Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lent 2012

AsburySkinsFan

Take your risks now, as you grow older you become more fearful and less flexible. And I mean that literally. I hurt my knee this week on the treadmill, and it wasn’t even on. — Amy Poehler

FAST from unnecessary transportation today — walk and take the stairs when you have the chance.

PRAY for an appreciation of your age and stage in life right now — not longing for the past or future.

GIVE away or recycle things that remind you of negative or unhealthy habits from your past.

We must realize the truth of ourselves — we are one human family. One a part of the other. — Sister Lucy Poulin

FAST from walking past people without acknowledging their presence — even strangers.

PRAY for the whole human family.

GIVE five minutes of time to a conversation with someone you see regularly but don’t know well (regular waitress, colleague, crossing guard, store clerk, pew-mate at Mass).

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 08:29 AM ----------

So I've given up cussing for Lent. Definitely not going to be easy.

You can do it, when I struggled with my salty language I found it was often times a result of the company I was keeping, not that they were to blame but it was just too easy to slip into old patterns of behavior.

The Lent video was very well done, might be showing that to some other people.

As for me,

"Lent isn't about giving up material things like sweets or facebook, it's about you: be happier, don't let things get you down, love yourself and love your neighbor, don't judge those you disapprove of, say a prayer for someone who needs it or even someone you just pass on the street. Work on your flaws, admit your sins, and try to be a better person."

That's what I am doing for Lent, with an emphasis on watching my language and controlling my irrational hate when my sports teams suck.

So I've given up cussing for Lent. Definitely not going to be easy.

What the **** would you want to ****ing do that for? ****!

But really, I've given up lent for lent. I don't get into the New Years Resolutions or such. I just try to live my life to my best, try to live right and be happy. Within the last 6 months I've found new light in trying to be happy and so far it's working even though my sports teams are conspiring against me.

That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. — Steve Jobs

FAST from over-commitment — say “no” in order to simplify your life.

PRAY for help in simplifying and clarifying your thinking about a problem.

GIVE away something that adds clutter to your life so that you can live more simply.

They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they’d make up their minds. — Wilt Chamberlain

FAST from judging other people’s imperfections today.

PRAY that you can accept things you can’t change and change the things you can.

GIVE $5 to the Special Olympics program.

Don’t become too narrow. Live fully. Meet all kinds of people. You’ll learn something from everyone. Follow what you feel in your heart. — Yuri Kochiyama

FAST from your normal routine — walk or drive home a different way, buy groceries at a different market, go to mass at a different parish, etc.

PRAY that God puts new people in your path so that you might share the good news with them.

GIVE time to meeting new people today and opening up your social circle.

Sorry, dropped the ball on this yesterday.

How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone. — Coco Chanel

FAST today from caring what other people think of you or how you’re supposed to behave.

PRAY for the willingness and courage to be truly yourself.

GIVE $10 or gently worn suits to Dress for Success. You might also consider holding a suit drive in your parish.

I always assume failure, so anytime things go better than failure I’m pretty psyched. — Seth Rogan

FAST from describing anything done by yourself or anyone else today as a failure or mistake.

PRAY that you might always experience failures as learning opportunities rather than as judgements on yourself.

GIVE time to doing something you’re not confident you’ll succeed at.

Archived