Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Defense of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

Fergasun

For some background on the topic of SOPA, read:

ArsTechnica: Strange Bedfellows, Nancy Pelosi and Ron Paul join SOPA Opposition

ArsTechnica: Are SOPA Sponsers About to Make Themselves Felons? Probably Not

Wikipedia: Stop Online Piracy Act

Congress is attempting to update their anti-piracy legislation, and in doing so has swatted the hornets nest known as the "Internet". I'm not going to defend some of the provisions at SOPA, rather, I'm going to take the side of the content providers, those who are attempting to advance the agenda of having easier tools to protect their copyrights.

I think it's fairly easy to understand why the content providers want more tools to go after the pirates and streamers. It's because the pirates and streamers are "winning". More and more, the tools to watch content from illegitimate sources are getting easier to bring to the masses. For instance: I'm interested in getting a Roku box. This box essentially brings Internet streams to the TV, and allows anyone interested to set up a private channel. While the traditional content providers might have enough problems on their hands with innovators sending out their own content for minimal cost (my wife and I can essentially replace our cable needs which previously cost ~ $500/year with services at around $250/year) the ability to set up private channels, which everyone can view makes items like the Roku, WD Live TV, all the more disruptive. Think Napster for TV and on steroids.

I hope in 5 years these Internet-TV channels end up giving end users the ala carte experience that we (well, I've) dreamed of for years... and I am glad that a lot of the content providers I've watched are making it easier and cheaper to get content legitimately.

However, there is also the opposite edge of that sword. While a Roku or other streaming box will set folks back $100, for something like $300 you can buy a decent home-theater-pc and run XBMC on it with plugins that pretty much give you a "pirate on demand" box... and it's made pretty transparent such that it doesn't even have the feel of piracy. While a number of technologies enable this (mega-upload, "scene index sites", XBMC platform) awesome content experience, none of the content providers are getting a benefit from it (other than lots of "freeloading customers"). And using DCMA takedown requests and current tools don't appear to be working or require a lot more lawyers than they are willing to pay the time for.

While I may not agree with the heavy hammer approach (and definitely not with things that border on the verge of censorship or the great firewall of china), I do see that there is a need for a hammer... and I can see why content providers are pushing for something like SOPA.

I think it's fairly easy to understand why the content providers want more tools to go after the pirates and streamers. It's because the pirates and streamers are "winning". More and more, the tools to watch content from illegitimate sources are getting easier to bring to the masses.

I couldn't agree more. I am not sure if I support SOPA (I haven't read the bill or enough excerpts of it to make a call), but you're absolutely right that content providers need more tools and thieves are winning the war.

Actually, I support the idea of making piracy both tougher and punishable. But I ALSO think that these laws have to have some rights for consumers. The impression I get is that when Congress is looking at these things, there's nobody in the room but the Congressman, and three lobbyists from the copyright industry.

IMO, too many of the restrictions imposed are based around things like forcing consumers who have already purchased content, to buy the content AGAIN, if they want to use it with the new technology.

Just as an example, I think the law should recognize the consumer's right to "media shift", to take content which they've allready purchased, and to transport it to he new technology, and to produce backup opies for their own use, to protect against their media degrading over time.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking that this SOPA thing is EXACTLY what our form of government was built to fight against. If this thing passes the representatives should really be made an example of and voted out of their respective office I don't care if they are blue or red.

And for the folks who support the crazy bill watch this entire video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

These people are as crooked as it gets and they are banking on people sitting back and doing nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

White house comes out aganist SOPA and PIPA as they are now written

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/01/14/obama-administration-responds-we-people-petitions-sopa-and-online-piracy

as does craiglist

http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

Reddit’s anti-SOPA “Nuclear” protest

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/reddits-anti-sopa-8220nuclear-8221-protest-is-a-good-start/1877?tag=content

these are horrible bills. They will take out the innocent as well as the guilty

Archived