Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jammal Brown’s future hinges on offseason rehab

Oldskool

Was posted in breaking news but not in Stadium. Re-posted for more views.

webonly----JN2_7989_1323624781.jpg?uuid=QGlLKiQlEeG6UZmisn9jBQ

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/jammal-browns-future-hinges-on-offseason-rehab/2012/01/04/gIQAL1VWaP_blog.html?wprss=football-insider

When the Washington Redskins re-signed right tackle Jammal Brown in July to a five-year deal worth $20.25 million, the hope was that two years removed from hip surgery, he would regain the form that made him a Pro Bowl player in 2006 and 2008 with the New Orleans Saints.

But it quickly became apparent that Brown still hadn’t fully recovered, and he remained hobbled for a second consecutive season. Now the seven-year veteran’s future hinges on a strong offseason and his ability to return to 100 percent, Coach Mike Shanahan says.

Brown missed the 2009 season while recovering from the surgery, and Washington acquired him in the summer of 2010 with one year remaining on his deal. Brown played in 15 games that season, but was hampered by the surgically-repaired hip.

Because of the NFL lockout, Brown couldn’t further rehabilitate the hip with the Redskins’ medical staff. But the team still re-signed him with the anticipation that a second offseason of rest had helped the 6-foot-6, 313-pound tackle further heal.

Brown reported for training camp with the belief that his hip was much better. But he still wasn’t as effective as he and the Redskins hoped as he continued to play through pain. The bad hip and a reoccurring groin injury limited him to only 12 games.

Despite his new contract, Brown has a murky future. Only this past season’s $2.75 million base salary was guaranteed, and to carry him on the 2012 roster would mean a $4.6 million salary cap hit. (The Redskins would suffer a cap hit of $4.4 million if they cut Brown before June 1, but if they cut him after that date, the cap hit for 2012 would be only $1.1 million, and $3.3 million of it would be deferred to 2013).

Most players coming off of serious injury and requiring rehabilitation still receive that treatment at Redskins Park during the offseason. (The rest of the players are expected to report around the middle of April for the beginning of offseason practices). Shanahan sat down with Brown on Monday and informed him that he would like the player to do so as well to give Brown the best chance to finally achieve a full recovery.

“Jammal is a guy that is very talented. I think we know what he’s done. He has been hampered with injuries,” Shanahan said. “His future will be determined on how he heals up in the offseason. He’s going to be here all offseason. I’ve talked to him, had a good conversation with him. He knows he’s got to get in great shape because he knows he can play at a very high level if he’s feeling good.

“That hip was by no means close to 100 percent this year. So he’s going to be here throughout the offseason getting in the best shape that he can possibly get in to give himself the best opportunity to start next year. If not, he understands that it’s a short career if you can’t stay healthy.”

Understanding what’s at stake, Brown had no problem remaining in the area, and he believes that he is fully capable of working his way back into top form.

“Yeah, this whole offseason is important. I need to get some rest, and then get back on it,” Brown said. “It’ll really help, this being my first offseason with this team, having this structure and whatnot. If I can get healthy, I can be a Pro Bowl player again.”

I just don't see him getting healthy at this point in his career. If the numbers are as advertised and only $2.7 was guaranteed then I would move on and find a younger healthier replacement. If he does show progress than at least give Willie Smith an opportunity to compete for the spot...

It was a bad idea to trade for him, it was a bad idea to give him the contract we did, and there's no reason to waste any more time on him. We need a RT and Brown isn't it.

They probably should have seen this after his 1st season here. It was obvious that he didn't have it, and there was some wishful thinking that it would get better simply because of rest.

Overall, I've been somewhat disappointed at the team's attempts to rebuild the OL. They seem to be mostly building it with castoffs and spare parts.

I am all for giving Brown one more year to get in shape and perform like we envisioned him to be. If that doesn't happen then he needs to go. I think that the lockout hurt him and other players trying to rehab and get back to playing form. So I give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. But to be safe we should draft or find a quality backup to replace him besides we need depth anyway.

Overall, I've been somewhat disappointed at the team's attempts to rebuild the OL. They seem to be mostly building it with castoffs and spare parts.

Shanahan has only had 2 drafts and he did use the #4 overall pick on a LT. I hear you, we have brought in several cast offs. But I think the FO will draft another couple of OL this year and will likely pick one up in rounds 2 or 3.

As for Brown, I am for bringing him back IF he can get back to 100%. Healthy, he is solid. But if we do bring him back it is last chance saloon time.

Archived