Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The CrossFit Thread

SC_RedskinsFan

Actually I'm knocking it b/c it's based off pseudo science and in a lot of cases is an example of orthorexia. Not saying you can't lose weight on it, but no reason to stay away from certain foods that this diet deems "unhealthy" when there's no fact to their claims.

I think the concept of the Paleo diet is interesting and I think our bodies are still wired much like they were back in the caveman days, but there are better, more efficient options to fuel our bodies these days than were available to early humans, so I'm not a huge fan of that diet for highly-active people today. I consider myself to be very active and I've tried variations of the Paleo diet but never stuck with them because for me, it didn't seem to fuel my body properly and I would always end up feeling drained and overtrained.

Well... to be fair... that life expectency of 30 years had absolutely nothing to do with medicine or advancements in lifestyle....(homes, heating, air conditioning)....lol. Play both sides if you are going to play. And I'm not a paleo diet guy... but it does look delicious. I just keep it under 3,000 cals a day...

Yes, quantity and quality of calories is what counts, not rejecting particular food groups because certain cavemen couldn't have it in their diet.

Yes, quantity and quality of calories is what counts, not rejecting particular food groups because certain cavemen couldn't have it in their diet.

I like this assessment. As I just find it contradictory to preach this "clean" eating based off what cavemen did and getting back to basics, but then not applying this in the rest of your life as you drink your chemically made pre workout drink of choice and listen to your Ipod during training.

Not trying to hate either, as with any diet there are different views as to what's deemed "clean" and "dirty."

I've thought about joining the local CF. Ya know what is making me think twice? The constant barrage of CF updates from friends on Facebook.

Dude, you're just not cut out for cult membership. :)

Optimism and can-do attitude is important of course in making a success of a fitness program, but I don't need a ****ing t-shirt with a slogan. I'm not in elementary school. :ols:

Dude, you're just not cut out for cult membership. :)

Optimism and can-do attitude is important of course in making a success of a fitness program, but I don't need a ****ing t-shirt with a slogan. I'm not in elementary school. :ols:

I feel the same way about CF members as I used to feel about Apple Fanboys ... then I bought a few Apple products. So, maybe if I check it out, I'll love it.

However, for now, I'm just getting annoyed with the workout/CF updates on Facebook. I don't give a rat's ass how much my friend can deadlift. Why does he think I care? It's one thing to talk about working out with friends for tips, it's another to brag about how much you workout. People who do that crap don't look cool, they look like this guy ...

201110211117264ea0e446a07c3.jpeg

Terrible form on those pull-ups. She is just swinging her body.

---------- Post added March-13th-2012 at 11:37 AM ----------

I think the concept of the Paleo diet is interesting and I think our bodies are still wired much like they were back in the caveman days, but there are better, more efficient options to fuel our bodies these days than were available to early humans, so I'm not a huge fan of that diet for highly-active people today. I consider myself to be very active and I've tried variations of the Paleo diet but never stuck with them because for me, it didn't seem to fuel my body properly and I would always end up feeling drained and overtrained.

This is me. I can't go too low on the calories or it hurts my performance and I can feel it physically.

Vidoe: Kipping Everything

I had no idea that was a real thing. I found this statement:

The kipping pullup is a little more sophisticated than the deadhang pullup. Done correctly, it involves a hip snap that radiates up the spine and into the arms, effectively lifting the body with minimal upper body pulling. From a movement-standpoint, it is a much more efficient technique for elevating the chin over a bar. This is evident in that athletes who practice kipping pullups can achieve much higher numbers with a kip, than with a strict deadhang pullup. Unlike the deadhang version, the kipping pullup is a full body exercise. There is no room for muscle-isolation in kipping pullup performance.

Everything about the statement seems completely backwards to me.

That pretty much says to me "You dont need to work harder to make your muscles stronger, just change the exercise to make it easier so you can do more reps!"

And thats pretty much the reason why I havent entertained the idea of crossfit.

A fantastic contribution Elessar78, damn fine scenery.

FWIW here's the gym here on base. Have no idea who the guys in the vid are, just was showing you guys our converted hangar into a crossfit gym, thing is massive.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a good garage workout off the top of their head? I have powerblock dumbells and about 8'x8' space out there.

We did this one about a month ago, it takes little space and is a good workout.

WOD

5 RFT

5 TGU's (each arm)

10 Mary Janes (l&r=1)

20 DU's

(pick your tgu weight based on your experience)

TGU = Turkish Get Ups

DU = Double Unders

If you youtube the TGU, and the Mary Janes it will help ya if you don't know what they are. We did the TGU with a kettlebell but you can also do it with dumbbells.

---------- Post added March-25th-2012 at 06:50 AM ----------

Terrible form on those pull-ups. She is just swinging her body..

Being able to kip is key to a lot of workouts. When I first started CF it was hard for me to learn to kip having been in the Marines and that was never allowed. Just to name a few of the exercises that ya need to kip on are pull ups, chest to bar pull ups, toes to bar, and especially when you are trying to do muscle ups on the rings.

And trust me it does work your whole body when doing kipping pull ups. Some of the workouts require 60 or more pull ups and with the WOD there are usually 3 other exercises besides the pull ups in it.

We did this one about a month ago, it takes little space and is a good workout.

WOD

5 RFT

5 TGU's (each arm)

10 Mary Janes (l&r=1)

20 DU's

(pick your tgu weight based on your experience)

TGU = Turkish Get Ups

DU = Double Unders

If you youtube the TGU, and the Mary Janes it will help ya if you don't know what they are. We did the TGU with a kettlebell but you can also do it with dumbbells.

I appreciate the workout SCRF....i'll def give it a go!

Edit: i must be retarded cause i cannot find what mary janes are on youtube or crossfit.com. Got the DU's and TGU's squared up tho.

Way late to the discussion but...

Actually I'm knocking it b/c it's based off pseudo science and in a lot of cases is an example of orthorexia. Not saying you can't lose weight on it, but no reason to stay away from certain foods that this diet deems "unhealthy" when there's no fact to their claims.

The core premise of paleo, while interesting, certainly does qualify as pseudoscience and is essentially unprovable at present. However, in my experience the whole paleo movement is considerably more intelligent that that basic premise it sprung out of. The folks who take it seriously actually do base a lot of the finer details of what constitutes "good" and "bad" on hard science. There is also a very strong recognization that the strict form of the diet is not good for optimal athletic performance and that modifications and additional allowances need to be made to accommodate for athletes.

While I personally don't buy in to any single philosophy wholeheartedly, a good chunk of the paleo lot has struck me as a fair bit brighter than most of their ilk. At the very least, they get a few things right with their emphasis on the use of simple, minimally prepared foods and good sources of fat.

As a general rule, its the people who are the most dogmatic about their beliefs who are the most dangerous.

This is me. I can't go too low on the calories or it hurts my performance and I can feel it physically.

Calories aren't the limiting factor even when it comes to strict paleo. You should still be eating plenty calorie-wise unless you're doing it wrong altogether. The problem is generally that the relative lack of carbs doesn't leave you with a lot of the readily available energy necessary for sustained exertion.

That pretty much says to me "You dont need to work harder to make your muscles stronger, just change the exercise to make it easier so you can do more reps!"

And thats pretty much the reason why I havent entertained the idea of crossfit.

That's just their idea of "functional strength". If you ever encounter an obstacle in the real world where you have to pull yourself up are you going to do a form pull-up or are you going to use your core and lower body to assist in the movement? Odds are you'll do the latter barring force of habit, ergo that's how they want to train.

It's definitely not as efficient an exercise for building raw upper body strength as a traditional pull-up, though. We've already had the debate over the merits and actual meaning of the term "functional strength" around here before and not everyone is going to agree with the CrossFitters' philosophy there. :pfft:

• 2 months later...

I did the CrossFit for Hope work out this morning, it was to benefit St Judes! You know it is a damn good one when afterwards you are light headed and feel like :puke: :ols:

I got 181 reps in for this

Here was the WOD:

Three rounds of:

Burpees

75 pound Power snatch

Box jump, 24" box

75 pound Thruster

Chest to bar Pull-ups

"Hope" has the same format as Fight Gone Bad. In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep.

Archived