Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES 11/27 Special Teams Thread: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Field Goals.

Hubbs

I have been a Danny Smith fan for many years but it is time for him to go. The combination of penalties on almost every single PR and KR along with the fact that we our online seems incapable of preventing FGs to be blocked is enough for me to advocate his firing.

I have LOVED our punting this year, but that is not enough for me to justify his return.

Time for Danny to go.

Which positives?

Please. be specific.

the ONLY positive anything you've given is that other coaches like him, and Shanny does too... and supposedly shanny has offered him and extension and you're 'close to the situation'. You blamed backups for our atrocious speciaal teams, and you gave him a pass because you pretend a coach is not responsible for what they do on the field.

You gave me a quote from a player talking about his boss, and I'm supposed to buy it?

I guess you think that when Tom Brady says he's really got a challenge coming up against the Colts defense, you buy that too?

You told me that it's not his FAULT when Gano misses a kick, and then you believed that i was talking about actual backup kickers, called me arrogant, etc.. (A laugh, I must say. to think you could read anything I've written on this subject and believe I was ACTUALLY wondering where our starting kicker was.. I keep wondering if that is a joke. Is it?)

You said "there's a reason all these people respect him and want him" a LOT,, and I keep asking for this reason. Over and over and over.

I have asked but a simple question that any football fan who follows this team should be able to easily answer, especially one "close to the situation".

What is this reason?

Show me something in the PLAY of his PLAYERS.

Until you do, you're another in a LONG LONG line of defenders of this joker that cannot answer that simple question.

Tell me ONE positive thing his special teams have been consistently good at in his 7 years here, and we can debate that.

Just ONE.

Consider it a challenge.

ONE.

~JUST ONE

I have been a Danny Smith fan for many years but it is time for him to go. The combination of penalties on almost every single PR and KR along with the fact that we our online seems incapable of preventing FGs to be blocked is enough for me to advocate his firing.

I have LOVED our punting this year, but that is not enough for me to justify his return.

Time for Danny to go.

Like I said not happening so u guys can quit arguing over it. Shanny knows how good a coach he is and that's y he considered it that important at this point in the year to offer him a new 2 year contract before his contract expires and other teams have a shot at him

And bang I have already listed plenty reasons but you ignore them just like u ignore every other answer of mine to ur "challenges" just like you asked for quotes from players saying how good he is and when I showed you them you say they don't matter so I don't see the point in responding to your ignorance anymore. The proof is in the contract. If u don't trust Shanny and his decision to keep him then it is only a matter of time before you start calling for his head. It's always talked about by people in the organization how perception between fans and people actually involved in the league is so far off. For instance how the average fan thinks some coaches/players are great/terrible and the actual decision makers see things completely differently

No in other words you don't listen. I have given plenty reasons

No you haven't. Among other questionable matters since you've joined, you've only done just what he's said on this topic: offered the same platitude type explanations for the "pro DS" side and nothing else. Bang has reasonably defined the terms (even if he rants at times on the general topic) for an honest debate on the matter and you keep replying without meeting them while insisting that you are. Stop that.

I really have no dog in this fight. I find the topic/situation fascinatingly odd and hard to figure. I am just sort of dazed and wondering and watching. But it wouldn't matter if I did have one side or the other, I'd be saying the same thing now.

So you can put up or shut up at this point 21. :)

It doesn't matter if you're who/what you are or not, at this point what you've main;y accomplished is to have three different moderators wondering wft you're adding to this board besides more white noise. "Get it together", would be my suggestion. :)

I hope you follow it. We'd like to have you and every starry-eyed new member survive and hang around to contribute to the forum. :)

Haha! Dad yelled at yooooo-uuu!

:pfft:

But in all seriousnesss.. i have been known to miss a thing or two, so I have read and re-read your posts again and again Never4Get21.

I can't find a single reason you've given that is anything other than "this guy likes him, so that means i do too."

You've said they are poor because our depth players are bad. I can accept this, EXCEPT when it is thrown right back that they're veryu good on kickoff coverages. They can't be both. Can't be poor players who manage to be the best coverage unit in the NFL, but being ranked in the bottom of the rest of their tasks. Poor players are poor plaers, and will never be number one in anything. Players who are number one in one thing and 29th in another are inconsistent, and inconsistency on that level starts with the coach.

To begin the debate, I will give you the one and only thing we've done reasonably well since Smith arrived.. cover kickoffs.

We do that very well, by the averages.

Of course, in the last seven years, we're among the lowest scoring teams in the NFL, which means we kickoff among the fewet times. Fewer kickoffs should lead to a decent average.

But in every single other category for a special teams, we're not only bad, we're one of the league worst.

For SEVEN YEARS.

So, basically, the only thing our special teams have been good at is the thing we do the least.

I will concede that we do cover kicks well when they bring them out of the end zone, and guys like Doughty and Alexander shine on special teams. But if you were my boss and you gave me four responsibilities to manage, and i did one of them really well but utterly failed in the other three so badly that it would cost your business money (or games, in the Redskins case) , you would not keep me around. And I would not deserve to be kept, either.

Like i said,, don't trust me,, go look it up. Take some intiative to learn something on your own. It's not hard. Besides, I have a feeling that if you don't come up with anything more than your usual nonsense, Jumbo might be giving you plenty of time to research things.

~Bang

Of course, in the last seven years, we're among the lowest scoring teams in the NFL, which means we kickoff among the fewet times. Fewer kickoffs should lead to a decent average.

Actually, it's exactly the opposite. Fewer kickoffs means that any screwup damages the average more, while more kickoffs gives a team more of a chance to smooth over miscues in the average.

I had a "chat" with 21 in PM, started by 21. And for now I am giving him benefit of the doubt his good intentions among other things I won't discuss, and am hoping he finds his ES legs. I am being optimistic and hope it goes in a productive way for all concerned, fwiw.

TB, hola, amigo. :)

Actually, it's exactly the opposite. Fewer kickoffs means that any screwup damages the average more, while more kickoffs gives a team more of a chance to smooth over miscues in the average.

When you factor in the number of touchbacks, it changes that considerably.

we cover well. But because we don't do it very often, we don't have nearly as many chances to give one up.

Unfortunately, this next bit of observation comes with no statistical backup,, but the old "giving one up when you least can afford it" has happened to this team quite a bit... the latest example being this past week with that pooch kick, Granted, it wasn't due to a big return, but to a monumentally stupid playcall.

Point is, consistently we make mistakes on special teams that are absolutely KILLING us. In the same game last week, i mentioned above the holding call on a fair catch that would have given us the ball at midfield.. a potentially CRUCIAL swing in field potision that could have enabled us to put points up and put more pressure on them. At the very least we could keep them pinned.

When we can least afford it, this special teams will make a mistake much more often than it should with a coach that is supposedly so awesome every NFL head coach keeps his photo in their wallet.

We average roughly 16 points a game over the last few years. In many games we only kick off twice, maybe three times. Some games once. Vs Buffalo we kicked to begin the second half, and that was it. It was a touchback. No return. That certainly assists in the number. There's certainly fewer opportunities to give up a big return to skew your average if no one is returning it.

The rest of the league is kcking off 3 or 4 or more times that day.

Game on , later ;)

~Bang

---------- Post added December-11th-2011 at 06:12 PM ----------

Too many men on the field! What a GREAT CALL!

Danny knows it's easier to get a big return with 12 men on the field.

First and ten from our own shminch line.

:thumbsup:

~Barf

Hadn't even paid attention to this thread until now, but **** DS...this clown has to go. Seriously, Mike. I have the utmost confidence in Shanny, but I can not see how this excuse of a coach is gainfully employed. Position coach jobs should be filled by up & coming coaching talent. If anyone believes this sorry lame duck coach will EVER be promoted to a coordinator or god forbid a HC, they're certifiably nuts.

Fire him by halftime.

(slips on a Bang jersey on the way out, slamming the door behind me)

That disastrous, short kick-off against the Jets put a nail in our own coffin last week. And that kick out of bounds against the Patriots dictated NE's playcalling and put them in a position to score quickly and easily. Seven years of this nonsense.....and counting..........

Fire Danny now. Seriously. This instant on the sidelines.

---------- Post added December-11th-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

>chompchompchompslurpSee Mike..chompchomp..we oughta slurpchewchewchew.. we oughta give Brady the ball at the 40.

That'll chompchompchomp that'll cross up his chew chew chew his slurpchewspit rythym.

~Danny chompchompchew

LMAO!!!!!

Do I smell a new Bang Cartoon on the way?

Do I smell a new Bang Cartoon on the way?

I wish i had time. I'd have a field day on that guy.

Say,, check this out.

We kick directionally, Brady has the ball at the 40 and scores in 2 plays.

We kick it deep, and the ball goes 4 yards deep and we stop them at the 15.

Now, I'm no expert, but....

~Bang

Time for this one to end. We can have another Danny Smith thread if someone has a good OP, or bump a recent one, and we have weekly threads, but this one was let go way over its' expiration days cuz folks were "at it"and it's time now to close 'er down. :)

Like I say, there can be other threads on some of the matters here made and there will be the weekly "official" thread. :0

Archived