Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UCLA Bruins gone wild

DCchillin89

SI Special Report:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

SI report about UCLA Bruins Coach Ben Howland losing control of his prima dona basketball team. Pretty crazy, but at this point nothing like this surprises me anymore.

Here is the cliff notes Version:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/7629031/ucla-bruins-coach-ben-howland-lost-control-highly-recruited-players-according-report

Thoughts?

What kind of college basketball coach is like "I just let the players police themselves...." First of all, that's guaranteed to end up exactly how this ended up. Second, a LARGE component of your job is to actually HELP these kids turn into good citizens off the court, and you just abdicate? Wow. John Wooden must be doing backflips in his grave (Yes, i realize he isnt TECHNICALLY dead).

The part where ReevesNelson punts a basketball and tells a manager to "fetch" it is especially maddening.

I agree. Howland should have come down on him hard for treating staff like that. The kid sounds like an arrogant douchebag, and Howland made no effort to turn him around. In fact, given this quote from the article, it sounds like Howland often acted the same way:

"Each of the players who spoke to SI said they found Howland socially awkward and disapproved of the verbal abuse they say he directed at his staff, the student managers and the weakest players."

and

"Nelson frequently talked back to the assistant coaches. When they told him to stop, he would remark, 'That's how Coach Howland talks to you.'

Many players say Howland degraded his assistants, but only Nelson used that as license to treat the assistants with disrespect."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html#ixzz1np0yaNBy

6' 8", 235 lbs :ols:
yeah, no thanks.

So you mean to tell me if you are on the team and you are 6-6 and at least 200, you wouldn't confront the guy and at least defend yourself? I'm not 6-8 and 235, but you can't tell me there isn't one guy on that team that wasn't willing to get in his grill? I've got an Irish attitude and I had my "Ralphie" moment with a bully back when I was a kid and I tell you what, if I were on that team (especially if I were a senior) that ***hole wouldn't be pulling that **** with me. The whole team is a bunch of p***ies if you ask me.

So does his tatoos scare you two or what? Sounds like he just needs his clock cleaned one time. Let him pull that bull**** in the NBA and see if he doesn't come out of the lockeroom with some teeth missing.

Well, yeah, except I'm like 5-10 and 120 :ols:

I'm 5-9, 180 and 44 years old so right now I wouldn't confront him, but it seem weird that a 7 foot 250lb teamate wouldn't jack his ass up to a locker.

Bullies should always remember this. No matter how "big and bad" you think you are, there is always, ALWAYS somebody "bigger and badder" than you that will kick your ass.

Archived