Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Draft wows....

Stuckinphilly1

Before Beck was named starter I started to worry about the Brunell/Campbell issue repeating itself. Today I looked at what QB's have been drafted in the 1st round since Campbell. Those names became meaningless once I looked at the 05 draft.

Campbell was the 25th pick, Aaron Rogers the 24th.

Feel free to add another pick that might've turned out to be our franchise QB.

Here's the thing man, you can look at that and say, if only we had drafted Aaron Rodgers. It takes more than just the guy and BAM he's a great QB. It takes a good system around him, good coaches, other good players to make it all happen. The leadership in GB has been smart and stable and built a great team, that with the right guy like Rodgers, makes him incredible. IF the skins had somehow nabbed Rodgers he would have been in an unstable leadership situation with poor decision makers around him and an ineffective team. I really don't think there would have been any difference in the results except for a game here or there.

With a competent FO and no Vinny for the last 8+ previous years who knows where we would be. But this is like saying that your throwing in the towel after Tom Brady was drafted in the 5th round and we didnt pull the trigger and get him. 31 other teams are kicking themselves in the rear for not seeing the magic in him and in all honesty the Patriots got lucky as hell with with that.I dont think anyone evaluated him to be the Brady that we know. Just shows how hard it really is to evaluate the QB. Add in to that, that Rodgers learned behind Favre in the same offense. He was ready and for the most part,the pieces were in place. Had he come here,when Jason did, i dont think it would be the Aaron we all see now.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, I was trying to show another snake-bite we've had at QB... Rogers was taken one place ahead of Campbell. That was also when they did have most of the pieces together. They made the playoffs with Campbell on the bench. This wasn't meant to be a very serious thread, dissecting every aspect of it.

Before Beck was named starter I started to worry about the Brunell/Campbell issue repeating itself. Today I looked at what QB's have been drafted in the 1st round since Campbell. Those names became meaningless once I looked at the 05 draft.

Campbell was the 25th pick, Aaron Rogers the 24th.

Feels like we missed Rodgers by one pick doesn't it? Sadly not true. We drafted Carlos Rogers 9th overall.... we passed on Aaron Rodgers, then missed him by one pick.

Why didn't we draft Tom Brady in the 5th round in 2000! God, this team is so stupid! Everyone knew he would be a hall of famer! We just can't draft our GM is stupid fire Shanahan and Allen!

Hindsight is a funny thing.

It becomes less funny when a pattern shows that it's less hindsight amd more persistent incompetence. Aaron Rodgers is hardly the first QB we've missed in the draft. We've missed them everywhere. Traded for Brunell and McNabb. Signed a mob of terrblr free agent QBs... Didnt even make Drew Brees an offer and let Trent Green walk.

But yeah hindsight.... I guess every team in the NFL that has a good QB is just lucky and the dolphins and us are just unlucky. Right?

Guarantee if Aaron Rodgers came to the skins and JC went to the Packers...their fortunes would have be reversed.

I've always wondered what would have happened if Rodgers had made it past the Packers and we were sitting there with both him and Campbell on the board. As I remember it, the whole point of trading up was to get Campbell. Gibbs was in love with him and wanted him. Would he have then passed to take Rodgers instead?

I've always wondered what would have happened if Rodgers had made it past the Packers and we were sitting there with both him and Campbell on the board. As I remember it, the whole point of trading up was to get Campbell. Gibbs was in love with him and wanted him. Would he have then passed to take Rodgers instead?

Jason certainly is physically more of the "classic" Gibbs 1 mold of QB. But who knows if they would have passed on Rodgers. I will say that I am glad Miami took Dan Marino at 27 before he dropped to us at 28 in 1983. I'm pretty sure, thanks to the drug rumors about Marino coupled with the looming scandal involving Tony Peters that the Skins would have passed on him and we would really be kicking ourselves.

I agree what has been said though regarding Rodgers and him being able to digest the same offense his entire career. I think we still would have had the coaching and offensive turnover between 2005 and 2010 and that would have hurt anyone's development. It hurt Jason and it would have hurt Rodgers.

Well if the Skins weren't set at QB at the time then they would have drafted Dan Marino. Of course we drafted Green and the rest was history.

Btw, why did we need a new thread? :whoknows:

Guarantee if Aaron Rodgers came to the skins and JC went to the Packers...their fortunes would have be reversed.

LOL so you think JC would be a superbowl MVP and the current front runner for 2011 MVP? Not a chance. Talent is talent, and the cream rises to the top. I'm sure JC would have been in a much better situation in GB, but to "gurantee" he'd have the same success Rodgers is enjoying is delusional.

The OP has the name "StuckinPhilly" with his location at the linc seats 5 & 6. Hmmmm...........
yeah, I'm a Skins fan stuck in Philly and their dumbass fans. I know Beck wasn't a draft choice but the Grossman/Beck ordeal reminded me of Campbell and the thought of who we passed over thinking JC was the future.

Archived