Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2012 NASCAR Thread

SC_RedskinsFan

7PM start means race won't be over until 11:30 at the earliest. Bad call, unless you live in Cali.

I think there is still rain possibilitys later on. I doubt they get the track dried, start at 7pm and finish this race. They might get half of it in but that would suck being the 500.

AccuWeather.com shows rain showers this evening. Nascar must use a different forecast. How many hours does it take to dry the track? This could be the Daytona 253. I wonder if they will still give out the bonus for the race leader at the half way point if the race is shortened. I also wonder if they push it back to Tuesday if it would be in prime time. That does not give the haulers a lot of time for getting to phoenix.

7PM start means race won't be over until 11:30 at the earliest. Bad call, unless you live in Cali.

It's better than Noon.

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 10:57 AM ----------

AccuWeather.com shows rain showers this evening. Nascar must use a different forecast. How many hours does it take to dry the track?

They say at least 2 hours.

It's better than Noon.
It would have been better if NASCAR had left it scheduled for last weekend instead of cowering in fear of the NFL. Race woulda went off as planned, and teams would be getting ready for Phoenix this weekend in the high desert. And noon is no worse than 7. Perfect would be 5PM start. Track is gonna be 3/4 empty anyway. 90% of the crowd flys/rolls out Monday morning. Zero chance more than half can burn Mon, Tues and Wed for a race that was supposed to start on Sun.

Hey folks - so in no way do I claim to know anything about Nascar, nor have I watched a race from beginning to end in 5 years, but to try and force myself to watch Nascar with a buddy since no one else will, I joined a $30 fantasy Nascar league.

With that being said, you get $100 for 5 drivers, and each one has a value on the site. Here are my five, and are they 1/2 way decent choices?:

Edwards, Busch (18), Labonte, McMurray, Ragan

Hey folks - so in no way do I claim to know anything about Nascar, nor have I watched a race from beginning to end in 5 years, but to try and force myself to watch Nascar with a buddy since no one else will, I joined a $30 fantasy Nascar league.

With that being said, you get $100 for 5 drivers, and each one has a value on the site. Here are my five, and are they 1/2 way decent choices?:

These are stout:

Edwards

Ky Busch

McMurray

Edwards and Busch should be in contention for the championship. Each will likely win multiple races (I will say 3+ each). McMurray has a chance to win at all the restricter plate races (Daytona and Talledega), and should be in contention to make the chase.

These are questionable:

Labonte (I am assuming Bobby?)

Ragan

Labonte isn't gonna win any races. Ragan is on a small team now, and will probably struggle to make all the races.

Looks like Nascar invented a time machine. From their home page: WEATHER DELAYS DAYTONA 500: DUE TO RAIN, RESCHEDULED FOR 09/19/11, 7:00PM ET

Wow, that's hilarious!! Is it even going to happen today? I know a lot of people are ticked off...happened in ATL last season, you shoulda seen the screaming going on about how much money it all costs, etc. and that a lot of folks can't hang around for another day (or two) because they have to get back to work (thank God they have jobs).

GO SMOKE!!

And noon is no worse than 7. Perfect would be 5PM start.

Most of the country is at work at noon. At least with it being at 7, they'll get a MUCH better rating AND attendance.

EDIT: And again, do you want the biggest event in Nascar to happen while most of the country is at work?

First off, you should have never joined a league that cost $30 to enter. I will send you (and anyone else who is interested just let me know) a PM about the best one around that is FREE (but still pays cash, and no, it's not the stupid ESPN ones).

As someone that has played fantasy for years, I have no idea what you're talking about with your description of the game: Is this for just the 500 or for the season? If those are your choices for Daytona, then you made decent selections. However, without knowing the values of each driver, I can't say for sure these are great selections. Edwards and Kyle have a very good shot at the win. Labonte (I'm assuming you mean Bobby?) finished top 5 there last year. McMurray won the 500 a few years ago under this same style of racing (they are back to 'pack' racing at Daytona now). Ragan won the last Daytona race (in July), and is known to be one of the better restrictor plate drivers out there (at least among the mid-tier drivers).

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

It would have been better if NASCAR had left it scheduled for last weekend instead of cowering in fear of the NFL. Race woulda went off as planned, and teams would be getting ready for Phoenix this weekend in the high desert. And noon is no worse than 7. Perfect would be 5PM start. Track is gonna be 3/4 empty anyway. 90% of the crowd flys/rolls out Monday morning. Zero chance more than half can burn Mon, Tues and Wed for a race that was supposed to start on Sun.
The first part of that is 100% correct. Nascar should have left well enough alone. This is the first time ever that the race was postponed. Should have never moved the race to this weekend. The weather forecast was good last weekend, too. You're right, they were worried about the NFL going to an 18-game schedule, so they moved it back a week. STUPID decision.

You're wrong about noon being no worse than 7 pm. As you mentioned, the race is in Phoenix next weekend. So even having the race postponed until noon today would have been a logistical nightmare. Having it now pushed back to 7 pm just compounds the problem. Now all the teams will have to do some serious scrambling to get their haulers (Phoenix cars) to the track next weekend.

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 12:31 PM ----------

I think there is still rain possibilitys later on. I doubt they get the track dried, start at 7pm and finish this race. They might get half of it in but that would suck being the 500.
They said at around 3 pm that this system might be moving out. If that happens, they'll have no problems getting the race going at 7 pm (only takes 2-2.5 hours to dry the track). However, if it starts raining again at any point after starting, then they are gonna have some real issues. At this point, though, I'm sure they are only concerned with getting half of it finished. Yeah, it will totally suck if it's the 500 and not getting it all in, but there's nothing you can do about the weather.

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

No way either labonte wins unless they don't pit and play the rain game and hope the race ends under caution after the half way point.
This is simply not true. Did you not watch last year? A rookie, making his first ever start, won the 500. And he was only 20 years old! Daytona is one of the few tracks (Talladega being the other) where there is more of a level playing field (more than half of the drivers have a shot at winning).

Bobby Labonte finished in the top 5 just last year. So did David Gilliland. And David Ragan won his only Cup race at the July Daytona race.

Bubble & Popeman

Sorry, I should have explained further. $30 is the prize pool (12, $360 pool, 270 for first, 90 for second), not the site. the site is Nascar's website (Free). Each race, you get $100 to spend, and Nascar's site values each driver at an amount. For Daytona, I chose:

Carl Edwards - 27.00

David Ragan - 18.00

Jamie McMurray - 15.00

Kyle Busch - 26.00

Bobby Labonte - 12.00

I took last year's results, and this year's news into my decisions. Thanks for all your responses!!!!!

These are stout:

Edwards

Ky Busch

McMurray

Edwards and Busch should be in contention for the championship. Each will likely win multiple races (I will say 3+ each). McMurray has a chance to win at all the restricter plate races (Daytona and Talledega), and should be in contention to make the chase.

These are questionable:

Labonte (I am assuming Bobby?)

Ragan

Labonte isn't gonna win any races. Ragan is on a small team now, and will probably struggle to make all the races.

Ragan is with Front Row Motorsports. They finished in the top 35 last year, meaning they are guaranteed a starting spot each week. However, I think he may not drive each race. They had a 3-driver rotation at Front Row last year, and I think they are doing that again this year. Gilliland and Ragan will more than likely drive the majority of the races, but I think Travis Kvapil will race for that team at times, too.

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 12:50 PM ----------

Most of the country is at work at noon. At least with it being at 7, they'll get a MUCH better rating AND attendance.

EDIT: And again, do you want the biggest event in Nascar to happen while most of the country is at work?

Dude at this point none of that really matters. At this point, Nascar is just wanting to get the race in. Granted, the race will get much better ratings if it does off at 7 pm tonite, opposed to noon. But that is the least of their concerns right now.

---------- Post added February-27th-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

Wow, that's hilarious!! Is it even going to happen today? I know a lot of people are ticked off...happened in ATL last season, you shoulda seen the screaming going on about how much money it all costs, etc. and that a lot of folks can't hang around for another day (or two) because they have to get back to work (thank God they have jobs).

GO SMOKE!!

People are idiots. There isn't a damn thing Nascar can do about the weather. They should have left the race last weekend, though. It would have went off as scheduled, and they wouldn't be in this mess.

Ragan is with Front Row Motorsports. They finished in the top 35 last year, meaning they are guaranteed a starting spot each week. However, I think he may not drive each race. They had a 3-driver rotation at Front Row last year, and I think they are doing that again this year. Gilliland and Ragan will more than likely drive the majority of the races, but I think Travis Kvapil will race for that team at times, too.
Only guaranteed a spot for 1st 5 races. After that, you have to be in top 35 in owners points for a locked in spot. If not, you qualify at end of session with fellow go or go home-ers.

Labonte, no way get rid of him if you can. Edwards came in 2nd in the chase last year to Smoke, so he and Kyle will net you plenty of points, McMurray and Ragan will finish on the bubble around 12th place either barely making or missing the chase. But, Labonte, nah, he's driving for the sponsors now no way he competes.

*edit...I forgot that Ragan was on a new team...scratch what I said about him, he'll struggle to do much this year.

*edit x2

As for betting on Daytona...good luck, both Daytona races and both of Talladega races are TOTAL crap shoots, anyone can win and anyone can be wrecked, there is no method to restrictor plate races because you're talking a 200mph moving parking lot where the lead changes every couple of laps and the leader can be running in 14th by the next lap. Basically Daytona is all about surviving until lap 199 and hoping you're near the front to make a move that's it.

*edit x2

As for betting on Daytona...good luck, both Daytona races and both of Talladega races are TOTAL crap shoots, anyone can win and anyone can be wrecked, there is no method to restrictor plate races because you're talking a 200mph moving parking lot where the lead changes every couple of laps and the leader can be running in 14th by the next lap. Basically Daytona is all about surviving until lap 199 and hoping you're near the front to make a move that's it.

Thanks!

I'll definatley take your advice going forward, but stick with this for tonight. Reason being i have work then bowling. So hopefully i can do better next week!

If NASCAR can get the full race in tonight Primetime on Fox....could be awesome for the sport.

However... if they rain shorten "the superbowl" on Primetime...gonna look pretty stupid. If they start around 730...you figure theres going to be alot of wrecks..a couple rain delays, this could easily be a 5 hour race.

Could be the July race that finished around 1-2am a few years ago...Stewarts first Cup win at daytona though ;)

If NASCAR can get the full race in tonight Primetime on Fox....could be awesome for the sport.

However... if they rain shorten "the superbowl" on Primetime...gonna look pretty stupid. If they start around 730...you figure theres going to be alot of wrecks..a couple rain delays, this could easily be a 5 hour race.

Could be the July race that finished around 1-2am a few years ago...Stewarts first Cup win at daytona though ;)

Usually for rain delayed races, the start time is the start time. Nor opening ceremonies, they happened yesterday. Fox will come on air to cars rollin off pit road, green flag by 7:15

Archived