Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins have agreed to terms with WR David Anderson

Daaskins

Generally, I'd like to see us bringing in some people from other people's practice squads or elsewhere that are younger (than this guy or Choice) and have had even less chance of proving themselves in hopes of getting lucky.

Domonique Johnson was just signed of the Vikings practice squad.

Doug Worthington was signed off the Bucs practice squad.

Eric Olsen was signed off the Broncos practice squad.

Chris Baker was signed off the Dolphins practice squad.

We are making these moves. Calm down.

Domonique Johnson was just signed of the Vikings practice squad.

Doug Worthington was signed off the Bucs practice squad.

Eric Olsen was signed off the Broncos practice squad.

Chris Baker was signed off the Dolphins practice squad.

We are making these moves. Calm down.

All of these guys, except for Johnson, are on OUR practice squad. Did we actually sign them off of any other teams practice squad, or did the team waive them, they then cleared waivers (meaning nobody thought they were good enough for an NFL roster) and then we brought there here for our practice squad?

Did the team that let them go even try and sign the their practice squad?

Yes, we have practice squad. Even teams that have managed to be bad for a long time have had a practice squad.

Johnson is in his 3rd year in the league and been associated with 4 different teams. I tend to think the more teams that pass on a player means it is less likely that he'll ever be good.

All of these guys, except for Johnson, are on OUR practice squad. Did we actually sign them off of any other teams practice squad, or did the team waive them, they then cleared waivers (meaning nobody thought they were good enough for an NFL roster) and then we brought there here for our practice squad?

Worthington and Baker were signing directly from other teams PS in the offseason when rosters were expanded, then demoted later.

I'm glad to know that any player who clears waivers is no good though, considering whenever a player is demoted to the practice squad, he has to clear waivers.

Did the team that let them go even try and sign the their practice squad?

Olsen was signed after the Broncos waived him from their roster in Sept at final cuts. We have no way of knowing if the Broncos would have signed him back to the PS as we claimed him.

(similar situation to when the Titans waived Legarrette Blount, with the now stated hope they could resign him to the PS, but the Bucs swooped in and signed him to their 53)

I think it is wise to monitor the PS rosters looking for players who can help your team. And for the most part, I think we are doing a good job of it. I don't think, however, that every addition we make needs to be in the form of a practice squad player.

You make it sound like starters are found every day off of other teams practice squads. This the the extreme exception. Tramon Williams is a rare occurance, usually it is players who are promoted internally who become contributors, and only because of their unique fit and the teams better understanding about the player.

Furthermore, who is the active players on this team that you are prepared to cut and expose to the wavier wire. We certainly don't want to lose any of our developmental guys we currently have on the roster. I can't ID one guy right now (now that Stallworth is gone) that we can cut. Before Cooley's injury I would have said Sellers, but now he's our 3rd TE.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you exactly understand what a PS is about. It isn't the eight best players that didn't make the 53, its the eight players that allow a team to have the numbers to run full practices - why you see a OL or two on every squad (so a team can have 10) and lots of WRs and DBs (for versitility in filling out rosters). Lots of time PS guys are nothing more than bodies for, get this, practice.

We can play this game all day, about how we should have signed this or that diamond off X team's practice squad, and it will be equally as stupid as playing the "I can't believe we didn't draft XXX 7th round sleeper" nonsense.

If you don't think we are looking at other team practice squads, you are foolish. However, feel free to knock yourself out predicting the next Donald Penn. Be careful though, most of these players have already had to clear waivers once in their NFL career (meaning nobody thought they were good enough for an NFL roster).

88 Kamar Aiken WR

97 Lionel Dotson DE

69 Michael Jasper OT

46 Doyle Miller CB

47 Joshua Nesbitt FS

93 Jay Ross NT

68 Keith Williams G

90 Isaako Aaitui NT

17 Patrick Carter WR

9 Pat Devlin QB

69 Ray Feinga G

41 Brandon King CB

38 Richard Medlin RB

40 Anderson Russell SS

49 Markell Carter DE

68 Matt Kopa OT

65 Nick McDonald G/C

45 Garrett Mills TE

29 Sterling Moore CB

69 Alex Silvestro DE

41 Malcolm Williams CB

84 Michael Campbell WR

71 Jarron Gilbert DE/TE

66 Matt Kroul G

76 Dennis Landolt G

15 Scotty McKnight WR (Injured)

32 Julian Posey CB

92 Ricky Sapp OLB/DE

85 Jamarko Simmons TE

37 Tracy Wilson FS

30 Damien Berry RB

67 Justin Boren G/C

10 Rodney Bradley WR

68 Bryan Hall NT/DE

60 Austin Howard OT

71 D. J. Jones OT

38 Ryan Mahaffey FB

85 Armon Binns WR

80 Chase Coffman TE

35 James Develin FB

41 DeQuin Evans MLB

21 Brandon Ghee CB

60 Otis Hudson G

76 Matt O'Donnell OT

5 Zac Robinson QB

78 Dominic Alford G/T

54 Ben Jacobs OLB

70 Brian Sanford DE

74 Jarrod Shaw G

35 Armond Smith RB

67 Kiante Tripp DT

-- Eddie Williams FB

13 Rod Windsor WR

95 Corbin Bryant DE

38 John Clay RB

42 Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith SS

19 Tyler Grisham WR

45 Jamie McCoy TE/FB

14 Jamar Newsome WR

71 Chris Scott OT

67 Trevis Turner OT

63 Howard Barbieri G

19 Dominique Edison WR (Injured)

53 Thaddeus Gibson ILB

16 Trindon Holliday WR

15 Jeff Maehl WR

97 Derrell Smith ILB

79 Cody Wallace C

40 Javarris Williams RB

42 Torri Williams SS

86 Dedrick Epps TE

32 Darren Evans RB

20 Mike Holmes CB

-- Dan LeFevour QB

60 Matt Murphy G/T

64 Ollie Ogbu DT

10 Jeremy Ross WR

-- Fui Vakapuna FB

76 Daniel Baldridge OT

-- George Bussey G/T

41 Matt Estrada SS

58 Stephen Franklin OLB

40 DuJuan Harris RB

95 Corvey Irvin DT

31 Talmadge Jackson CB

-- Schuylar Oordt TE

36 Herb Donaldson RB

77 Ryan Durand G

79 Pannel Egboh DE

80 Cameron Graham TE

32 Robert Johnson FS

19 James Kirkendoll WR

70 Troy Kropog OT

14 Michael Preston WR

97 Jeremy Beal DE

16 D'Andre Goodwin WR

67 Adam Grant OT

37 Jeremiah Johnson RB

34 Kyle McCarthy SS

53 Mike Mohamed MLB

93 Sealver Siliga DT

2 Adam Weber QB

40 Shane Bannon FB (Injured)

57 Justin Cole ILB

32 Shaun Draughn RB

66 Darryl Harris G

11 Jeremy Horne WR

31 Quinten Lawrence CB

70 David Mims OT

-- Luke Patterson DE/OT

98 Anthony Toribio NT

30 Jerome Boyd SS/OLB

88 Kevin Brock TE

95 Mason Brodine DE

73 Jamie Cumbie DT

70 Zach Hurd G

53 Jeremy Leman MLB

16 Eddie McGee WR/QB

65 Alex Parsons G

64 Colin Baxter C

77 Charlie Bryant NT

37 Traye Simmons CB

34 Frank Summers FB

46 Brad Taylor TE

40 Jordan Todman RB

8 Drew Willy QB

72 Eric Young OT

31 Mario Butler CB

72 Robert Callaway NT/DE

45 Shaun Chapas FB

17 Dwayne Harris WR

15 Andre Holmes WR

58 Orie Lemon ILB

11 Akwasi Owusu-Ansah WR/FS

10 Teddy Williams WR

41 Brandon Bing CB

35 Andre Brown RB

60 Selvish Capers OT

49 Alex Daniels FB

19 Dan DePalma WR

48 Christian Hopkins TE

-- Craig Marshall DE

98 Adrian Tracy OLB

69 Justin Trattou DE

-- Brett Brackett TE

16 Chad Hall WR

39 Stanley Havili FB

80 Ronald Johnson WR

96 Greg Lloyd MLB

66 Dallas Reynolds G/C

52 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim DE

72 Cedric Thornton DT

25 Armando Allen RB

64 Ricky Henry G

79 Levi Horn G/T

83 Max Komar WR

76 Jordan Miller DT

85 Andre Smith TE

59 Patrick Trahan OLB

36 Winston Venable FS

41 James Davis RB (Injured)

64 Dan Gerberry C

86 Nate Hughes WR

49 Aaron Lavarias OLB

63 Jacques McClendon C/G

69 Kyle Moore DE

46 Nathan Overbay TE

39 Ricardo Silva SS

-- Terrence Toliver WR

19 Diondre Borel WR

69 Chris Campbell OT

65 Sampson Genus C

86 Tori Gurley WR

6 Graham Harrell QB

67 Johnny Jones NT/DE

34 Anthony Levine FS

39 Brandian Ross CB

16 Emmanuel Arceneaux WR

72 Chris DeGeare G

38 Caleb King RB

68 Butch Lewis G

59 Tyrone McKenzie LB

89 Allen Reisner TE

15 Kerry Taylor WR

85 Marquez Branson TE (Injured)

12 Kevin Cone WR

19 Drew Davis WR

86 Tommy Gallarda TE

69 Andrew Jackson G

51 Robert James OLB

41 Suaesi Tuimaunei FS

65 Jose Valdez OT

4 John Parker Wilson QB

86 Darvin Adams WR

60 Bryant Browning T/G

62 Jeff Byers C

-- Phillip Dillard MLB

-- Jason Shirley DT

85 Greg Smith TE

32 Josh Vaughan RB

42 Kion Wilson MLB

20 Joique Bell RB

59 Nate Bussey OLB

4 Sean Canfield QB

81 Michael Higgins TE

75 Mitch King DT

30 Terrail Lambert CB

70 William Robinson OT

72 Fenuki Tupou G

43 Ahmad Black FS

12 Rudy Carpenter QB

45 Matt Clapp FB

85 Collin Franklin TE

15 Ed Gant WR

-- Nic Grigsby RB

-- Swanson Miller DT

66 Chris Riley OT

62 Ryan Bartholomew C

30 Marshay Green CB

83 Jaymar Johnson WR

32 Korey Lindsey CB

54 Quan Sturdivant ILB

96 Ronald Talley DE

80 Isaiah Williams WR

67 D. J. Young OT

61 Tim Barnes C

-- David Gilreath WR

41 Benjamin Guidugli TE/FB

66 John Henderson DT

70 Kevin Hughes G

58 Scott Lutrus OLB

68 Ryan McKee OT

30 Nate Ness CB

61 Chase Beeler C

71 Derek Hall OT

13 Joe Hastings WR

28 Ian Johnson RB

83 John Matthews WR

23 Cory Nelms CB

88 Konrad Reuland TE

50 Monte Simmons OLB

22 Allen Bradford RB

66 Paul Fanaika G

83 Ricardo Lockette WR

48 Michael Morgan MLB

82 John Nalbone TE

62 Brent Osborne G

47 Vai Taua RB

You would think we call a ton of 5 wide. I am not sure if its me or not, but I get the sense Austin is falling out of favor. Not sure he was ever in favor, but it seems Hank and Paul passed him on the depth chart. Its all about practice in Shannytown. Armstrong hasnt done squat this year, what a disaster his season is turning into.

Worthington and Baker were signing directly from other teams PS in the offseason when rosters were expanded, then demoted later.

I'm glad to know that any player who clears waivers is no good though, considering whenever a player is demoted to the practice squad, he has to clear waivers.

Olsen was signed after the Broncos waived him from their roster in Sept at final cuts. We have no way of knowing if the Broncos would have signed him back to the PS as we claimed him.

(similar situation to when the Titans waived Legarrette Blount, with the now stated hope they could resign him to the PS, but the Bucs swooped in and signed him to their 53)

I think it is wise to monitor the PS rosters looking for players who can help your team. And for the most part, I think we are doing a good job of it. I don't think, however, that every addition we make needs to be in the form of a practice squad player.

You make it sound like starters are found every day off of other teams practice squads. This the the extreme exception. Tramon Williams is a rare occurance, usually it is players who are promoted internally who become contributors, and only because of their unique fit and the teams better understanding about the player.

Furthermore, who is the active players on this team that you are prepared to cut and expose to the wavier wire. We certainly don't want to lose any of our developmental guys we currently have on the roster. I can't ID one guy right now (now that Stallworth is gone) that we can cut. Before Cooley's injury I would have said Sellers, but now he's our 3rd TE.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you exactly understand what a PS is about. It isn't the eight best players that didn't make the 53, its the eight players that allow a team to have the numbers to run full practices - why you see a OL or two on every squad (so a team can have 10) and lots of WRs and DBs (for versitility in filling out rosters). Lots of time PS guys are nothing more than bodies for, get this, practice.

We can play this game all day, about how we should have signed this or that diamond off X team's practice squad, and it will be equally as stupid as playing the "I can't believe we didn't draft XXX 7th round sleeper" nonsense.

If you don't think we are looking at other team practice squads, you are foolish. However, feel free to knock yourself out predicting the next Donald Penn. Be careful though, most of these players have already had to clear waivers once in their NFL career (meaning nobody thought they were good enough for an NFL roster).

1. I've repeatedly said it is a low probability event.

2. I'm not saying we should have signed player X. I'm not even saying that we should or should not sign any given player, including Anderson because I don't really know (Choice would be the player I'd say where I know the most because I've seen him play a good bit, and I'll say I really don't like the move), and I've said that. BUT these certainly seem to be more of the guy fits the scheme and so can help NOW, but have lower long term potential (especially Anderson). And I haven't seen anybody claim otherwise (especially with respect to Anderson (NOBODY is arguing that Anderson is a good signing because he has real long term potential. Several people are arguing that he was a good signing because he knows the scheme and can be brought up to speed quickly even though they also say he's "just a body" that is here in case of an emergency.))

3. I would have freed up 3 roster spots. Two them have been freed up (Buchanon and Stallworth, but would have likely gone to other players). The third would be Sellers. I love Sellers and have been a big supporter of his through the years, but this team isn't in a position to be carrying a 10+ year vet as a backup FB/TE. You make a backup OL your 3rd TE (or somebody ELSE). I'd fill one of the spots with a QB (not Clemens unless the coaching staff REALLY believes in him, and I don't see how they can do that when they cut him to keep Beck and Grossman), and unless I was just COMPLETELY wrong on the QB in a few weeks (to give the guy a chance to learn the offense a LITTLE bit), I'd cut Beck or Grossman. The guy I had signed would play in case of an in game injury, and then I'd figure Beck or Grossman aren't going anywhere if I cut them so I could go back and sign the one I cut if there looked like there were issues going into the future with respect to the injury of the "starter". That would give me a 4th roster spot.

4. At some point in time, having too many new/young people are going to overwhelm the coaching staff and cause "significant" issues with the team in terms of performance. BUT if the team/coaching staff could handle it, I could see making another move or so. Alexander, another player I've really like through the years, would probably be next, unless there is some sort of longer term plan for him (any chance he could play MLB in a 3-4?). It also depends on the guys I signed. If one of them was able to step right in and contribute immediately in a real positive manner, then that might allow for more moves to be made.

5. I completely understand what the PS is. That's why I'm talking about moves to the ACTIVE roster. There might (should be?) guys out there that can be good players that you can't have on your PS because it doesn't make sense in terms of fielding a practice team.

6. I'm not an NFL talent evaluator. That's not my job. HOPEFULLY, the Redskins employee a few people who do claim that is their job and that they are actually good at it.

3. I would have freed up 3 roster spots. Two them have been freed up (Buchanon and Stallworth, but would have likely gone to other players). The third would be Sellers. I love Sellers and have been a big supporter of his through the years, but this team isn't in a position to be carrying a 10+ year vet as a backup FB/TE. You make a backup OL your 3rd TE (or somebody ELSE). I'd fill one of the spots with a QB (not Clemens unless the coaching staff REALLY believes in him, and I don't see how they can do that when they cut him to keep Beck and Grossman), and unless I was just COMPLETELY wrong on the QB in a few weeks (to give the guy a chance to learn the offense a LITTLE bit), I'd cut Beck or Grossman. The guy I had signed would play in case of an in game injury, and then I'd figure Beck or Grossman aren't going anywhere if I cut them so I could go back and sign the one I cut if there looked like there were issues going into the future with respect to the injury of the "starter". That would give me a 4th roster spot.

Did you know we do have a 3rd QB on the PS? I actually didn't know until I looked at Redskins.com that Jonathan Crompton was on there.

As for cutting Sellers, that made more sense when Cooley was still on the active roster. Now that he's not, he's needed to make sure we have enough people to run the offense. (and no, an OL wouldn't be a good replacement if either Davis or Palsen goes down.)

In any case, cutting players only makes sense if you have players you like to replace them.

Did you know we do have a 3rd QB on the PS? I actually didn't know until I looked at Redskins.com that Jonathan Crompton was on there.

As for cutting Sellers, that made more sense when Cooley was still on the active roster. Now that he's not, he's needed to make sure we have enough people to run the offense. (and no, an OL wouldn't be a good replacement if either Davis or Palsen goes down.)

In any case, cutting players only makes sense if you have players you like to replace them.

Yes, I knew that. More bodies means a greater chance of finding the right guy. Unless they really like Crompton, in which case they should get him off the practice squad and onto the active roster so somebody else doesn't snatch him up.

We need to have enough people to run the offense, but I don't really care if the replacement is "good". Let's face it, if Sellers was "good", he'd be playing. My criteria is the replacement is not likely to significantly contribute to the real (W or L) result of the game in a negative manner (i.e. we would have won the game if not for the play of the replacement). Considering the replacement isn't even going to play unless there is an injury and no matter what we are subing an in inferior talent (If Sellers were "good", he'd be starting or would have been traded) on an already bad team, I think the it isn't very significantly likely.

Yes, there might be an injury, and yes, we might lose the game, and yes the replacement might not play well in the loss, but the odds of an injury happening and the replacement playing that much worse than Sellers that it really causes us to lose the game are small enough IMO.

Yes, I knew that. More bodies means a greater chance of finding the right guy. Unless they really like Crompton, in which case they should get him off the practice squad and onto the active roster so somebody else doesn't snatch him up.

We need to have enough people to run the offense, but I don't really care if the replacement is "good". Let's face it, if Sellers was "good", he'd be playing. My criteria is the replacement is likely to significantly contribute to the real (W or L) result of the game. Considering the replacement isn't even going to play unless there is an injury and no matter what we are subing an in inferior talent (If Sellers were "good", he'd be starting or would have been traded) on an already bad team, I think the it isn't very significantly likely.

Yes, there might be an injury, and yes, we might lose the game, and yes the replacement might not play well in the loss, but the odds of an injury happening and the replacement playing that much worse than Sellers that it really causes us to lose the game are small enough IMO.

Somehow, I doubt there is THAT much interest in a former 5th round pick that is now on his 4th team for someone to sign him to the regular roster.

As for the rest, it has less to do with "good" and more to do with being able to play the role in the offense, which has less to do with talent and more to do with knowledge. To do a proper evaluation of the roster, it helps if everyone knows what they are doing out there. That's the pattern you see right now. The players are prepared to go out on the field and play their role. Personally, I don't really get what you have against Sellers on the roster, when really the alternative is a guy who couldn't make an NFL team. It certainly isn't the argument that he's taking snaps from another player.

It is funny that the team is picking up players off of the scrap heap, but you aren't liking any of the moves. Maybe that's because the players you keep thinking are out there don't really exist for our team. We went through this whole thing last year too, and the vast majority of players we picked up midseason didn't stick. That's because the vast majority of players out there right now are trash, not wanted by most NFL teams for one reason or another. The PS is only one step above that, guys who wouldn't be on a roster if it weren't for the fact that the PS existed.

Sometimes, you just need to accept that there isn't much that can be done with the team roster-wise until the offseason. We have what we have.

Somehow, I doubt there is THAT much interest in a former 5th round pick that is now on his 4th team for someone to sign him to the regular roster.

As for the rest, it has less to do with "good" and more to do with being able to play the role in the offense, which has less to do with talent and more to do with knowledge. To do a proper evaluation of the roster, it helps if everyone knows what they are doing out there. That's the pattern you see right now. The players are prepared to go out on the field and play their role. Personally, I don't really get what you have against Sellers on the roster, when really the alternative is a guy who couldn't make an NFL team. It certainly isn't the argument that he's taking snaps from another player.

It is funny that the team is picking up players off of the scrap heap, but you aren't liking any of the moves. Maybe that's because the players you keep thinking are out there don't really exist for our team. We went through this whole thing last year too, and the vast majority of players we picked up midseason didn't stick. That's because the vast majority of players out there right now are trash, not wanted by most NFL teams for one reason or another. The PS is only one step above that, guys who wouldn't be on a roster if it weren't for the fact that the PS existed.

Sometimes, you just need to accept that there isn't much that can be done with the team roster-wise until the offseason. We have what we have.

I doubt it too. I also didn't say you HAD to move him to the active roster. Doing so wouldn't be my first choice, but if they really like him, they should.

1. We're talking about guys that aren't likely to play. Sellers isn't affecting anybody's on the field evalution much because he doesn't play much.

2. He's taking a roster spot from somebody that potentially can contribute to this team when it is actually ready to compete (and I've defended Sellers in the past. Go back and find the thread dealing w/ when he "fell down" and Portis didn't score the TD on that long run. I like Sellers. When I was thinking about who should cut from this team and I first thought of Sellers, my first thought was, no, you can't cut Sellers. But then I asked myself why can't you cut Sellers? And I came up w/ nothing. A veteran backup FB, 3rd string TE is not a luxury a team that needs a to seriously rebuild its offense can afford.)

And yeah the guy you get might not be any better, BUT he might be and IF he is that could go along way in rebuilding this team.

The odds aren't great, but when my other option is losing enough games to not really be a competing team NOW AND keeping people around that won't be contributing to the team in a couple of years when it MIGHT be good enough to compete (and aren't really contributing much NOW (like Sellers, who doesn't play much), I'll take those odds.

Archived