Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jsteelz Offseason updates via twitter **BIG UPDATE 3/5/12** See post 235, 1453 and now 1548 <--Must read

c4man5282

Not to mention he wrote an article detailing Jimmy Clausen as a future franchise QB and why he should be the first pick over Sam Bradford.

While Clausen did suck, Bradford hasn't exactly lit the league on fire.

Bradford gets a pass for having a crappy team, when JC had the exact same issue (and fared much worse) but got blasted.

I'm not defending JC, just pointing out the inconsistency.

If we sign Orton (a good thing I think) and miss out on RGIII, I believe we still draft a QB, Tanehill maybe.

Tannehill will be difficult for us to land.

6 is way too high to pick him. You can try to trade back, but you need to be before 12.. cause theres a high chance that the Seahawks take him at 12. So you only have like 5 teams as potential trade back partners or he'll already be off the board.

---------- Post added February-16th-2012 at 03:49 PM ----------

I'm still shocked that so many people in the know are buying the Orton rumours. If we are interested in Orton why in the world didn't we put a waiver claim on him 2 months ago when the Broncos released him? How did the staff's opinion of him change that quickly?

he's plan C.. we didn't need plan C at the time.

now we have to make a plan C... which plan C seems to be getting more likely by the day. all we can do is cross our fingers for RGIII because its really looking like Manning wont be fit to play.

I'm still shocked that so many people in the know are buying the Orton rumours. If we are interested in Orton why in the world didn't we put a waiver claim on him 2 months ago when the Broncos released him? How did the staff's opinion of him change that quickly?

I agree. And I'm sure the Orton thing has already been shot down on here. Things must have changed. Or its smoke...

Maybe they didn't think he would be able to pick up the O very quick. Which would lead to him coming here, playing terrible and all of us freaking out when they resigned him?? :whoknows:

Thats my best guess..

If we sign Orton (a good thing I think) and miss out on RGIII, I believe we still draft a QB, Tanehill maybe.

Yes, it should go without saying, if our #1 draft dream guy isn't doable we would still draft another QB later, no matter what FA we sign.

if we have no choice and we must use Orton, we have to sign Eddie Royal.

Orton loved Eddie Royal. Eddie's numbers went way down after Orton got yanked.

I'm not so sure I agree. Royal caught 4 passes from Orton in 2011. In 2010 he had an okay year with 59 catches for 627 yards and 3 touchdowns. The only "good" season he's had was his rookie year with Mike. I'd be okay with the signing but he isn't a "must have" or a playmaker. He's an undersized possession reciever that can pick up first downs. He has two less career fumbles than touchdowns.

Cutler loved Eddie Royal. Eddie's numbers went way down after Cutler got traded.

I'm not so sure I agree. Royal caught 4 passes from Orton in 2011. In 2010 he had an okay year with 59 catches for 627 yards and 3 touchdowns. The only "good" season he's had was his rookie year with Mike. I'd be okay with the signing but he isn't a "must have" or a playmaker. He's an undersized possession reciever that can pick up first downs. He has two less career fumbles than touchdowns.

Cutler loved Eddie Royal. Eddie's numbers went way down after Cutler got traded.

YUP, I was going to say the same thing.

This makes it sound like we would be waiting for RG3 to land to us at 6 without trading up. Maybe Shanallen believe trading up to #2 from #6 has too steep of a price. I really am thinking RG3 won't get past #4 and if he does, a team like the Seahawks would trade up to #5 and grab him before we could.

I take some peace in knowing we have very capable people of making these types of decisions. I would also concur though that if we went into the season with an Orton/Grossman combo, it would more than likely lead to a 7-9, 8-8 season at best and would be the beginning of the end of Shanahan. Year 3 (if not 2) of a 5 year plan you have to step-up and get your franchise QB, whomever you think that may be. If you want to wait until Year 4 to do that, chances are you're waiting for his development long after you are gone.

Yes, it should go without saying, if our #1 draft dream guy isn't doable we would still draft another QB later, no matter what FA we sign.

Ill get killed for it... but worst case is we go with Grossman/Orton and look at the picks next year. I love Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Logan Thomas, Geno, etc.

Ill get killed for it... but worst case is we go with Grossman/Orton and look at the picks next year. I love Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson, Logan Thomas, Geno, etc.

I just don't think there is anyway Shanny waits until his 4th year to get his guy to develop. It has to be this year even if it isn't RG3.

At 627 yards.. Eddie Royal would have been our 2nd best WR last year.

This makes it sound like we would be waiting for RG3 to land to us at 6 without trading up. Maybe Shanallen believe trading up to #2 from #6 has too steep of a price. I really am thinking RG3 won't get past #4 and if he does, a team like the Seahawks would trade up to #5 and grab him before we could.

I'm sure we would have contingent offers to teams picking at 3,4, and 5. The price to move up should get cheaper each time he falls

There is no certainty that we can make a trade to move up, and you do need to plan like you aren't going to find a QB in the draft. Whether or not we do pick him, tho, we probably do need a veteran who is an upgrade over Rex. Whether Orton is an upgrade is a debatable point. Certainly smarter, but doesn't have the physical tools that Rex has.

That's not a terribly great justification for bringing him in.

why not? it says with Orton under center... Eddie Royal should perform to be currently our 2nd best WR.

it's not like he's going to be expensive to bring in. he should be a deal for production equal to the 2nd best on the team.

now granted.. you hope Hankerson steps up and maybe Paul steps up and Royal at 600 or so yards is not longer our 2nd best guy.. but if you bring in Orton.. Royal has played with him before and produced.

Its better production than we got from Santana Moss last season.

I agree. And I'm sure the Orton thing has already been shot down on here. Things must have changed. Or its smoke...

Yes, & things changed. And yet things are still subject to change.:)

They like Orton better now then Rex because word is that Orton does "it" better.

To me, they're interchangeable parts except with Orton, you get the neck beard.:ols:

Rex's turnovers may have signaled the end of him here. Few weeks ago Orton was the back up plan to Rex if Rex wanted to much money as the thought was Orton could come in cheaper.

30 right now is about a 90% walk away. They won't pay him a big contract to have him have to go under the knife because his alternative procedure didn't work. That have them paying him AND footing the bill for his surgery WITH him being out a year THEN still taking another year to be fully recovered.

why not? it says with Orton under center... Eddie Royal should perform to be currently our 2nd best WR.

it's not like he's going to be expensive to bring in. he should be a deal for production equal to the 2nd best on the team.

now granted.. you hope Hankerson steps up and maybe Paul steps up and Royal at 600 or so yards is not longer our 2nd best guy.. but if you bring in Orton.. Royal has played with him before and produced.

Its better production than we got from Santana Moss last season.

Or it says that with Josh McDaniels coaching and no running game against a defensively challenged AFCW, multiple WR's put up above career average numbers.

I have no objection to bringing Royal in for the right price... but saying that he'd be our #2 receiver based on his production from two seasons ago by using Moss' comparable production in 3/4 of this past season is a stunningly uncompelling argument. There are much, much better ways to sell that move than bringing Royal's lack of production in recent years to light and advertising him as a slightly lesser piece of **** receiver. :ols:

Archived