Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our offense will continue to be anemic until Anthony Armstrong gets on the field

Slateman

teams didnt figure anything out. we have two **** quarterbacks, every NFL fan on the planet knew that before the season started.

look at the eagles game we just played. how many times did rex try to throw those intermediate or deep routes? how many of them worked? so lets say armstrong is in there now, whats the difference? we still have an inaccurate QB that sucked. now maybe beck is a little better, thats yet to be seen. but gaffney had no trouble running a deep route. he had separation, it was a good route, should have been 6. but instead we have grossman throwing, and the play goes the other way.

grossman hit armstrong for 2 long balls last year at the end of the season. 0 this year in the 2 games hes played. again, to say our offense is dependent on anthony armstrong is laughable..

I would have to agree with you... All i've been reading from the reporters' game-review is how Rex missed open receivers. Doc said it Monday morning, Chris Russell tweeted about it, and spoke on this for about 10 mins on the radio yesterday.... I do believe we need an upgrade @ WR, but I don't believe that our WRs are that bad. Its the QB.. Now hopefully this was only a Rex issue and Beck isn't as bad.

the passing numbers got inflated because we fell behind so much and mcnabb had to play catch up. we were getting yards but not points, which is the most important aspect of an offense.

Did we? I count 3 games from the entire 2010 season where we fell behind and passed in an attempt to catch up: 1) home vs. Philly, 2) at New York, and 3) at Dallas. In every other game, it was either a back and forth or we were playing from ahead. In our losses to the Texans, Rams, Colts, Lions, Vikings, Bucs, and Giants (home), we either gave up second half leads (Texans, Rams, Lions, Bucs) or played in tight games (Colts, Vikings, Giants). I don't think our stats were inflated from falling behind and playing catch up week in and week out.

and yes armstrong was good last year. i like armstrong and i think hes a good WR. however, if i remember correctly, he'd already lost his starting gig to gaffney in preseason this year, and again to the point of this thread, your offense doesnt go south because of one role player. we still couldnt score points last year with armstrong so why would we this year with a QB situation that seems to be going south? we ranked 25th in the league with 18.1 per game, so again im just not sure where all this "we arent producing because anthony armstrong isnt on the field" nonsense stems from.

Again, I generally agree that we aren't going to start blowing the doors off of anyone once AA comes back. But losing a starter is losing a starter. When you have the limited weapons on a relatively fragile offense like we do, it's reasonable to expect some drop-off when you lose one of those weapons...even if he isn't incredible. In the end though, we won't truly be able to tell if he had an impact since he's coming back while Beck is also taking over.

I would have to agree with you... All i've been reading from the reporters' game-review is how Rex missed open receivers. Doc said it Monday morning, Chris Russell tweeted about it, and spoke on this for about 10 mins on the radio yesterday.... I do believe we need an upgrade @ WR, but I don't believe that our WRs are that bad. Its the QB.. Now hopefully this was only a Rex issue and Beck isn't as bad.

Like Rex's last pick against the Eagles down the sideline. He has (Stallworth I believe) wide over 5 yards past the 1st down markers across the middle - RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM!

Did we? I count 3 games from the entire 2010 season where we fell behind and passed in an attempt to catch up: 1) home vs. Philly, 2) at New York, and 3) at Dallas. In every other game, it was either a back and forth or we were playing from ahead. In our losses to the Texans, Rams, Colts, Lions, Vikings, Bucs, and Giants (home), we either gave up second half leads (Texans, Rams, Lions, Bucs) or played in tight games (Colts, Vikings, Giants). I don't think our stats were inflated from falling behind and playing catch up week in and week out. .

eh, id say more than that. the rams game was definitely a catch up. we didnt call a run play in the 4th quarter, every play was a pass. the indy game we were down by 10 in the 4th quarter, all passing after that. vikings game again, down by 10 going into the 4th, we didnt call a run play in the 4th quarter. last giants game, again down by 10 in the 4th, no runs after that. so while these werent blowout games, we were definitely playing catch up. thats 7 games of our 16 where we were playing catch up, in the 4th quarter while not running the ball once.

but in short, yes we could pass on teams last year, however we couldnt score. which is why my whole argument about armstrong not making that big of an impact should be valid: even when we had him last year, we werent scoring anyways.

but in short, yes we could pass on teams last year, however we couldnt score. which is why my whole argument about armstrong not making that big of an impact should be valid: even when we had him last year, we werent scoring anyways.

Fair enough...but, despite a small sample size, we WERE scoring with him THIS year. Last year's team isn't this year's team and when Armstrong played 4 quarters, we scored 21 points in both games. It's possible we see a small uptick if he's in there. That's all. I don't think he's the missing link, but he is probably better than his replacement, so his absence has SOME impact. That's really my only point.

Gotta work with what you got, ya know? AA has been a playmaker sense he got here, and right now we need all the help we can get. That's not saying AA is our savior or the Beck is our franchise QB; but this is a team sport. It's the little things that can make a huge difference in a league of parity.

Offense will be better with AA in the slot. He's fast as hell, and the system is good for getting at least one reciever open a play 9 times out 10. Hard to say what's going to happen with the running game, because any team that losses it's starting LG for the season is going to have a set back. Have yall seen that stats of how many times we run to the left?

Fair enough...but, despite a small sample size, we WERE scoring with him THIS year. Last year's team isn't this year's team and when Armstrong played 4 quarters, we scored 21 points in both games. It's possible we see a small uptick if he's in there. That's all. I don't think he's the missing link, but he is probably better than his replacement, so his absence has SOME impact. That's really my only point.

so with armstrong we've scored 21 and 22 points. 21.5 per game

without armstrong we've scored 18, 17, and 13. 16 per game

i think the sample size is super small right now, and with a new QB its gonna be tough to judge. but i still see our offense hovering around 18-20 even with armstrong.

so with armstrong we've scored 21 and 22 points. 21.5 per game

without armstrong we've scored 18, 17, and 13. 16 per game

i think the sample size is super small right now, and with a new QB its gonna be tough to judge. but i still see our offense hovering around 18-20 even with armstrong.

I don't disagree...and certainly agree that we might not ever know (if we even see an improvement). I will concede that I don't believe Armstrong alone is responsible for 5.5 points per game. I'd love that to be the case, but I don't believe it either. :ols:

Moss has lost a step? Davis can't stretch the field? Only Armstrong can do that? Davis was deep several times during the Eagles game and it took three defenders to surround him and Intercept the pass. The Eagles doubled Davis becasue he can stretch the field no matter what you or anyone else says including Doc Walker. Doc Walker never had half of the athletic ability or speed that Davis has so how does he know if davis can stretch the field or not? I like Doc but he is dead wrong on that. When Armstrong plays again you will see him open it up for Moss, Gaffney and Davis so things will improve. Armstrong just makes it hard to double Davis and himself because of their deep threat abilities. Even Moss will get more opportunities. 5 or 6 Db's is hard to throw against.

teams didnt figure anything out. we have two **** quarterbacks, every NFL fan on the planet knew that before the season started.

look at the eagles game we just played. how many times did rex try to throw those intermediate or deep routes? how many of them worked? so lets say armstrong is in there now, whats the difference? we still have an inaccurate QB that sucked. now maybe beck is a little better, thats yet to be seen. but gaffney had no trouble running a deep route. he had separation, it was a good route, should have been 6. but instead we have grossman throwing, and the play goes the other way.

grossman hit armstrong for 2 long balls last year at the end of the season. 0 this year in the 2 games hes played. again, to say our offense is dependent on anthony armstrong is laughable.

= : -) _______________________________________________

First the offense looked good, then teams gathered up at the line and took away the run and the short routes. I think Armstrong changes that somewhat, but who knows with him coming back if that is going to change. No. 1 is he healthy? No. 2, you now have a different QB and he throws differently. Grossman was never going to hit the deep guy, Armstrong, Gaffney, Moss on a consistent basis.

Finally I never said the team was dependent on Armstrong only that it might help the fact that no team feared the Redskins deep. And honestly you and I don't know right now if Beck changes any of that, but we do know that Grossman has run his course. It is time to trade in the cards and see if the river turns up anything. The Team has bluffed on QB and gotten called once again.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 12:52 PM ----------

He's playing this week, so well see how it turns out.

And so is John Beck.

I don't for one minute not believe Austin, or one of the rooks couldn't do just that given the chance.

But they haven't been given that chance. Our passing game plan involves Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth or AA. Vets. that can supposedly be relied on.

It's not so much a lack of AA, than a HC and OC that won't trust all the weapons at their disposal.

Hail.

seriously? anthony armstrong, a former practice squad player who runs a nice deep route, is going to somehow dramatically improve our offense? what i said is 100% correct, our offense doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong. last season was different because unlike the guys on our roster, mcnabb could still throw a very good deep ball. both rex and beck have limited armstrength, something that doesnt bode well for armstrong. so fine armstrong comes back. then what? we get to run 1-2 bombs a game? this is somehow going to make defenses "respect our speed"? and i have the low football IQ? cmon.

if youd like to continue believing that our 3rd WR on the depth chart is going to alter our offensive performance because he can run one route well, by all means believe that. does anyone remember that our offense sucked last year too with armstrong in there? anybody?

Are you kidding? Stop friggin exaggerating the other person's points like you always do! I never said it would "dramatically" improve the offense. You see, you always need to make those exaggerated statements so that your argument has a leg to stand on. Unfortunately, I'm going to call you on it. What I did say was this:

Saying something like "he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people" shows an incredibly low football IQ, man. If he improves our deep game then, by default, the offense will improve as a whole and both the running game and short to intermediate passing game open up because the DBs can't cheat. They'be got to respect our speed.

You can't argue against that statement, so you make it about something else. Yes, Anthony has speed. Yes, that forces D's to respect him deep and DBs can't cheat on routes. Yes, that will improve our offense. The fact is, no other WR on our team can do what he does for us right now. Gaffney and Moss can't explode past anyone and get deep quickly, they're best at the intermediate game. Stallworth has definitely lost a step. Austin may be the guy, but he doesn't play at the same speed as Armstrong and isn't as complete a WR. Banks is the only guys who can match Armstrong's speed, but he isn't a consistent route runner.

Could you please focus on those logical statements and not make it about anything else? Thanks.

Archived