Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins have agreed to terms with WR David Anderson

Daaskins

Unless he turns into be a starter 2 years down the road.

I wonder how often that has happened? I would guess not often. How many of the players signed off of our PS the past few years have become starters in the NFL? Devin Aromashodu is probably the closest, but he's had 6 starts in 3 years since he was signed off of our PS, and he's not even playing for the team that signed him.

Unless he turns into be a starter 2 years down the road.

*snort*

Okay, so you're saying none of the depth linemen we currently have came become starters? That taking someone else's practice squad player is better than drafting and developing our own?

I don't know if you noticed, but we started our OWN former practice squad player this week. Four of our eight offensive linemen (five if you count Kory) were drafted by this team, and the only one of those guys who hasn't seen time on the field yet is Willie Smith. And those guys are infinitely more likely to become starters down the line than anyone we pick from someone else's practice squad.

And those guys are infinitely more likely to become starters down the line than anyone we pick from someone else's practice squad.

Why?

From a probability stand point, I'm trying to think what that means. Is Mike Shananhan infinitely better at judging offensive line talent than every other organization in the league?

Why?

From a probability stand point, I'm trying to think what that means. Is Mike Shananhan infinitely better at judging offensive line talent than every other organization in the league?

No, because they're already on the team and learning.

You're saying we should pick up a practice squad guy, drop him on our active roster, and then wait around for a while and hope he develops. I'm saying we're drafting our own players and helping the, get better. Adding another team's practice squad does nothing, and we do need someone who can play teams, and linemen usually don't play teams. We might be thin on the offensive line, but adding another guy from a practice swuad and "getting a starter 2 years down the line" doesn't help us when we're already drafting, signing and developing our own linemen.

I wonder how often that has happened? I would guess not often. How many of the players signed off of our PS the past few years have become starters in the NFL? Devin Aromashodu is probably the closest, but he's had 6 starts in 3 years since he was signed off of our PS, and he's not even playing for the team that signed him.

Arian Foster was on the Texans practice squad until mid-Nov his rookie year. Fred Jackson spent most of a season on a practice squad w/ the Bills. James Harrison bounced around on the practice squad.

You can't find them, if you don't look.

And I'll tell you I think we have enough veteran recievers and even our rookies now have been here long enough that they should know what they are doing for the most part. It isn't like we are talking about cutting Stallworth, Gaffney, Moss, or Armstrong. Our number of vetern receivers hasn't really changed (yeah, we've loss Moss for now, but he's still on the team and Amstrong came back from his injury), and at this point in time, even Hankerson should have the offense down for the most part.

Actually, we don't know who is getting cut as of yet. To be honest, there is no benefit in cutting any of the vets right now, because their salary is guaranteed for the season. The only reason to cut a veteran would be if we needed their roster spot. (Which, in the case of Stallworth, wouldn't be beyond imagination.)

As I said before, Moss and Paul are out now, Armstrong has been struggling hard and is in the doghouse, and Stallworth has done very little. That leaves you with Gaffney, Hankerson and Austin.

Even more generally, I'd rather have a guy out there that might be making an impact on this team in 3 years and running the wrong routes NOW, then a guy that can run the right routes NOW, but probably won't be making an impact on this team in 3 years.

Fact is, a guy off the street isn't likely to see much playing time since there is the time needed to get up to speed and that likely isn't going to happen during the season. The only young receiver who isn't on the roster who would have a chance to see some action is Robinson, and he's probably better off staying on the PS as long as possible. In fact, you are more likely to see that type of player on the PS for that reason. The guys you will find signed to the regular roster are usually guys who aren't eligible for the PS.

No, because they're already on the team and learning.

You're saying we should pick up a practice squad guy, drop him on our active roster, and then wait around for a while and hope he develops. I'm saying we're drafting our own players and helping the, get better. Adding another team's practice squad does nothing, and we do need someone who can play teams, and linemen usually don't play teams. We might be thin on the offensive line, but adding another guy from a practice swuad and "getting a starter 2 years down the line" doesn't help us when we're already drafting, signing and developing our own linemen.

Well, I'm not talking about specifically teams. You asked what good it does, I told you. If you want to argue that OL is the wrong position to bring in that's fine.

Would the coaches ignore a guy that you brought off another team's practice squad? Would they not be able to coach them? Do you really think we have enough good offensive lineman right now on the roster? Couldn't afford somebody that might be better?

Arian Foster was on the Texans practice squad until mid-Nov his rookie year. Fred Jackson spent most of a season on a practice squad w/ the Bills. James Harrison bounced around on the practice squad.

The Houston Texans originally signed Foster. He wasn't plucked from someone else's practice squad. The same thing for Fred Jackson and James Harrison.

You're arguing that we should sign another teams practice squad players by using examples of a team signing their OWN practice squad players.

The Houston Texans originally signed Foster. He wasn't plucked from someone else's practice squad. The same thing for Fred Jackson and James Harrison.

You're arguing that we should sign another teams practice squad players by using examples of a team signing their OWN practice squad players.

So?

You don't think James Harrison, Arian Foster, and Fred Jackson aren't generally good football players?

Is there some secret mechanism that dooms a player to failing if you bring them in from somebody else's practice squad that I'm not aware of?

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 11:41 AM ----------

The only reason to cut a veteran would be if we needed their roster spot. (Which, in the case of Stallworth, wouldn't be beyond imagination.)

As I said before, Moss and Paul are out now, Armstrong has been struggling hard and is in the doghouse, and Stallworth has done very little. That leaves you with Gaffney, Hankerson and Austin.

Or if you want to bring in somebody else that long term might be better and actually try and improve the team for the long term.

Stallworth and Armstrong can play if you need them too.

So?

You don't think James Harrison, Arian Foster, and Fred Jackson aren't generally good football players?

Is there some secret mechanism that dooms a player to failing if you bring them in from somebody else's practice squad that I'm not aware of?

Can you name me any players who were above average players after being signed from another team's practice squad to the active roster in the middle of the season? Or guys signed from other team's practice squad in the middle of the season who went on to contribute for many years?

Go ahead and look. I'll wait.

And all of those players are playing for the teams that discovered them. Try again.

Can you name me any players who were above average players after being signed from another team's practice squad to the active roster in the middle of the season? Or guys signed from other team's practice squad in the middle of the season who went on to contribute for many years?

Go ahead and look. I'll wait.

Donald Penn is a starting OL for the Bucs. Was signed off the Vikings practice squad in Oct.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/tampa-bay-buccaneers-donald-penn-will-be-charged-with-slowing-minnesota/1191558

If a guy is a good player, does it really matter how he got on your roster?

@Rich_Tandler: Report: Redskins release Stallworth to make room for Anderson

I dont see how anyone could complain about this move now. Stallworth was a complete waste. Anderson might be too, but at this point it looks like the best move we could make to help out the WRs.

And all of those players are playing for the teams that discovered them. Try again.

Again, why does it matter? Are the coaches going to refuse to coach a guy because he came from another teams practice squad?

If we went out and signed the equivalent of Arian Foster, is there some reason why he'd HAVE TO BE a failure here?

I dont see how anyone could complain about this move now. Stallworth was a complete waste. Anderson might be too, but at this point it looks like the best move we could make to help out the WRs.

I don't know why folks are complaining about a useless player. Its not like he was signed to be groomed as the #1 WR going into next season.

yeah cuz losing that fumble makes a good impression on the coaches. maybe hes only been targeted 19 times cuz he cant get open. hankerson was given a shot and he took advantage of it. austin was given a shot and he choked.

one of your strong suits seems to be ur an a**hole who criticizes every poster because you think you know everything. go work for the nfl.

:ols:

well, I see Jumbo has struck first.

Seriously, though Jumbo. I don't mind the violations of the rules towards me, but there has to be a rule for just plain being a dumbass.

I'm going to coin a term for these types.

Vinny Ninnies.

The more I read this board as this rebuild goes along, the more I'm convinced that bug-eyed idiot did more than ruin our team,, he ruined our fanbase as well by making a generation of impatient, instant gratification band-aid junkies.

~Bang

Again, why does it matter? Are the coaches going to refuse to coach a guy because he came from another teams practice squad?

If we went out and signed the equivalent of Arian Foster, is there some reason why he'd HAVE TO BE a failure here?

Well it seems obvious they didn't see a guy like that out there. They needed a receiver that played special teams, not a linemen who didn't. You don't just luck into guys like Donald Penn all the time. And didn't we try and sign Jonathan Compas off the Pats practice squad earlier this year?

Archived