Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Found dead snake in my basement, need help...

grhqofb5

Yesterday as I was cleaning in my basement movie room, I came across what I first believed was worm, but upon closer examination was a dead baby blacksnake. It was about 4-5 inches long, about as thick as a shoe lace, stiff as a board, definately a snake, not just a snake skin. Hard to tell how long it had been there, but probably not very long because it was more or less in plain sight.

My house backs up to a wooded area/nature preserve, so I've always been careful to close my back door, etc. In fact, I can't ever recall leaving it open at any time. However, there was (until yesterday when I caulked it) a very slight opening where small insects could crawl through the seam where the door meets the weather stripping.

My question is this-- I have a utility room in my basement as well, where there are several boxes, etc. stacked up against walls, a prime location to hide. If a baby snake is in my basement, does that mean that the "mother" is not far behind? If so, is there a way I can "bait" the snake out of there by putting out some food or something? I'd like to try that before calling an exterminator.

First thing you should know is... black snakes are not poisonous. However, if they bite you, you are only at risk of an infection if they have a filthy mouth.

Since I grew up on the shores of the South River in a secluded area, I have no problems with certain snakes. (but I still dislike them a lot) If I was in your situation, I'd simply snoop around and move all the boxes around to be sure they're not there. ...just to be safe.

My in laws had a family of black snakes living in the walls of their garage. The snakes didn't stay very long. If there's no food source, they'll move along eventually. Black snakes keep to themselves.

First thing you should know is... black snakes are not poisonous. However, if they bite you, you are only at risk of an infection if they have a filthy mouth.

Since I grew up on the shores of the South River in a secluded area, I have no problems with certain snakes. (but I still dislike them a lot) If I was in your situation, I'd simply snoop around and move all the boxes around to be sure they're not there. ...just to be safe.

My in laws had a family of black snakes living in the walls of their garage. The snakes didn't stay very long. If there's no food source, they'll move along eventually. Black snakes keep to themselves.

That's more or less what I was thinking. My concern is that I have an 8 month old and have been letting him crawl around in my basement, and I'd like to be able to set him down without thinking about some damn snake messing with him. And its damn creepy finding something like that in your house.

Just FYI, baby black snakes are grey with brown bands. If the snake was mostly a solid dark color, it was probably a ringneck. They make their way into houses all the time. They are also harmless and don't get much bigger than a nightcrawler, which means they can fit through some very small holes. Not much you can do to completely seal them out.

Local snakes did their breeding months ago, so if it was a baby of some kind, it doesn't necessarily mean mom is still around.

Just FYI, baby black snakes are grey with brown bands. If the snake was mostly a solid dark color, it was probably a ringneck. They make their way into houses all the time. They are also harmless and don't get much bigger than a nightcrawler, which means they can fit through some very small holes. Not much you can do to completely seal them out.

Local snakes did their breeding months ago, so if it was a baby of some kind, it doesn't necessarily mean mom is still around.

Looks like that may be it. I know there are blacksnakes in my area (in fact, the kid next door picked one up in front our his house a couple years ago.). This looked like a worm, but was dark, definately had eyes and all that.

You found a dead snake in your houes!? There's only one thing you can do at this point...

MOVE!

Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing snakes in this mother****ing house!

SoaP100806-22.jpg

He should burn down the house as he leaves, for the safety of others.

Archived