Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Its ok Defense you did ok

RichmondRedskin88

Other than the first half, the defense had a very good game. 4 Interceptions will always kill you. The play of the game was after we picked Vince Young off at the 20 yard line and we gave the ball right back to Philly. We had an easy chance to get 7 there...It's ok though, we are still 3-2 on the season and have played all 3 division teams once and we are going to be in 2nd place no matter what at the end of today. Let's put this game behind us and beat the Panthers next week.

"Other than the first half"?

Ugh. That's akin to ASF saying something like, "If you take away the four picks Grossman threw, he played quite well".

The defense, in total performance, was mediocre at best. The offense, in total performance, was poor at best.

Okay. So the offense takes it time and scores and closes it to 7. The "d is tired due to the offense making mistakes" excuse does not hold up. They meekly gave up on that last drive. It was a disgrace. People want to give them a pass, fine. But that's why we are losers. Just be aware of that.

Yep - good defenses get off the field in that situation, knowing the offense will run with 2 timeouts in the locker, and gives the offense the ball back with just over 1 minute left. Odds are still stacked against you then but you have a chance.

The defense played well in the second half but they had allowed 20 points by then and you cant discount that. This game was lost by Rex and the offense but the defense played a part in the loss by allowing the Eagles offense long drives for 2 TDs and FG's in the first half and by not getting off the field on that last drive.

"Other than the first half"?

Ugh. That's akin to ASF saying something like, "If you take away the four picks Grossman threw, he played quite well".

The defense, in total performance, was mediocre at best. The offense, in total performance, was poor at best.

ok then, whole game.

the defense gave up 20 points and gave the ball to the offense twice.

that's a respectable game against a high powered offense.

now throw in the fact that they had to defend against 4 extra possessions caused by the offense turning the ball over.

that's pretty damned impressive.

ok then, whole game.

the defense gave up 20 points and gave the ball to the offense twice.

that's a respectable game against a high powered offense.

now throw in the fact that they had to defend against 4 extra possessions caused by the offense turning the ball over.

that's pretty damned impressive.

Again, word choice here kills me.

"Damned Impressive"? No it's not. Damned impressive is shutting them out. Allowing 20 points (with help from a putrid offense, of course) in the first half is BAD. Allowing zero in the second half is good. I'd say that puts them right at the "respectable" level of play.

i don't understand some of you guys. yea the D looked lost in the first half, but lets not forget that when your O gives up 4 turnovers it puts incredible amount of pressure on your D. And by the end on that last drive of the Eagles they were dead. How can they not be? 4 turnovers means they are out there a lot more against arguably one of the best offenses in the league and most likely the fastest. This is ALL on Rex. this D kept the Eagles to ZERO points in the 2nd half. how many teams have done that against the Eagles this year?

The Eagles were very lucky yesterday, I guess they were due. After that horrid roughing the passer, they also had some amazing catches AND we lost 2 starting Linemen, plus Cooley. I mean all that plus 4 INTs and still we were within 7.

The Eagles were very lucky yesterday, I guess they were due. After that horrid roughing the passer, they also had some amazing catches AND we lost 2 starting Linemen, plus Cooley. I mean all that plus 4 INTs and still we were within 7.

I do think that last year - and previous years - this was a game we would have lost by far more than 7 points

• 1 month later...

Thats the problem with this d, when it really matters they cant stop anybody,,just when the o comes to life, the d shows its real colors,weak,weak weak, d hall needs to go..heres your first clue d hall, i wont even charge you for it, on the first td dallas scored. IF the wr runs at you and blocks you. its a run. if he blows by you as you stare in the backfield ,its a pass...learn it. live it .be it

What is with Jim Haslett? He makes what should be a decent defense more and more impotent each week. They never lay a hand on Romo sits to pee when it counted. Huge third down letdowns.

That wasn't a fault with Haslett. That was a fault with the players, they got a lot of pressure on each play, they just couldn't either get to him or keep him from scrambling and converting on a broken play.

That wasn't a fault with Haslett. That was a fault with the players, they got a lot of pressure on each play, they just couldn't either get to him or keep him from scrambling and converting on a broken play.

If secondary blitzes are ALWAYS slow to arrive at the pocket; if pass rushers are sort of getting near the quarterback, the defensive coaching is flawed.

If secondary blitzes are ALWAYS slow to arrive at the pocket; if pass rushers are sort of getting near the quarterback, the defensive coaching is flawed.

The big problem wasn't secondary blitzes, but rather botched assignments in the secondary whenever Romo sits to pee has to leave the pocket because our pass rush crushed it.

The Witten touchdown was a missed assignment by a linebacker who was supposed to run with him. The game changing 3rd and 15 conversion to Dez was because Hall started off playing the inside when Romo sits to pee scrambled to the left, so when he had to switch to the outside he slipped. That fault is Hall's.

If you want to blame the defensive coaching, maybe it should be the defensive line coach instead of just Haslett? Better technique or situational awareness for what certain QB's like to do if the pocket collapses seems to be a big culprit.

Archived