Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles are officially in the Luck sweepstakes

brdawk20

Why not? The Eagles are 3-6 with Michael Vick, and he's missed time in most of their games. What has Vick done recently that would lead anyone to believe he's the Eagles' long term answer at QB?

They gave him a ridiculous contract. Also, prior to the season, Eagles OC Mornhinweg(sp?) was saying how Vick can be better than Steve Young. I doubt they’re going to give up on him after one year.

Nobody is going to trade for Vick considering how avarage he's been this season and also considering how much $$$ he makes ($100 million dollar contract). Philly gave him a lot of dough when they extended him ($40 million guaranteed). Unless the Eagles decide to blow the whole thing up after they fire Andy Reid, its a longshot they will invest a high pick in a QB.

BTW... they should have forced Kevin Kolb to sit tight one more season just in case. He hasn't done anything spectacular in Arizona but he had one more year left on his deal. If Philly's front office was smart they would have made sure Vick's performance last year wasn't a fluke before they shipped out kolb. They could have franchised Vick this season and waited to extend him. Yeah they might have had to franchise him a second time if he played lights out this season but so what... it beats giving $40 million dollars to someone who likes to run and thus is 1 hit away from a career ending injury at any moment.

Nobody is going to trade for Vick considering how avarage he's been this season and also considering how much $$$ he makes ($100 million dollar contract). Philly gave him a lot of dough when they extended him ($40 million guaranteed). Unless the Eagles decide to blow the whole thing up after they fire Andy Reid, its a longshot they will invest a high pick in a QB.

BTW... they should have forced Kevin Kolb to sit tight one more season just in case. He hasn't done anything spectacular in Arizona but he had one more year left on his deal. If Philly's front office was smart they would have made sure Vick's performance last year wasn't a fluke before they shipped out kolb. They could have franchised Vick this season and waited to extend him. Yeah they might have had to franchise him a second time if he played lights out this season but so what... it beats giving $40 million dollars to someone who likes to run and thus is 1 hit away from a career ending injury at any moment.

Maybe the smart thing was shipping out Kolb before it became apparent that he wasn't a better option. Arizona seems to be doing better with Kolb hurt than healthy.

The only way anyone besides the Colts end up with the #1 draft pick is if someone proves that the Colts are purposely tanking their season and they're forced to abandon their draft. We already know it's happening, we just can't prove it. It pisses me off because it's fraud involving commodities worth tens of millions of dollars.

Eagles have no shot of picking Luck, unless they trade the farm. Which, after watching Luck Saturday, I sure as hell wouldn't want them to do that. I am in the camp of picking a QB though if there is a good option at their pick. However, fully expect them to win enough to be in the 12-15 range, but enough to make the playoffs.

AR will probably survive this debacle of a season, although his own decisions put him in the pressure cooker, most notably Castillo. He has way more talent than McDermott did and is performing worse where it counts the most (protecting a lead in the 4th quarter).

Vick's $100 million contract is not a major issue if the Eagles want to cut him. He only got $10 million in bonus money and his salary is $12.5 million next year. Which basically means if they cut him, they would have alot of dead money in 2012 (probably around $7 million), but they would save ~$5 million off of the cap. Most of his contract is salary, not bonuses, which allows the eagles to cut him at almost any time. It would be easier for then to cut him after 2012, but it is certainly doable to do so prior to that season.

Vick's $100 million contract is not a major issue if the Eagles want to cut him. He only got $10 million in bonus money and his salary is $12.5 million next year. Which basically means if they cut him, they would have alot of dead money in 2012 (probably around $7 million), but they would save ~$5 million off of the cap. Most of his contract is salary, not bonuses, which allows the eagles to cut him at almost any time. It would be easier for then to cut him after 2012, but it is certainly doable to do so prior to that season.

I would not be overly disappointed if they drafted a guy and then cut Vick after 2012. Just don't see him being "the guy". Understand the Oline's struggled this season, but he has regressed horribly.

I would not be overly disappointed if they drafted a guy and then cut Vick after 2012. Just don't see him being "the guy". Understand the Oline's struggled this season, but he has regressed horribly.

Actually i was mistaken, it looks like Vicks 2012 salary is also fully guaranteed (not sure how I missed that when I first looked at the details). So cutting him before 2012 would be a very pricey option for the eagles. However after 2012, it would be very easy.

Eagles have no shot of picking Luck, unless they trade the farm. Which, after watching Luck Saturday, I sure as hell wouldn't want them to do that. I am in the camp of picking a QB though if there is a good option at their pick. However, fully expect them to win enough to be in the 12-15 range, but enough to make the playoffs.

AR will probably survive this debacle of a season, although his own decisions put him in the pressure cooker, most notably Castillo. He has way more talent than McDermott did and is performing worse where it counts the most (protecting a lead in the 4th quarter).

He had "one" bad game on the season. And they still scored 30 points on the 7th ranked team in the nation. I'd take him in a heartbeat. 70% on the season, almost 30 TDs. Shoot yeah. No...Doubt...About...It.

He had "one" bad game on the season. And they still scored 30 points on the 7th ranked team in the nation. I'd take him in a heartbeat. 70% on the season, almost 30 TDs. Shoot yeah. No...Doubt...About...It.

I know that, but my point was the Eagles, "at best", would be picking 6-10, and would have to give up an arm/leg for him, which I don't think worth it.

I know that, but my point was the Eagles, "at best", would be picking 6-10, and would have to give up an arm/leg for him, which I don't think worth it.

I was responding to the 2nd paragraph in your post. Sorry, I should have cut the 1st part out. But I agree that I don't think you'll pick in the top 3. In fact, I think you guys still win enough games that you won't be in the top 10.

A lot of people seem to be confused about this. If your team has 3 or more wins at this point, you're out of the Luck Sweepstakes. I don't see the Colts winning a game this year, and I'd be stunned if they won as many as 2.

That said, it's a lot of fun to see the Eagles at 3-6 after all the preseason Dream Team hype. It's about the only thing making this miserable season at all palatable.

Archived