Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2012 NASCAR Thread

SC_RedskinsFan

3 weeks from tomorrow will be the Daytona 500, I can't wait!

I am curious to see how the new fuel injection system plays out this year. I have put a couple pictures that show the differences between the old system and the new one.

111019124154-inside-nascar-carburetor-graphic-story-body.jpg

111019125145-inside-nascar-efi-graphic-story-body.jpg

http://www.nascar.com/news/111018/inside-nascar-fuel-injection-replaces-carburetor/index.html

I am hoping this will be the year of The JR, that was for you BS :ols:

I want to gauge interest in an ES NASCAR fantasy league too. I have more time to keep up with it now, so if anyone is interested, let me know. I'll do it as I have in the past: race winner gets 1 point, 43rd place gets 43 points. Low score wins. Depending on the number of players, we can have two- or three-car teams.

If you want to participate, let me know in this thread. If it takes off, I'll start a thread for the league. Also let me know if you'd rather have a draft, or just pick 2 or 3 cars each week, with multiple players being allowed to pick the same drivers. Thanks!!

I am SO ready for NASCAR...finally the 48 was taken down by a true racer. Ill be honest my interest waned a bit laster year after 5 ina row for 48....but now with Smoke Winning the title and my first ever trip to Daytona, I am all in!!!

I am hoping my man Kyle "Rowdy" Busch can finally put together a consistent season and compete for the title, if not I hope one of the other Joe Gibbs Racing Drivers can compete and get it done. I am hoping for a break out year for Joey, as it is time for him to start driving better with this being his 6th or 7th time at some fo these tracks in the Sprint Cup Car....Denny also needa a big year after his horrible performance last season.

I am ready for it to begin....Daytona cant get here fast enough!!!

I want to gauge interest in an ES NASCAR fantasy league too. I have more time to keep up with it now, so if anyone is interested, let me know. I'll do it as I have in the past: race winner gets 1 point, 43rd place gets 43 points. Low score wins. Depending on the number of players, we can have two- or three-car teams.

If you want to participate, let me know in this thread. If it takes off, I'll start a thread for the league. Also let me know if you'd rather have a draft, or just pick 2 or 3 cars each week, with multiple players being allowed to pick the same drivers. Thanks!!

I would be down. But if I were you I'd just use the same points system that Nascar uses. That way there wouldn't be any confusion.

As for the rules: I'd break it down into two seasons. The first 18 races you pick one driver each week. Can't use any driver more than once over the course of those 18 races. Same for last 18 races. You could either have a half-way champ, or combine the first half stats with the 2nd to determine your overall.

Or you could pick a driver each week, but only pick the same driver once the entire season. Now THAT would make it really interesting.

I'm suggestions these different scenarios because, while I liked BB's game, it was a little boring with everyone picking the same driver most weeks. And every week just about there were only a handful of drivers even being picked. BOR-ING.

Yeah!!! Come on Smoke two in a row!!!!

I think the addition of new crew chief Steve A is going to be interesting.

Seeing the success he's had with the Busch's, I think he's going to have Smoke in victory lane early. Tony has been notoriously slow coming out the gate early in the season, then turns it on during midseason and when it counts the most.

I'm hoping he can get the #14 in victory lane in Daytona, that would be a sweet inaugural race for the two of them.

Good luck to D.Grubb. I'm glad to see Joe Gibbs pick him up and pair him Denny. They're going to be interesting to watch this year too.

Lets go SMOKE!!!!

Oh yeah, watching the 2012 NASCAR preview yesterday.....I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if Danica won before Jr. :excited:

I would be down. But if I were you I'd just use the same points system that Nascar uses. That way there wouldn't be any confusion.

A few things:

1) I'm glad you're not me, and vice versa. :)

2) There is no confusion. 1=1. 2=2. 3=3, etc. If that's too tough to follow, then any fantasy sport is going to be WAY over your head. :ols:

3) If you would like to create your own game and run it, by all means, do. That way I can enjoy it, and YOU can do all the work. Otherwise, yeah. I'll go with the original plan. :D

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 03:12 PM ----------

So we've got me, Bubble, Hdf, mikered, and I'm signing SC up, whether he likes it or not. I know he'll play.

dubbz, ASF, and pj, we'd love to have you guys if you're up for it. I know you guys all know your stuff!

This is my favorite page to post every year around this time. Jayski's paint scheme page, 2012 edition: http://www.jayski.com/schemes/paintschemes.htm

If you guys aren't familiar with Jayski, stop after ".com" and check out his entire site. It's a great resource throughout the season. And there is not a single thing NASCAR related that you can't find there. Easily the best NASCAR site on the interwebz.

Here are some of my favorites from the scheme page:

Not a Chevy fan, but this is bad azz. Fitting colors too...

33chevy100th-rcr.jpg

This is a big improvement, IMO. Doesn't look like an ARCA car anymore....:ols:

88amp-diecast.jpg

Hmmm.....Too expensive to make 'em all look like Cup cars, I guess. ;)

48lowes-diecast.jpg

And of course your 2012 champion.... :D

99fastenal-diecast.jpg

I'm in. Is this like what BB used to so?

And what would you guys say to a fantasy league on Yahoo?

MONGO!!!! :point2sky

Good to see all the familiar NASCAR screen names back in one place.

And no, this is different than BB's. I'm thinking draft. Either 2 or 3 cars, depending on how many players we get. (I'd like to keep it around 12.) Allow one FA move every six races (first come, first served.) Trades as agreed upon by the teams. And borrowing ONE measly idea from BS, maybe re-draft (worst to first) after 18 races.

Yahoo isn't a draft style, is it? Just pick so many cars each week and get their points, with multiple players able to pick the same cars, right?

I'm down for whatever, as well as suggestions on my idea (except yours, BS. :ols:) Just want to add a little more excitement/interest for the NASCAR regulars here.

A few things:

1) I'm glad you're not me, and vice versa. :)

2) There is no confusion. 1=1. 2=2. 3=3, etc. If that's too tough to follow, then any fantasy sport is going to be WAY over your head. :ols:

3) If you would like to create your own game and run it, by all means, do. That way I can enjoy it, and YOU can do all the work. Otherwise, yeah. I'll go with the original plan. :D

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 03:12 PM ----------

So we've got me, Bubble, Hdf, mikered, and I'm signing SC up, whether he likes it or not. I know he'll play.

dubbz, ASF, and pj, we'd love to have you guys if you're up for it. I know you guys all know your stuff!

I thought you said you wanted ideas for the game? So why are you coming down hard on me? I was just offering some ideas to improve the game. I enjoyed BB's game, and the time he put into it. But I thought it lacked any originality whatsoever. There's no fun in playing when most people are all picking the same 2 or 3 drivers each week. Furthermore, there were guys picking basically the same driver every week (usually Jimmie Johnson).

As for me playing fantasy sports. You don't know how far off base you were with that comment. Been playing fantasy racing for nearly 15 years, man. Won thousands of dollars. Won nearly $3,000 just this past year. So yeah, I think I know a thing or two about fantasy sports.

And I was saying go with the Nascar pts system because it's simpler. Getting more pts for finishing higher seems the better way to go, imo. And it would be easy to figure up the pts just by going to Nascar's website after each race and looking at the results.

Seriously, I wouldn't do a contest where you can pick a driver as many times as you want. It's silly. At most, you should only allow us to pick the same driver twice. Or if you split up the season into two halves, then you can only pick a driver once over the course of the 18 races. Same with the last 18.

Just some suggestions, man. Not trying to tell you how to run the game.

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 01:32 AM ----------

You're in, sir. :cheers:

That's six. Let's try to get to 10-12 and close it.

Why limit it to just 10-12? You should probably offer signups up until Feb 26th. Get as many people as you can. Because you know there are always those that will drop out. Or are you saying 10-12 to make it easier on you? Because I can sort of understand that angle.

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 01:35 AM ----------

Yeah hog, jayski is a great site. I've known about it for many years.

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 01:39 AM ----------

I'm in. Is this like what BB used to so?

And what would you guys say to a fantasy league on Yahoo?

I play in several money leagues, so I wouldn't be down for any yahoo league. This is the only free league I plan on doing.

Btw, if anyone wants to know the name of some great fantasy racing sites (money ones), let me know. Played at all the top ones over the years.

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 01:44 AM ----------

MONGO!!!! :point2sky

Good to see all the familiar NASCAR screen names back in one place.

And no, this is different than BB's. I'm thinking draft. Either 2 or 3 cars, depending on how many players we get. (I'd like to keep it around 12.) Allow one FA move every six races (first come, first served.) Trades as agreed upon by the teams. And borrowing ONE measly idea from BS, maybe re-draft (worst to first) after 18 races.

Yahoo isn't a draft style, is it? Just pick so many cars each week and get their points, with multiple players able to pick the same cars, right?

I'm down for whatever, as well as suggestions on my idea (except yours, BS. :ols:) Just want to add a little more excitement/interest for the NASCAR regulars here.

You might have me confused with someone else, hog. I don't recall recommending anything about re-drafting. I never even mentioned anything about a draft. I was saying that you pick one driver each week for the first 18 races, but you can't pick the same driver twice. In other words, you'd pick 18 different drivers over the course of the first 18 races. Same with the last 18 races. I actually play in a contest that uses this very format. It's incredibly fun.

The new paint schemes look pretty nice.

Looking forward to the new fuel injection also.

I just hope they don't have too many issues with the fuel injection thing. Greg Biffle was practicing pit stops at the Daytona testing thing a couple weeks ago, and he stalled his car leaving his pit box. It took him forever to get it back going. Most drivers don't seem to think they will run into too many problems with it, so we'll see. And most of them seem to like the throttle response better now, since they added the fuel injection.

I just hope all the changes Nascar has made recently to deter the two-car tandem drafting, works. I can't stand that kind of racing. Hopefully with all the changes they made at the restrictor plate tracks that it will make them go back to the pack racing. More exciting that way.

Man I would love to, but I don't know if I'll have time. My wife and I are expecting in about 3 weeks, and then I'm taking an entire month off for maternity leave. So I don't think I'll be able to fully commit to fantasy nascar. I really appreciate the offer though.

Plus, after going 5-9 during fantasy football......I need to get some of my mojo back!

Yo Hog, I'll play.

Thanks bud. :cheers:

Man I would love to, but I don't know if I'll have time. My wife and I are expecting in about 3 weeks, and then I'm taking an entire month off for maternity leave. So I don't think I'll be able to fully commit to fantasy nascar. I really appreciate the offer though.

Congratulations man! All the best to you and your family!

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

Why limit it to just 10-12? You should probably offer signups up until Feb 26th. Get as many people as you can. Because you know there are always those that will drop out. Or are you saying 10-12 to make it easier on you? Because I can sort of understand that angle

10-12 because I want to draft. You can't very well have 25 multi-car teams with a 43-car field.

Archived