Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Out of our depth

Burgold

It seems the Redskins problem is very simple. We're out of our depth. Some of it we knew going in. We had two back up qbs and no starters. That's bad depth. We kept 0 reserve guards. That's bad depth. The playcalling...? 'nuff said.

We knew coming in that we were a thin team. We had a very nice draft. Jenkins and Kerrigan were great pick ups. Helu seems to be a contributer. In preseason, Gomes, and Paul had a knack for making plays and Hankerson seemed to have a knack for getting open.

However, on the offensive line and at qb, we were going short handed and we knew that. We were hoping that no one would get hurt and everyone would outperform their history. Worse, we decided to keep a 36 year old FB/TE who can't stay healthy or sniff the field and a perenial old vet disappointment at WR who isn't contributing.

I know I'm not the only one who when looking at our roster after preseason thought that we were going to grab some guys off the waiver wire. The balance and depth of this team was never right. Too many receivers, not enough line, not enough db esp. with the injury/suspension problems we were dealing with at corner and safety.

At this point in the season, these problems probably can't be resolved... fixed, but they were so forseeable. In fact, many of us did forsee it. I think some were blinded by the fixation on QB, but the real problem is that we were and chose to be out of our depth.

The anwsers to all the problems will still be the same. We need to build up throught the draft. 2012 will be the biggest off season in many years for this franchise. Was just listening to the Monday Morning QB show and they made a solid point. 2012 we're going to have all of our draft picks plus 3 more from other teams. Also we're going to be so low on the salary cap that we'll have money to blow out of our ass on signings. Also, if we don't resign Landry, well....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$+draft picks= Good things.

Nah, I think it's six of one, half dozen of the other. If your running back can't run and your qb gets sacked nine times, then the line is an equal problem. I've seen Brady and Peyton have bad line games and their play suddenly drops to Grossman levels. No QB can suceed without a good or at least average line. That's not saying qb isn't a problem, but our lack of starting and back up depth is at least an equal problem.

No, we don't have any problem.

We are who every fan who watches football thought we were. A below average team that is short on talent. A team that is rebuilding. A team just started to rebuild. A team that is still an offseason away from gutting age, and injecting youth. A team still on the older end of the spectrum. A team, who most people that follow football agreed, went into the season with the worst quarterback situation in the league. A team that did relatively nothing to fix a bad offensive line.

I mean we are who we thought we were.

I can understand all of the hype in previous years, but most knew this year was a bust.

Why is this suddenly a shocker.

Nah, I think it's six of one, half dozen of the other. If your running back can't run and your qb gets sacked nine times, then the line is an equal problem. I've seen Brady and Peyton have bad line games and their play suddenly drops to Grossman levels. No QB can suceed without a good or at least average line. That's not saying qb isn't a problem, but our lack of starting and back up depth is at least an equal problem.

This.

Also, I know this drum has been beaten, but I swear Kyle can't call an offense. This dude is in over his head. He needs to step it up.

Brown looked like he'd never played the position before. He was being flat-out schooled and outplayed. The oline is surely showing the effects of this injury bug bite, but I doubt anyone expected to see the performance, or lack of, that we did yesterday.

Knowing depth is a glaring issue, how can it be addressed? Well, better question, how many years will it take to solidify depth at the line?

This is a problem, but it can be eased somewhat by adjusting plays and designing plays to get the ball out of the qb's hands faster. Its a quick-fix until the line issue can be dealt with.

But the rest of the team, there needs to be fundamental changes which are permanent. Injury bugs seem to be biting the same people year after year, and last time I looked, we still have cheerleaders on the sidelines, so no more is needed.

Cleaning house, again, seems to be the only way to address this problem, which will promote another depth problem most likely, but what do ya do?

That's not a problem? That's a big problem!

Well it's a problem if it caught anyone off guard.

We knew we had no depth to start the season.

Most of us knew we weren't going to win a lot of games.

So yeah we are out of our depth, but we weren't that good to start with. And we knew that before the season started.

So we are where most of us thought we would be.

So what is the problem?

We stunk getting to 3-1 and kept getting worse.

We are who I thought we would be. A team in year 1 of a rebuild. A team that can't be what it wants to be for 2 more years.

I don't know if Shanny has lost his ability to coach O line, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize you don't roll into the season with only three depth linemen while turds like Dante Stallworth are wasting roster spots. Despite that, though, Beck still ain't no NFL QB.

We aren't out of our depth at receiver ;) We kept 7 guys who couldn't catch. EVERYONE knew going in this was a problem.

We are who we thought we were going to be.

Maybe we are out of our minds for forgetting where we came from :)

We spent our first two picks on defense and most of FA moves were for defensive players, so I don't think anyone should be surprised how thin we are at pretty much every position on offense.

We still need a good two offseasons to have a team that can survive injuries on both sides of the ball, but most importantly we need a starting QB.

We spent our first two picks on defense and most of FA moves were for defensive players, so I don't think anyone should be surprised how thin we are at pretty much every position on offense.

We still need a good two offseasons to have a team that can survive injuries on both sides of the ball, but most importantly we need a starting QB.

Yeah, in most respects I am much more disappointed in how our d completely collapsed over the last three games. It's like they thought the bye was the end of the season... completely different D.

Yeah, in most respects I am much more disappointed in how our d completely collapsed over the last three games. It's like they thought the bye was the end of the season... completely different D.

Your defense needs to get a break and not be on the field all day.

You want defense stats, have the offense control the clock.

The defense gave our offense the ball after a turnover. We got ZERO. Count them 0 offensive yards, blocked field goal, and threw the defense back on the field.

The defense hasn't been good, but they sure would look better if our offense wasn't 3 and out.

Your defense needs to get a break and not be on the field all day.

You want defense stats, have the offense control the clock.

The defense gave our offense the ball after a turnover. We got ZERO. Count them 0 offensive yards, blocked field goal, and threw the defense back on the field.

The defense hasn't been good, but they sure would look better if our offense wasn't 3 and out.

I call balderdash. Against Carolina, on Carolina's first drive they allowed a seven minute touchdown drive. Yesterday, on the second drive we allowed a five minute drive and then every subsequent drive after that they folded. Our D isn't folding at the end of the game because they're tired. They're folding right at the start.

While the D had some glaring errors yesterday, on the whole they played good enough to win. Remember, the Bills were averaging 31 per game coming in. A pretty good recovery from the Panther game, IMO. The offense, however, is not even of major college quality.

While the D had some glaring errors yesterday, on the whole they played good enough to win. Remember, the Bills were averaging 31 per game coming in. A pretty good recovery from the Panther game, IMO. The offense, however, is not even of major college quality.

I think they throttled down in the second half. I really suspect if they wanted to score more they could have without that much problem.

The player personnel decisions were horrible. Keeping banks and Stallworth over hicks was the true kiss of death this season.

The 2nd mistake was moving montgomery to guard. Not only was he playing great, but he also knows the protection calls.

Stallworth and Banks have given us nothing.

I call balderdash. Against Carolina, on Carolina's first drive they allowed a seven minute touchdown drive. Yesterday, on the second drive we allowed a five minute drive and then every subsequent drive after that they folded. Our D isn't folding at the end of the game because they're tired. They're folding right at the start.

I agree, they aren't that good.

That said, our offense went out and did what? A seven minute drive? No, a 5 minute drive? No. They threw our defense right back out on the field.

So yeah, defensively we haven't been great (I have never been a Haslett fan). Offensively we have been HORRIFIC. If you had to throw away defense, offense, or special teams today...and you could only choose one, you would toss that offense in a heartbeat.

Still. As to the OP, it's not our depth. It's our talent. We are who we all thought we would be to start the season. A bad football team in year one of a rebuild.

We shouldn't have kept 7 receivers. Moss, Sellers, Cooley, Stallworth all should have been let go. More offensive lineman should have been on the roster. But it's year one of the rebuild. Next year you will see more cleaning house. Next year don't expect much. Just rebuilding in hopes to be competitive in 2 years.

We currently have the depth on the roster. The main problem is that they are normally starting. We are lacking the starter talent at so many positions on the roster. 3-4 people normal starters are much better suited as good quality depth. Monty should be the first one to come in on any of the 3 interior line not a starting Center/Guard. All of our WRs would be great number 2-4s or in the slot. The list goes on and on. We are lacking quality starters all over the place

When Shanahan came in we had an aging over-priced veteran team with no depth. The aging vets were mostly past their prime. We had a decent offseason and improved our depth. But, injuries crippled some of the weakest spots (OL, CB, S). Losing Hightower and Santana has hurt a lot too.

I'm discouraged more that the young players are learning to be losers. They seem to give up at the first sign of adversity. But, I'm convinced this team needs more than one offseason to fix it's problems.

Is there something about the D that can be exploited by an offense that I am not seeing? It sure seems like other teams have figured out something and are taking advantage of it. I've heard the 3-4 is risky against the run and get burned for big yardage if not implemented properly.

Archived