Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do expect from John Beck on Sunday?

darrelgreenie

I don't think anyone KNOWS what to expect. I know what I would like to see. I would like to see 60% completions (or better) and I would like to see more touchdowns than turnovers. We need to give this guy a running game. We also need to give this guy some plays that'll get the ball out of his hands quickly. I liked the screen pass to Santana Moss. I like to try that with Terrance Austin, as he went nuts in the pre-season and has seen minimal touches this year.

He can't say he didn't get a fair shake. He came here with a bad rep. and was given a shot at redemption and unfortunatlely reverted back to old habits instead of changing. Why not chuck it away once in a while instead of the all or nothing,(usually nothing).

Let's Get with Beck and see what happens.:logo:

He can't say he didn't get a fair shake. He came here with a bad rep. and was given a shot at redemption and unfortunatlely reverted back to old habits instead of changing. Why not chuck it away once in a while instead of the all or nothing,(usually nothing).

Let's Get with Beck and see what happens.:logo:

Rex doesn't care about his own stats. If things are not going well, recievers are not getting separation and points are needed he will and has always just gone for it. He will give his recievers a chance to make a play. If they don't it makes Rex look real bad.

I really think we're giving Beck more credit than he is worth right now. I hope he succeeds but to assume he puts up 250 in his 5th career start...and his first since 2007 is really hoping for IMHO way too much.

I'd imagine numbers closer to 14/29 160-185 yards 1 td and 1-2 ints. He may even have 10-20 yards rushing. Too me that seems more relistic of a 5 time starter who didn't last in Miami, get a shot to compete in Baltimore, and lost out to Rex. Rex had a good game his first time out in preseason but he didn't look sharp throughout.

I hope I'm wrong and he lights it up for 350 and 3 tds, however its really unrealistic.

Lets just hope we see a heavy dose of THT, Helu, and Torien.

What did he say?

He was basically just talking about his intensity in the huddle, how he's this totally different guy when he steps on the field. Says you can see it in his eyes, like a switch going off. Says there's no reason to "dumb" down the offense due to his lack of experience in real gametime situations, says he gets it. I'd imagine they've got a podcast or something up with the interview on the site. It wasn't really anything earth shattering, just kind of intense to hear the same things from a player, that your inner fan wants to think/believe about the guy.

Not that it matters, but I find Beck quite dull. He just makes me think that he will be quite conservative on the field.

However, I don't think Shanahan will make it easy for him. He will want to put him in the same game situations as Rex to see how he reacts. Only that way can you fairly assess the two.

I can see him airing it out a few times in this game.

edit: not trying to be adversarial

Not that it matters' date=' but I find Beck quite dull. He just makes me think that he will be quite conservative on the field.[/quote']But, his play kinda shows the opposite doesn't it?

He was on the money deep down the seam to Gaffney that was dropped.

He went deep to Stallworth that was dropped.

He hit Austin deep down the seam.

Many of his passes were over 10 yards.

I can see him airing it out a few times in this game.
Based on the 4th qtr of the Eagles game, I have no doubt that Beck will chunk it deep when/if its there.

I haven't weighed in for a while as I have watched the QB saga in DC. Overall it has gone just as I said it would. You knew who Rex was when you called for his number, and you got just that. Overall though, it was probably good for John. If he went in instead of Rex and struggled (which will happen) you all would be showing up at his house with pitchforks and torches in hand. I wouldn't expect a world beating performance for John's first start. He will have an average to underwhelming game probably. But he will throw a few balls that will also excite you too, and leave you wondering if he can do it all the time. He will probably have a few botched plays where you all will be seriously scratching your heads. He does not throw many interceptions but I expect some early in the next few games until he gets comfortable with the speed and route running of his receivers. (See earlier posts by me) Like I said before, it will take a few games for him to build the trust and chemistry of his receivers. This is critical for John. Another thing is he throws a deceptively hard, fast ball. It will take a while for the receivers to adjust to the speed of his throws. Expect lots of dropped balls for the next couple of games. Early jitters will probably cause a few fumbles here and there until he gets comfortable. But John is a QB who will get pissed after a turnover and get icewater in his veins and go down and score after giving up a major botched play. One other point of note. Don't forget that there are 11 guys on the field with him. If they don't perform, he can't perform.

Good luck Skins fans.

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 09:53 AM ----------

I'm not expecting much. I guess the hope is fewer turnovers.

So, long story short, we are back to Campbell ball. Expect a very dull game with tons of check downs, screen passes, and throwaways, and a game we win or lose by 2-4 points.

You gotta understand that quick strike offenses make their defenses look crappy. You want a guy who knows when to check down and get the first down or just throw it away. If you bite off a little at a time with high percentage passes is wears down the opposing D and improves your chances of controlling the game in the fourth. Learn to celebrate first downs not just touchdowns.

According to ESPN's Total QBR John Beck's Week 6 performance was 60.2 which was good for 14th just ahead of Josh Freeman (57.7) and behind Drew Brees (60.4).

You DO all realize that these stats were padded by the fact that when Beck was put in, Philth was in Prevent defense which usually leads to high numbers?

Let's see what he can do when he starts this week. I suspect the numbers will be MUCH lower!

You DO all realize that these stats were padded by the fact that when Beck was put in, Philth was in Prevent defense which usually leads to high numbers?

Philly was hardly in a prevent D, they blitzed at times etc.. but yes at that point in the game they were probably protecting the deeper routes. Which is why it's all that much more impressive that John Beck was taking shots deep.

Austin beautiful pass and they connect.

Gaffney, I don't think was quite as nice as DG does. That should have been an easy TD, instead it was a receiver attempting to make a play.

Stallworth I don't remember well enough, I do agree that he should have caught it, but I also remember thinking it could have been another TD if ball placement had been better.

Let's see what he can do when he starts this week. I suspect the numbers will be MUCH lower!

Still no real tape on Beck so he might get off to a hot start, his mobility will help him with our make shift line.

OMG I really wanna take names of the JB haters and just start a thread where they get bashed if he plays well. I'm behind the guy 100%, he's got the keys to the Cadillac right now and I want nothing less than a good solid performance from him.

He also converted like our only third down of the entire game.

You know very little about your team and your backup QB. Do you listen to interviews? Do you read articles?

The back-up QB is Rex - what the Hell has he got to do with it ? :ols:

OMG I really wanna take names of the JB haters and just start a thread.....

Don't need to read much further. No can do, Mr NNT.

Next. :nana:

The average against the Panthers is composed of mostly above average QBs.

But you already know that.

That's a subjective assessment. Let's stick to the numbers.

Right now the numbers say that the median NFL QB passer rating (among top 32 qualified) in 2011 is 84.4. The median 2011 passer rating for the 6 QBs facing the Panthers is 85.0. If you took out their games against the Panthers, you'd actually see that these guys posted a passer rating below the NFL median against other teams.

So, regardless of what your spidey sense tells you about my motivations, the numbers don't provide a safe haven for your assumptions. The numbers say that the 6 QBs who have faced the Panthers have median QB passer rating that is almost identical to NFL starters overall.

Four different QBs have passed for a 100+ QB rating against the Panthers! Klob heads that list:

QB: rating against Panthers (season)

• Klob: 130.0 (77.2)
  • Rodgers: 119.0 (122.4)
  • Ryan: 101.1 (82.1)
  • Brees: 100.1 (97.1)

Even Gabbert posted a 73.3 rating (his first NFL game), vs 71.1 for the season. The only QB who did not post a high rating was Cutler (46.7 vs 87.8 on season). But, that's misleading, because the Bears rushed 31 times for 224 yards, and passed only 17 times. The Bears led the whole game and won.

I expected the Panthers game would be an easy game for either Beck or Grossman to show their upside and post a high QB rating. My post may look suspicious, but it's on the level. Anything less than an outstanding game should be cause for concern. Because Beck will play worse against the Bills and 49ers. Those teams have allowed opposing QBs an average rating of 79.7 and 77.7, respectively, compared to 99.8 for the Panthers.

Here's a quick way to decide how to feel about Beck after the Panthers game. Take his QB rating for the game and subtract 21 points. If you still like the rating, then you have some reason for optimism. If you don't, then you don't. :)

edit: not trying to be adversarial.

Did I miss the nasty stuff before it was taken out? :silly:

When I said dull, I was meaning in general. Nothing to do with his football, I just find him rather boring & monotone in interviews. A bit uninspiring.

As for his play, I'm inclined to think his play in the Eagles game was wholely dictated by the game situation. It will be interesting to see this week from the get go how we game-plan. I'm thinking play action, deep throw early on.

What happens if he posts a .5 QB rating? Do i still subtract? lol jk

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 12:48 PM ----------

Did I miss the nasty stuff before it was taken out? :silly:

When I said dull' date=' I was meaning in general. Nothing to do with his football, I just find him rather boring & monotone in interviews. A bit uninspiring.

As for his play, I'm inclined to think his play in the Eagles game was wholely dictated by the game situation. It will be interesting to see this week from the get go how we game-plan. I'm thinking play action, deep throw early on.[/quote']

Yeah, he's not making predictions that we are going to win the NFC East and then throwing 4 INT's in football games.. So boring. Zzz

Archived