Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats harder to wrap your head around? Peyton, Brady, Eli...

HRNY4ZRNY

That Eli is 1 behind Brady. He's thoroughly outplayed Tom the last 3 times they met. No way he should still be trailing that guy.

I can't say I admire how commited you are to your homeristic delusion on this matter. Are you sure you're not a typical cowboy fan? :ols:

Eli has the benefit of playing for a much better run organization. Peyton had the Marino curse of the organization essentially riding his coattails every season without backing him up with better talent.

I'm serious. Can you imagine Peyton playing with the talent Eli has around him?

Eli has the benefit of playing for a much better run organization. Peyton had the Marino curse of the organization essentially riding his coattails every season without backing him up with better talent.

I think it's a huge stretch to say the Colts are run any where near close to poorly.

And as far as talent around him, the Colts have always had more weapons on offense, and coincidentally, they have had the better defense during both of our Super Bowl years....

Are you sure you're not a typical cowboy fan? :ols:
Cowboys fan? Is there a fan of any team in the league that wouldn't really, really love their two-time Superbowl MVP QB?

---------- Post added February-17th-2012 at 12:58 AM ----------

The Colts had plenty of talent during their peak. From 2004-2008, the Colts finished top 10 in scoring defense 4 out of 5 times. And even in the year they didn't, the defense still came alive in the playoffs and carried the Colts to a title despite subpar play from Peyton.

Plus this year, the Giants ran for fewer yards per game and per carry than the Colts. They allowed more QB pressures. And only finished 3 spots ahead of them in scoring defense.

Cowboys fans? Is there a fan of any team in the league that wouldn't really, really love their two-time Superbowl MVP QB?

---------- Post added February-17th-2012 at 12:58 AM ----------

The Colts had plenty of talent during their peak. From 2004-2008, the Colts finished top 10 in scoring defense 4 out of 5 times. And even in the year they didn't, the defense still came alive in the playoffs and carried the Colts to a title despite subpar play from Peyton.

Plus this year, the Giants ran for fewer yards per game and per carry than the Colts. They allowed more QB pressures. And only finished 3 spots ahead of them in scoring defense.

Please. You do not give your front office nearly enough credit. The defense that they put together is significantly more potent and more balanced than the ones the Colts fielded. Those defenses were all predicated on protecting the score, and taking advantage of offenses having to play keep up. And that 2006 run is all thanks to Bob Sanders. He fixed the run defense.

Stats aside, you're really going to say with a straight face that Joseph Addai/Donald Brown are more talented than Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw? Plus, why run when you have the receivers Eli had this year? I will say right now that Peyton has never had receivers with the pure physical talent of Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz.

This isn't taking anything away from what Eli did this year. I've argued with people for a while, even before this run, that I'd take Eli over any QB in the NFC East easily, and I do think he's certainly proved himself as a member of the elite QB club. But let's not pretend he did it without help. The Giants smartly put together a team that augments Eli's talents, and allows him to flourish, making the job easier for him.

But I'm sorry. Eli can't compare to his brother or Brady in terms of career achievements at THIS STAGE in his career.

I have a feeling that Peyton made his receivers, and that Harrison, Wayne, and Clark were not as good as their stats say. If you watch Peyton, he almost never threw to wide open targets, always threw into the tiniest pockets. Mannings quick release, audibles and insane accuracy completely hid the faults of their line and receivers. Now Eli is a great QB and I would live to have him, but people quickly forget how good Peyton really is. Also I am not saying that Harrison and Wayne are trash, just that without Peyton they are not elite.

This is my opinion, and is a bit biased considering Peyton Manning is my favorite QB

I have a feeling that Peyton made his receivers, and that Harrison, Wayne, and Clark were not as good as their stats say. If you watch Peyton, he almost never threw to wide open targets, always threw into the tiniest pockets. Mannings quick release, audibles and insane accuracy completely hid the faults of their line and receivers. Now Eli is a great QB and I would live to have him, but people quickly forget how good Peyton really is. Also I am not saying that Harrison and Wayne are trash, just that without Peyton they are not elite.

This is my opinion, and is a bit biased considering Peyton Manning is my favorite QB

Well, the same argument can be said for Eli. He made it to the Superbowl with two completely different sets of receivers. When the season started, the general consensus was that we were doomed without Kevin Boss and Steve Smith. Boss had his worst season statistically since being a starter, and well Steve Smith....lol. The next dissapearing act will be performed by Mario Manningham most likely.

Not sure how you can look at Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison's body of work and doubt their ability. Even with revolving door QB's this past season, Wayne was still only 40 yards short of a 1000 yard season.

Please. You do not give your front office nearly enough credit. The defense that they put together is significantly more potent and more balanced than the ones the Colts fielded. Those defenses were all predicated on protecting the score, and taking advantage of offenses having to play keep up. And that 2006 run is all thanks to Bob Sanders. He fixed the run defense.

Stats aside, you're really going to say with a straight face that Joseph Addai/Donald Brown are more talented than Brandon Jacobs/Ahmad Bradshaw? Plus, why run when you have the receivers Eli had this year? I will say right now that Peyton has never had receivers with the pure physical talent of Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz.

This seems like a huge double standard to me. The Giants' defense has finished in the bottom 1/4 of the league in scoring defense in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. And I don't remember anyone talking about how talented the team was after Skins curb stomped them in week 15.

Now, Victor Cruz (a guy who isn't even two years removed from being a UDFA) is more talented than a former first round pick WR who will likely be in the Hall of Fame in a couple of years. Peyton's three major receiving targets were all former first round picks. Were they all only productive because their QB was carrying them?

This seems like a huge double standard to me. The Giants' defense has finished in the bottom 1/4 of the league in scoring defense in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. And I don't remember anyone talking about how talented the team was after Skins curb stomped them in week 15.

Now, Victor Cruz (a guy who isn't even two years removed from being a UDFA) is more talented than a former first round pick WR who will likely be in the Hall of Fame in a couple of years. Peyton's three major receiving targets were all former first round picks. Were they all only productive because their QB was carrying them?

Joe, stats for rankings don't tell the whole story. I've always felt like Dwight Freeney was a tad overrated, and the only Giants defensive end I might take him over is Osi. JPP and Justin Tuck are way, way more talented and complete players than Freeney or Mathis are/were. When you use a combination like JPP, Tuck and Osi to go with a guy like Canty, you have a potent defensive line that is stronger than any front the Colts ever fielded. Stats not withstanding.

And while I do think Marvin Harrison was a great player, Peyton ultimately put him over the top. Check out his numbers before and after Peyton arrived. But notice I said "physically talented." Yes, I will argue that Nicks and Cruz (who you are underrating in terms of what a great player he is) are tons more physically talented than Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, or Pierre Garcon.

Those three guys are solid players, but Peyton has made a living of making decent receivers look much better. He was making due with guys off of the street in 2010.

Edit: Looking over my post, I realize that I included Harrison in that grouping when I didn't mean to, and that I'll take back. But still, my opinion stands on Nicks and Cruz being more physically talented than probably anyone else Peyton has had aside from Marvin.

Really? I usually don't disagree much with you Joe, but this one I have to.

That was one good season. I remember a certain UDFA Cowboy, bust out on the scene for 1,320 yards, 11 Touchdowns (Less yards, More Touchdowns than Cruz) ... Cruz didn't play much until Week 3 ... Austin didn't play much until week 5 ... so Austin had 2 less games then Cruz did ... the following year he broke 1,000 yards. He's not even mentioned as our #2 guy much anymore.

Guys like Austin, Cruz are mega talented guys. They come out of nowhere and teams don't know how to game plan for them.

Cruz will be good next year ... but I highly doubt he ever comes close to matching those numbers again.

I think he was trying to say Harrison will be in the hof in a few years and saying Cruz is more talented than him at this point is kind of silly. Not that Cruz is going to the hof.

Hey who knows maybe the superbowl win sent Joe into super homer mode lol. But that's how I interpreted it.

To be fair, Blue, I think a Super Bowl win would be enough to send anyone into super homer mode. Hell, I'd probably be caught saying something crazy like Mike Shanahan is the greatest coach ever if we had won the Super Bowl. :ols:

Well, the same argument can be said for Eli. He made it to the Superbowl with two completely different sets of receivers. When the season started, the general consensus was that we were doomed without Kevin Boss and Steve Smith. Boss had his worst season statistically since being a starter, and well Steve Smith....lol. The next dissapearing act will be performed by Mario Manningham most likely.

Not sure how you can look at Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison's body of work and doubt their ability. Even with revolving door QB's this past season, Wayne was still only 40 yards short of a 1000 yard season.

That's true, and that is why I think Eli is an elite QB, but I still think Peyton better. It's hard to ever know if the QB made the WR or WR made the QB, but as I said Wayne and Harrison are great receivers, just that their numbers are a little inflated thanks to Peyton. The giants have an insane receiving core, that is just as good, If not better than the colts were.

Another point I'd like to point out is the feeling you get watching Peyton play, you get the feeling that he is the team, calling plays, making guys off the streets into 100yd reciever and winning the MVP 4 times. When you watch Eli I get the feeling that he is taking advantage of his talent around him, throwing to mostly open recovers, not too worried about havin to score every drive because their defense is so good.

I'm rambling, i just think that in my eyes ( being 19) Peyton Manning is the best pure quarterback I have ever seen, but Eli has proved to be a better clutch qb, il give him that.

I can't say I admire how commited you are to your homeristic delusion on this matter. Are you sure you're not a typical cowboy fan? :ols:

And his post is another reason why no Redskin fan should have ever been rooting for NY. We'll have to hear this crap until opening day.:mad:

---------- Post added February-17th-2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

Two Superbowl wins in the last four years help me get through the day.

You should post this on the Giants message board. Isn't it called Big Blue Bonnett?

To me Eli is the most puzzling because he can look downright pedestrian at times, even when going up against teams that aren't necessarily considered powerhouses.

Usually if you are a GoodQB/BadQB, it is the playoffs where you slip up, but Eli seems to the be the opposite, he is above average to good during the season, but let him squeak into the playoffs and he is among the best.

Archived