Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Redskins vs Giants HC/FO Discussion Thread--Year Three Looms Ahead--Will We Hulk Up or Puke Out? "

Jumbo

Not enough volunteers to do these threads this week :(

I'm writing these OPs before the game starts so my thoughts are: what's these guys' grade as the season ends. The draft will tell us so much more, but for now how's it looking the way we're ending the season?

I've always had faith in Shanahallen, and this game is confirming that faith so far. Even if we somehow blow it and wind up losing, there's been a lot of improvement in many parts of this team. Just imagine how we'll look after another offseason, and with a better quarterback.

I think that, if I had to pick the best thing about my Skins, it would be the way they've handled the FO, the draft strategy, things like that.

Heck, I think we had a pick in every round of the draft, this year. And it looks like we probably will, next year, too.

I think that this game, considering how many players we had who weren't starters in Week 1, says a lot about the team.

I think it says a lot about the team's character.

I think the fact that Fletch wants to stay here says a lot.

I think that last week's game against the Pats said a lot, too.

I'm not predicting Super Bowl next year. I'm not guaranteeing playoffs. (But a decent draft, maybe if things come together at the right time? I could see us winning the division.)

But yeah, I'm a lot more than merely satisfied with our personnel management.

Moving in the right direction. I hate all of this "suck for a draft pick" talk. I believed that 5-6 weeks ago, but as I see this team improving I believe momentum heading into next season will help us much more. We'll have to trade up in the draft, and probably give up multiple picks to move up, but that is fine by me. Next year is a transitional year for us. I fully expect an 8-8 or 9-7 record next year and then big things in 2013.

I'm not at all sure that we need to move up.

Face it, there will be talent available with the #10 pick.

Heck, there will be talent available for the #10 pick in the second round. The third round is a long shot, but it's not unheard of.

Now, that talent might or might not play QB. But that's OK with me. For one thing, I don't think there's such a thing as a guaranteed pick for QB. For another, I don't think that our need at QB is all that much more glaring than our need at any other position.

There isn't a position on the team that we could draft at, say, #10, where I'd spit my drink. Well, any position other than kicker.

Keep learning to win and the young guys are getting valuable playing time. What impressed me the most today was Fletch was out there having fun. He was laying licks on people and it was obvious he was enjoying himself. It makes me more confident that he will be coming back next year.

I'm not at all sure that we need to move up.

Face it, there will be talent available with the #10 pick.

Heck, there will be talent available for the #10 pick in the second round. The third round is a long shot, but it's not unheard of.

Now, that talent might or might not play QB. But that's OK with me. For one thing, I don't think there's such a thing as a guaranteed pick for QB. For another, I don't think that our need at QB is all that much more glaring than our need at any other position.

There isn't a position on the team that we could draft at, say, #10, where I'd spit my drink. Well, any position other than kicker.

I hear you, but they HAVE to get a QB in this draft. I mean, we've seen the Rex Grossman show for virtually a full season now, and he is who is he is. He can play well at times, but he's physically limited, and he's prone to untimely stupid mental errors. I'm not saying they have to trade every pick in the draft to get Andrew Luck. But I'm also saying that if they do, I won't go nuts either. It depends on what QB they think they can install with the most success for the longest period of time. If that guy is somebody they can find in the second round, great. If not, and you have to go up, then up you go. They HAVE to solve this problem, and trading 2 #1's for a guy who can play QB at a high level for a decade is worth it. Granted, it's a crap shoot, but sometimes you've just gotta try.

I think the draft will be a huge impact. But I don't think we have really settled down into what we are planning to draft. There are going to be some key FA QB's this year and we all know how Snyder likes to through out the money. I would not be surprised if we try to acquire a big name quarterback on the tail end of his career, despite our recent adventure, and go after a solid number 1 receiver such as Blackmon or Jefferies. Honestly I know it sounds crazy but there is still more football to be played and who knows where we will end up with draft picks,

I was explaining to my friend (Browns fan) today how it would not only be worth it but would be the smart move for Cleveland to trade both 1's this year and even their 1 next year to move into the #1 spot this year and take Luck. I truly believe that move would be in their best interest if the Colts took it.

Given that, I guess I really could not be upset if we traded multiple picks to move up and grab a QB. I've been a big supporter of Rex this year but that position is by far our biggest need and for this team to progress into an annual contender they need to solve that issue. Whatever it takes this offseason, we need to find a QB and they NEED to pan out.

I love the direction the organization is moving in, and I think this is the draft for Shanny to get his guy. He whiffed on the McNabb move, but I think the "win now" made him reach a bit on it. Otherwise, I think it's hard to really point to any bad personnel moves during his or Bruce's tenure. If we have to trade a few picks to get our guy, so be it. I have confidence that Shanny can find gems in the later rounds at other positions, but QB is the most important position on the field and we need a game changer. We have to remember the draft order is far from set; we could finish 5-11 or 7-9, with a few teams in the same position. My guess is the Browns and Jags get ahead of us in the draft, and the Dolphins probably ending up picking behind us. If an elite QB is all we end up with on draft day, I would be OK with that.

Archived