just know it works well for me.

Did "jeremy" to warm up today...

Then went into my typical workout and ended with a mile run around the track (4 laps).

Finally I made it to my rest day tomorrow!

Jeremy is a *****, just in case you guys haven't done it. It's really simple and easy, but if you haven't been doing your burpee's it'll murder you on the last set...lol.

Did "jeremy" to warm up today...

Then went into my typical workout and ended with a mile run around the track (4 laps).

Finally I made it to my rest day tomorrow!

Jeremy is a *****, just in case you guys haven't done it. It's really simple and easy, but if you haven't been doing your burpee's it'll murder you on the last set...lol.

Resting today -- tomorrow I think we're doing the Open WOD. What's Jeremy?

The Crossfit I go to I have not seen any "smugness". Everybody there from trainers, to members are all very helpful and we always cheer each other on.

I am gonna do the Open WOD on Saturday, giving my body a couple of extra days to recover from the Palmetto O Run this past Saturday.

Great to see a Crossfit thread! My brother is a certified Crossfit trainer and has been practicing functional lifting and the paleo lifestyle for years. He got me into following the Paleo diet and I've never felt better. As another poster stated earlier, I've had much better sleep, more energy, lost a ton of weight, and improved mental clarity. I'd imagine those who are knocking the paleo diet here have never tried it themselves.

As for all the reported back injuries from Crossfit - I can definitely see that. There are plenty of bad trainers out there who aren't teaching proper form. My brother has been working with me on proper form for this entire past month. He's had me demonstrate proper movements before going onto a more complicated lift. I've worked my ass off and pushed a ton of weight and have yet to experience any back pain. It's important to find the right trainers who know how to teach correct form for sure!

Resting today -- tomorrow I think we're doing the Open WOD. What's Jeremy?

3 rounds (21, 15, 9)

Overhead squat (I use 135lbs for just about everything)

burpees

I NEED to do more burpees. I do way to many legs and core/back exercises because I do my perfect pushups later in the day. So this was my first time doing it and it took me over 5 minutes...which was a bad time from what I read.

WOD is awesome!

Good luck and DO WORK!

here's a video for you Riggo

Great to see a Crossfit thread! My brother is a certified Crossfit trainer and has been practicing functional lifting and the paleo lifestyle for years. He got me into following the Paleo diet and I've never felt better. As another poster stated earlier, I've had much better sleep, more energy, lost a ton of weight, and improved mental clarity. I'd imagine those who are knocking the paleo diet here have never tried it themselves.

Actually I'm knocking it b/c it's based off pseudo science and in a lot of cases is an example of orthorexia. Not saying you can't lose weight on it, but no reason to stay away from certain foods that this diet deems "unhealthy" when there's no fact to their claims.

Actually I'm knocking it b/c it's based off pseudo science and in a lot of cases is an example of orthorexia. Not saying you can't lose weight on it, but no reason to stay away from certain foods that this diet deems "unhealthy" when there's no fact to their claims.

Tish, tish ... I think it's obvious that the people who originally practiced the Paleo diet and enjoyed a life expectancy of 30 years knew far more about healthy living than modern man.

Tish, tish ... I think it's obvious that the people who originally practiced the Paleo diet and enjoyed a life expectancy of 30 years knew far more about healthy living than modern man.

Well... to be fair... that life expectency of 30 years had absolutely nothing to do with medicine or advancements in lifestyle....(homes, heating, air conditioning)....lol. Play both sides if you are going to play. And I'm not a paleo diet guy... but it does look delicious. I just keep it under 3,000 cals a day...

BTW: Rest day! Woooo!

Archived