Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Frank: Lurie must fire Reid

Commander PK

http://www.csnphilly.com/xfinity/Lurie-must-fire-Reid-to-restore-Birds-im?blockID=605776&feedID=704

Reading this, I had the distinct impression I was reading an article about the Redskins from 2009.

Jeffrey Lurie sees the exact same things we see.

All of it.

He sees Stacy Andrews leave Philly with $9 million after starting two games. He sees Kevin Curtis leave Philly with $15.3 million after having one great game and a bunch of mediocre ones. He sees $4 million pickup Vince Young throwing the football to the other team pass after pass after pass.

He sees Jerome McDougle drafted instead of Troy Polamalu, Brandon Graham instead of Earl Thomas, Trevor Laws instead of Calais Campbell.

He sees Chris Clemons, Chris Gocong, Antwan Barnes, Joe Mays and Brodrick Bunkley -- non-factors here -- join other teams and immediately excel.

He sees the Eagles stick with players who clearly can’t play, like Ernie Sims, Will James, L.J. Smith, Nick Cole and Reggie Brown. He sees guys regress, like Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson, Nate Allen and Stewart Bradley. He sees Day 1 draft picks making zero impact, like Daniel Te’o-Nesheim, Victor Abiamiri and Bryan Smith.

He sees his head coach punting when he should go for it and going for it when he should punt. He sees the ill-fated Ronnie Brown option play, the rookie punter underthrowing an open receiver by 20 yards, the fourth-down goal-line pass to Brent Celek that had no chance to work.

He sees it all.

He sees the Juan Castillo disaster. The 1-8 record at home over the past 365 days. The blowout losses. The lack of discipline. The NFL-record five blown fourth-quarter leads. The penalties. The missed tackles. The bickering coaches on the sideline. The “Fire Andy” chants and banners. The three consecutive years since a postseason win. Rory Segrest. A fan base furious every time it has to watch legendary Brian Dawkins deliver a huge play for the Broncos while his replacements bumble their way through missed tackle after missed tackle.

Lurie is a smart man. Smart enough to turn his initial $185 million investment in 1994 into a franchise now worth $1.16 billion with a beautiful stadium and practice facility, a long season-ticket waiting list and massive merchandise sales.

He also sees Jon Gruden winning a Super Bowl in their first year, Mike Tomlin winning a Super Bowl in his second year, Sean Payton winning a Super Bowl in his fourth year.

And it’s impossible to escape this conclusion: If Lurie does indeed see everything we see, he will change coaches when the 2011 season ends.

Maybe. But Lurie also sees that the reason his investment/ticket sales increased the way they did was while AR was his coach. I'm really torn about the possibility of AR leaving. Part of me is ready for a significant change, but another part of me would like to see a new regime. A new regime would hopefully bring about what I would like to see, which is, movement in a different direction for the QB position. Get a young QB, use Vick as the holdover guy next year, and then transition the year after.

Funny, but I was watching the coaches' show on NFLN last week, and Mora and Billick just can't say anything bad about a coach. They explained way the bickering on the sidelines and said that if Philly fires Ried, they'd be losing a damn good coach.

Maybe so, but when you bring up the list above, it is really hard to defend all of that. There are a lot of failures throughout the organization, and Ried is at the center of it.

Maybe. But Lurie also sees that the reason his investment/ticket sales increased the way they did was while AR was his coach. I'm really torn about the possibility of AR leaving. Part of me is ready for a significant change, but another part of me would like to see a new regime. A new regime would hopefully bring about what I would like to see, which is, movement in a different direction for the QB position. Get a young QB, use Vick as the holdover guy next year, and then transition the year after.

Pointy, I don't think that would be a wise decision (using Vick as the holdover). Unless you get a mobile Vick-like QB, more than likely you're either going to change the system in year two once he takes over or midseason if he takes the reigns then. It might work using the first option, but except in the rarest of cases (meaning Tim Tebow) overhauling the system mid-season doesn't work. Of course, if you go with option 1, then you're paying Vick multi-millions of dollars to essentially be a seat-warmer.

Lurie also sees teams like the Redskins who fire their coaches left and right and haven't truly had any sort of stability for couple of decades.

The difference being that Andy Reid has been there for years and still has yet to accomplish the one goal that determines success if this lead; a Super Bowl. And since assuming a role more close to that of a general manager, he's made some silly, if not downright dumb personnel moves, and his odd clock management and playcalling has yet to improve in his entire tenure.

Sometimes you just need a fresh face. I think that's what Philly needs. Not to go on a coaching carousel, but they just need some fresh blood. Andy's been there a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time, and I don't know if guys are buying what he's selling anymore.

The difference being that Andy Reid has been there for years and still has yet to accomplish the one goal that determines success if this lead; a Super Bowl. And since assuming a role more close to that of a general manager, he's made some silly, if not downright dumb personnel moves, and his odd clock management and playcalling has yet to improve in his entire tenure.

Sometimes you just need a fresh face. I think that's what Philly needs. Not to go on a coaching carousel, but they just need some fresh blood. Andy's been there a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time, and I don't know if guys are buying what he's selling anymore.

I dunno I always feel like you replace a guy like Reid at a high point and give a good team to an incoming coach. A lot of people up here are talking Gruden, Cowher, and others. I know those guys are good coaches but just like with Mike Shanahan, its going to take them a while to come back from this no matter who the coach is.

Then again if you see this season as a low point I suppose it makes sense to cut Reid loose and let the rebuild happen with a new coach. It just seems like a lot of people forget just how good of a coach Andy Reid has been. I think that his issues as of late mainly stem from his fantastic assistants either being plucked away for coaching jobs elsewhere, or in Jim Johnson's case he lost his battle with cancer. A head coach is often only as good as his talented assistant coaches *COUGH* SHANAHAN AND KUBIAK *COUGH* and when you take that away the whole thing can fall apart.

If I were the Eagles right now I would be more interested in hiring a good GM than firing Andy Reid. I don't know what their structure has been exactly when it comes to drafting and free agent decisions but they have had years upon years of terrible drafts at this point. I don't know if Reid is to blame, but it is entirely possible that if the Eagles had a good GM giving Reid the right people to work with, as well as some better coordinators and assistant coaches, he could likely be that 10+ win playoff coach once again. The thing is he's always been a playoff choke. Marty Schottenheimer was fired from San Diego for being a playoff choke...

I just don't know if a guy like Jon Gruden would honestly be all that much better than Andy Reid has been.

The writer of that article just isn't used to his team playing like crap. The important thing is not to panic. Hell, if Dan Snyder fired a coach every time our team underachieved he'd be on like his seventh coach by now ...

Oh wait.

I dunno I always feel like you replace a guy like Reid at a high point and give a good team to an incoming coach. A lot of people up here are talking Gruden, Cowher, and others. I know those guys are good coaches but just like with Mike Shanahan, its going to take them a while to come back from this no matter who the coach is.

That's what is really frustrating to so many Eagle fans. This team, who were very close to the Packers in the playoffs was a fairly good team that needed a RCB and some OL help. They really should not be a 4-8 team but obviously they are. I am strongly opposed to a Gruden/Cowher type as I don't think that normally works.

Then again if you see this season as a low point I suppose it makes sense to cut Reid loose and let the rebuild happen with a new coach. It just seems like a lot of people forget just how good of a coach Andy Reid has been. I think that his issues as of late mainly stem from his fantastic assistants either being plucked away for coaching jobs elsewhere, or in Jim Johnson's case he lost his battle with cancer. A head coach is often only as good as his talented assistant coaches *COUGH* SHANAHAN AND KUBIAK *COUGH* and when you take that away the whole thing can fall apart.

Very true. Losing JJ probably hurt him more than anything. Spags & Harbaugh were two quality coaches that are now head coaches. But nothing has hurt his success than losing JJ. Johnson rarely ever lost a game where the Eagles were leading going into the 4th quarter. I think the Eagles have done it 5 times this season.

If I were the Eagles right now I would be more interested in hiring a good GM than firing Andy Reid. I don't know what their structure has been exactly when it comes to drafting and free agent decisions but they have had years upon years of terrible drafts at this point. I don't know if Reid is to blame, but it is entirely possible that if the Eagles had a good GM giving Reid the right people to work with, as well as some better coordinators and assistant coaches, he could likely be that 10+ win playoff coach once again. The thing is he's always been a playoff choke. Marty Schottenheimer was fired from San Diego for being a playoff choke...

I think his defensive drafting has been bad, but I wouldn't say they've had years & years of overall terrible drafts. Maclin, Jackson, McCoy, Avant, Celek...those are all pretty good picks. Where he's crapped the bed is on defense: Abiamiri, McDougle, every LB ever drafted, Allen.

Lurie also sees teams like the Redskins who fire their coaches left and right and haven't truly had any sort of stability for couple of decades.

Maybe he should take a close look at himself, because with all the money they tossed at free agents in hopes of winning the big one immediately, they ARE what the Redskins were.

The only reason there is to fire Reid is for it to be a new face. I don't care what coach you bring in, it is going to be hard for them to be better than Reid. We are witnessing the begining of the end of the Eagles because if they fire Reid this year, they will be making a mistake.

Except it is less about his coaching and more about his personnel moves. That's really what has brought the Eagles down and is what Reid has to answer for.

It is the reason why I don't like head coaches having that much personnel power. Fact is, most of the time it ends up in failure.

Except it is less about his coaching and more about his personnel moves. That's really what has brought the Eagles down and is what Reid has to answer for.

It is the reason why I don't like head coaches having that much personnel power. Fact is, most of the time it ends up in failure.

True. But my thing still remains who is going to replace him? I say just keep him for 3 more years (I know crazy right) and if he doesn't win the Super Bowl just blow everything up.

I think his defensive drafting has been bad, but I wouldn't say they've had years & years of overall terrible drafts. Maclin, Jackson, McCoy, Avant, Celek...those are all pretty good picks. Where he's crapped the bed is on defense: Abiamiri, McDougle, every LB ever drafted, Allen.

Yeah he has made picks that have panned out on offense, but look at all of those players mentioned. Three WR's, a RB, and a TE are Andy Reid's good picks. Those are all skill position players. If you follow the tried and true model to building and maintaining a good team it is necessary to constantly add quality linemen. The offensive line under Reid in the past few seasons has not been great. I personally don't think his picks have been anything special in that regard. I think their inability to close out games has as much to do with their offensive line. They don't pound the run anymore, they don't have a big back who can take inside carries in short yardage situations. I remember the Eagles teams of 2000, 2001, 2002 with Duce Staley, alternating Dorsey Levens one of those years. They were a team that would get a lead, control the clock, and punch you in your mouth. Sure the defense isn't great anymore, but when Andy Reid turned into Mr. Pass happy west coast offense he got away from an aspect of football teams which I think a lot of organizations are lacking these days.

Its nice to have an offensive line and power backs that can pound the ball late in the game when you have the lead.

Yeah he has made picks that have panned out on offense, but look at all of those players mentioned. Three WR's, a RB, and a TE are Andy Reid's good picks. Those are all skill position players. If you follow the tried and true model to building and maintaining a good team it is necessary to constantly add quality linemen. The offensive line under Reid in the past few seasons has not been great. I personally don't think his picks have been anything special in that regard. I think their inability to close out games has as much to do with their offensive line. They don't pound the run anymore, they don't have a big back who can take inside carries in short yardage situations. I remember the Eagles teams of 2000, 2001, 2002 with Duce Staley, alternating Dorsey Levens one of those years. They were a team that would get a lead, control the clock, and punch you in your mouth. Sure the defense isn't great anymore, but when Andy Reid turned into Mr. Pass happy west coast offense he got away from an aspect of football teams which I think a lot of organizations are lacking these days.

Its nice to have an offensive line and power backs that can pound the ball late in the game when you have the lead.

It is kind of ironic that when they were going to those NFCCG people (fans & media) were giving Reid grief for not getting a "true #1 WR", and "if they had that, they would win". Soon as he moved his focus to finding playmakers, the OL started to suffer (especially once Thomas/Runyan left).

I think McCoy gives the Eagles their best running attack under Andy Reid. He's actually very good at putting games away with his running. AR has never been a "power back" guy, and in fact I would imagine most of the better offenses in the league aren't either. Yeah, most teams want to run the ball, especially with a lead late in the game, but John Riggins type offenses are long gone.

HELLLLOOOO! Andy Reid has been in Philly at least 10 years and hasn't won jack. Sure boast the four straight NFC Championship games and the lone Super Bowl appearrance but he still hasn't won it all. Lurie did what I thought he never would do and that go out and stock up on high profile FA's like Babin, Jenkins, Cromartie, Asmoughu, and Young all in one offseason. Lurie is a cheapskate but the new CBA forced him to spend money and what better way to do that then go out and sign a "Dream Team." I will bet you any amount of money that Reid did not make those decisions. Lurie thought he could do what Snyder could not do and that is win a Super Bowl with players acquired through FA. What he did was what he always did and make poor choices and forget about the players that are on his team playing at a high level, like Jackson. Sure Andy Reid is a very good coach but his pass first and then pass some more menatlity isn't producing wins when they need them. So Jackson will walk after the season and McCoy will be gone a few years later because Lurie won't pay him or even offer him a good deal. So firing reid may only satisfy the fans for a while before the realize that Lurie is the biggest problem with the Eagles. But then again we are talking about Eagle fans. They will throw their own mother under the bus for a win.

HELLLLOOOO! Andy Reid has been in Philly at least 10 years and hasn't won jack. Sure boast the four straight NFC Championship games and the lone Super Bowl appearrance but he still hasn't won it all. Lurie did what I thought he never would do and that go out and stock up on high profile FA's like Babin, Jenkins, Cromartie, Asmoughu, and Young all in one offseason. Lurie is a cheapskate but the new CBA forced him to spend money and what better way to do that then go out and sign a "Dream Team." I will bet you any amount of money that Reid did not make those decisions. Lurie thought he could do what Snyder could not do and that is win a Super Bowl with players acquired through FA. What he did was what he always did and make poor choices and forget about the players that are on his team playing at a high level, like Jackson. Sure Andy Reid is a very good coach but his pass first and then pass some more menatlity isn't producing wins when they need them. So Jackson will walk after the season and McCoy will be gone a few years later because Lurie won't pay him or even offer him a good deal. So firing reid may only satisfy the fans for a while before the realize that Lurie is the biggest problem with the Eagles. But then again we are talking about Eagle fans. They will throw their own mother under the bus for a win.

Link?

Archived