Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our offense will continue to be anemic until Anthony Armstrong gets on the field

Slateman

Are you at practices?

How can the average poster even claim that these players can't do this?

I am serious

Do you know that Paul, Austin, and HAnkerson can't run routes?

Bet you were saying the same crap about Brandon Lloyd

Please stop this absolute nonsense

For years our young Wide Receivers haven't been given the chance to produce

And all of them can't run routes? Bullspit

You are right. I do not know that for sure. Nor, if I did see them, would I necessarily know that for sure. That's why I have to look at the decisions of the coaching staff. If they were better options currently than Moss, Gaffney, Armstong and Stallworth, they would be playing ahead of them.

How can they show us a damn thing when they aren't on the field?

They were in preseason, and neither guy exactly lit it up. Armstrong, when he played in the preseason last year, played like he deserved to be on the field. I haven't seen that from the rookies yet.

Please explain your line of thinking because for the past 5 years we've been unable to develop a single young WR and they have been here

We just don't give them the chance

Actually, it has been a lot longer than that. Try nearly 30 years. In that time, Art Monk is the only young receiver we have developed.

If we fall out of contention I would love to see those three take over the WR duties completely while we cut Gaffney (hes on a one year deal) and Stallworth (that piece of crap shouldnt ever see the field for us and is a disgrace to be on the team is also on a 1 year deal)

More than likely you might see more of those guys later in the season, no matter how we do. Probably because they are actually progressing. I think some have unrealistic expectations for rookies. Most don't come to the NFL fully formed as NFL players. There is a learning curve. That is particularly true of WRs, who often could get away on talent alone and didn't need to learn much about running routes or setting up CBs.

Apparently he participated fully in practice today so he'll probably be back on Sunday

That's definitely good news. He had some drops in the first game but had a big TD catch and a highlight real grab to put us in position for the score as well which were two huge plays. He almost never dropped the ball last year so I'm not too worried about that. Armstrong is definitely a threat and will help out when he comes back.

I'm not sure how many snaps Austin will see but I can tell you one thing I have noticed - Beck absolutely LOVES him and tends to look his way. He developed a strong rapport with him in preseason and it is no coincidence that Austin logged his first catch when Beck entered the game against Philly. Not saying Austin is going to break out but I expect Beck to look his way if he is on the field.

You are right. I do not know that for sure. Nor, if I did see them, would I necessarily know that for sure. That's why I have to look at the decisions of the coaching staff. If they were better options currently than Moss, Gaffney, Armstong and Stallworth, they would be playing ahead of them.

Sorry but I disagree with this for the following reasons. How exactly did the coaching staff mess up so badly on Brandon Lloyd? I mean seriously. How did we have last years NFL yardage leading receiver on this team and never throw him the ball? Or how exactly were we able to truly gauge the playing ability of Fred Davis until he was forced onto the field with Cooley injuries? And then knowing how good Fred Davis actually was then continue to sit him on the bench? Why do we like to throw the ball to these old guys when we have faster younger legs on the bench. It doesn't make any sense to me. This is a game of speed and we are wasting the youth of these players and chances for experience at the expense of playing the veterans. Without seeing them on the field we will never know who they are and I do not believe that our best options are all over 30 years old. These guys need to play. The problem is the teams mentality that we are always in a win now mode here. We aren't as good as the Packers. We aren't likely to go to the Superbowl this year. Why aren't we using a single play to get these guys more involved? We haven't thrown the ball to Paul or Hankerson once this year and its almost already half over. Why? I'm not asking for the moon, I'm not asking for Greg Little type targets. But one play a game can't we call these guys numbers?

Thank you. I've been posting about this non-stop the last few weeks. He truly is the difference, just by sheer respect the DBs have to give his speed. Rex tried to get Gaffney and Davis more chances deep, but he failed to put the ball in the right spot with Gaffney and Fred didn't help him out when he did.

Our Offense needs an explosive playmaker. No matter who you put in at QB, (Beck is by far the better option) we need someone who comes up big at any time, take it the distance, Leap and sky someone in triple coverage, etc. Let me go through a list of all teams and give you an example.

AFC NORTH

Baltimore Ravens: Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Lee Evans, Torrey Smith

Cleveland Browns: Peyton Hillis, Massaquoi, Josh Cribbs

Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Mendenhall, Hines Ward

Cincinnati Bengals: AJ Green, Jerome Simpson, Cedric Benson. :cry:

AFC EAST

New England: Wes Welker, Branch, Arguably the Greatest QB of all time........

NY Jets: Tomlinson, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress,

Buffalo: Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller

Miami: Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush, Davone Bess

AFC South:

Indianapolis: Manning, Wayne, Addai, Garcon,

Houston: Foster, A Johnson, J Jones, Tate

Tennessee: Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt, Mariani

Jacksonville: Jones-Drew, Gabbert, Mike Thomas

AFC WEST:

Denver: Tim Tebow, Eddie Royal, D Thomas, Moreno

Oakland: McFadden, Ford, Heyward-Bey, maybe Pryor one day

San Diego: Rivers, V Jackson, R Matthews, Gates

Kansas City: Jamal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, McCluster

NFC NORTH

Chicago: Hester, Forte, Knox, Cutler

Green Bay: Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Driver, Randall Cobb

Detriot: Calvin Johnson Jr, Jahvid Best, Stafford, Titus Young

Minnesota: Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta: Roddy White, Julio Jones, Michael Turner

Carolina: Steve Smith, D Williams, Cam Newton

New Orleans: Sproles, Brees, Henderson, Colston

Tampa Bay: Freeman, Blount, Arrellious Benn, Mike Williams

NFC WEST

Seattle: Golden Tate, Sidney Rice, Forsett, Washington, Lynch

Arizona: Wells, Fitzgerald

San Fransisco: Crabtree, Braylon Edwards, Frank Gore, Ginn Jr

St. Louis: Steven Jackson......

NFC EAST

Dallas: Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Witten, Felix Jones

New York: Bradshaw, Jacobs, Nicks, Cruz, Manningham

Philadelphia: Vick, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin

Washington: Moss? Helu? Armstrong?

Most of these teams have more than one , and can count on production from these players. We, on the other hand, don't really have anyone consistent. Moss is on the downside, and doesn't get as much separation anymore, anyone who's been watching see he clearly has lost a step. Helu seems like the only option at RB, but Shanahan gives most of the carries to Torain and Hightower who are also very slow runners. The few who don't have much (St. Louis) are obviously on of the bottom teams in the league. We need to draft some Offensive EXPLOSION, that's when it can help out whoever we got at QB.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 12:34 AM ----------

On a side note, remember when 'tana would take those screens passes to the house?

Sorry but I disagree with this for the following reasons. How exactly did the coaching staff mess up so badly on Brandon Lloyd? I mean seriously. How did we have last years NFL yardage leading receiver on this team and never throw him the ball? Or how exactly were we able to truly gauge the playing ability of Fred Davis until he was forced onto the field with Cooley injuries? And then knowing how good Fred Davis actually was then continue to sit him on the bench? Why do we like to throw the ball to these old guys when we have faster younger legs on the bench. It doesn't make any sense to me. This is a game of speed and we are wasting the youth of these players and chances for experience at the expense of playing the veterans. Without seeing them on the field we will never know who they are and I do not believe that our best options are all over 30 years old. These guys need to play. The problem is the teams mentality that we are always in a win now mode here. We aren't as good as the Packers. We aren't likely to go to the Superbowl this year. Why aren't we using a single play to get these guys more involved? We haven't thrown the ball to Paul or Hankerson once this year and its almost already half over. Why? I'm not asking for the moon, I'm not asking for Greg Little type targets. But one play a game can't we call these guys numbers?

Considering the amount of time Lloyd was on the field, you'd have to think the reason he wasn't getting thrown at was because he wasn't getting open. Also, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence that he just wasn't working that hard, acting like he was entitled to his position because of his contract. Certainly, after that year he was in Gibbs' doghouse, never to escape. Maybe that was all a wakeup call for him. I sense a similar thing with Shanahan and Devin Thomas. No doubt both are talented, but it takes more than talent to succeed in the NFL.

As with Davis, the problem is that Cooley has been a really good receiving TE who has excellent route running skills and hands. It is kinda hard to put that on the bench. (Tho, really, Cooley and Davis has spent a lot of time on the field together, usually with one blocking and the other running routes.) To be honest, this year is the first time I felt like Davis has played up to his potential.

Whether or not you think we should be "winning now", it is the coaches' job to win as many games as possible every year. Until it becomes obvious that the playoffs are out of reach, there is no reason to play players who you don't think are as good as the starters. No matter what you think of this team, the fact that we are still 3-2 still leaves us very much in the hunt. All it takes is one hot streak at the right time, and you could go to the super bowl.

As for Greg Little, it should be pretty obvious why he's playing by looking at Cleveland's roster. It is easier to argue that Little should play over Brian Robiskie than it is to argue that Paul or Hankerson should play over Moss or Gaffney, who probably outplay most of the receivers on Cleveland's roster.

I actually was thinking this today. Yes, Rex wasn't playing well but as soon as AA starting missing games, our offense wasn't moving like it was the first few games. We still struggle in the red zone, but we were moving the ball a lot better with our deep threat on the field. I'm hoping he's in this game.

guys, one slot receiver who happens to be fast isnt going to fix anything. he will give us maybe 1-2 deep shots a game, and hitting on those with the QBs we have is a big what if.

armstrong played all the games last season, our offense still sucked for the most part. he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people.

guys, one slot receiver who happens to be fast isnt going to fix anything. he will give us maybe 1-2 deep shots a game, and hitting on those with the QBs we have is a big what if.

armstrong played all the games last season, our offense still sucked for the most part. he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people.

Armstrong hardly plays in the slot. He lines up as the X or Z receiver. And yes, it is a big deal when you don't have speed at WR on the field. It has affected the way teams play us, especially the DBs. They can "cheat" a lot more, which is what you saw the Eagles safeties doing. They weren't so worried about getting burned. The Rams did much the same. With Armstrong on the field, we could punish them easily with that as he's one of the fastest guys in the league and knows how to get open.

And Armstrong playing last year proves what we're talking about, it doesn't negate it. If you remember, our offense sucked because McNabb couldn't do anything but throw deep. Our offense pretty much went like this: punt, punt, 50 yard TD, punt, punt, 30 yard reception leading to FG, punt, punt, etc...

All McNabb could do was hit the bomb every so often, of which Armstrong was a big part of. We couldn't sustain long drives to save our life. That's why McNabb racked up all those yards.

Saying something like "he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people" shows an incredibly low football IQ, man. If he improves our deep game then, by default, the offense will improve as a whole and both the running game and short to intermediate passing game open up because the DBs can't cheat. They'be got to respect our speed.

I'd rather take a shot deep, show them that you're willing to go downfield, and have them back their coverage off and not stack the box vs. the run.

And that is the issue. Teams figured out real quick we had a QB who could not make that throw and we had WR's who could not get deep separation, so they stopped the run and bam the offense looked like crap.

this thread is a joke. to say that our whole offense revolves around 1 mediocre player is really dumb.

i see everybody on here saying that our young receivers arent "ready". that they cant run routes. its not like theyve never run a route in their life. they run routes in college. they have good coaches in college who teach them how to run routes. to say that thomas, kelly, paul, austin, hankerson, etc, etc arent/werent ready makes me think we have the absolute worst scouts on the planet. why draft players if they are that raw? or in devin thomas' situation, a player that has no work ethic?

look around the league, and u will see young and rookie wide receivers getting thrown into the game, and making plays. all they need is a chance. we never give our young receivers a chance. we are wasting potential on the sideline, while old washed up players like antwaan randle el and joey galloway are on the field. i wont call moss and gaffney washed up, but they need to be rotated in with our younger receivers more.

Unfortunately, I agree... Armstrong is a threat because the rest of our recievers are average at best. They dont double cover him or play man to man against him much, and hes the only skins WR thats willing to go deep and seperate from defenders quick enough for Rex or John to see. I'm more interested in our future for Hankerson and Paul, but we havent even passed their way and let them show their talent and build any experience. Although, Gaffney and Moss are two good possession short route ability recievers, but without anyone else being able to step up besides Armstrong and Davis, its going to be tough to get some consistent play from that reciever corps. I see a lot of screen passes this season.

Use our rookies, Use our future. Let them suprise defenses and be an actual asset to the team other than filling up the roster sheet.

Armstrong hardly plays in the slot. He lines up as the X or Z receiver. And yes, it is a big deal when you don't have speed at WR on the field. It has affected the way teams play us, especially the DBs. They can "cheat" a lot more, which is what you saw the Eagles safeties doing. They weren't so worried about getting burned. The Rams did much the same. With Armstrong on the field, we could punish them easily with that as he's one of the fastest guys in the league and knows how to get open.

And Armstrong playing last year proves what we're talking about, it doesn't negate it. If you remember, our offense sucked because McNabb couldn't do anything but throw deep. Our offense pretty much went like this: punt, punt, 50 yard TD, punt, punt, 30 yard reception leading to FG, punt, punt, etc...

All McNabb could do was hit the bomb every so often, of which Armstrong was a big part of. We couldn't sustain long drives to save our life. That's why McNabb racked up all those yards.

Saying something like "he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people" shows an incredibly low football IQ, man. If he improves our deep game then, by default, the offense will improve as a whole and both the running game and short to intermediate passing game open up because the DBs can't cheat. They'be got to respect our speed.

seriously? anthony armstrong, a former practice squad player who runs a nice deep route, is going to somehow dramatically improve our offense? what i said is 100% correct, our offense doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong. last season was different because unlike the guys on our roster, mcnabb could still throw a very good deep ball. both rex and beck have limited armstrength, something that doesnt bode well for armstrong. so fine armstrong comes back. then what? we get to run 1-2 bombs a game? this is somehow going to make defenses "respect our speed"? and i have the low football IQ? cmon.

if youd like to continue believing that our 3rd WR on the depth chart is going to alter our offensive performance because he can run one route well, by all means believe that. does anyone remember that our offense sucked last year too with armstrong in there? anybody?

I think his significance is being overstated as well, but we were the #8 in the league in passing offense last year. I don't think you can say our offense sucked last year. Also, didn't Armstrong have the best season since Albert Connell (1999) when it comes to Redskin #2 WRs? I realize it's not exactly a Who's Who, but putting up the best numbers as a secondary WR in over a decade is still pretty impressive.

And that is the issue. Teams figured out real quick we had a QB who could not make that throw and we had WR's who could not get deep separation, so they stopped the run and bam the offense looked like crap.

teams didnt figure anything out. we have two **** quarterbacks, every NFL fan on the planet knew that before the season started.

look at the eagles game we just played. how many times did rex try to throw those intermediate or deep routes? how many of them worked? so lets say armstrong is in there now, whats the difference? we still have an inaccurate QB that sucked. now maybe beck is a little better, thats yet to be seen. but gaffney had no trouble running a deep route. he had separation, it was a good route, should have been 6. but instead we have grossman throwing, and the play goes the other way.

grossman hit armstrong for 2 long balls last year at the end of the season. 0 this year in the 2 games hes played. again, to say our offense is dependent on anthony armstrong is laughable.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 09:33 AM ----------

I think his significance is being overstated as well, but we were the #8 in the league in passing offense last year. I don't think you can say our offense sucked last year. Also, didn't Armstrong have the best season since Albert Connell (1999) when it comes to Redskin #2 WRs? I realize it's not exactly a Who's Who, but putting up the best numbers as a secondary WR in over a decade is still pretty impressive.

the passing numbers got inflated because we fell behind so much and mcnabb had to play catch up. we were getting yards but not points, which is the most important aspect of an offense.

and yes armstrong was good last year. i like armstrong and i think hes a good WR. however, if i remember correctly, he'd already lost his starting gig to gaffney in preseason this year, and again to the point of this thread, your offense doesnt go south because of one role player. we still couldnt score points last year with armstrong so why would we this year with a QB situation that seems to be going south? we ranked 25th in the league with 18.1 per game, so again im just not sure where all this "we arent producing because anthony armstrong isnt on the field" nonsense stems from.

So when is AA supposed to come back? Should Hank the Tank, or Paul get more reps with AA out? Hankerson at least seems like he should be effective in the Red Zone.

clearly hes not doing something correctly in the coaches eyes cause he cant get on the field. whether its poor routes, bad hands, poor blocking, etc. hes not doing enough to get on the field yet.

Archived