Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we/should we make a move before the deadline?

Slateman

I'd love to see us trade Dante Stallworth to a team in need in exchange for a 4th rounder. While I think he's still a solid WR, we have enough young depth (Austin, Paul, Hankerson) whose skills are about on par w/Dante's skills. I don't see him in our long-term plans and it would be great to get another pick in exchange for him!

Classic case of over-valuing our own players.

If Bruce Allen sent an email to every other GM right now and said, "Dante Stallworth is available to the first person who responds witha sixth round pick in return" I think he would get zero replies. Stallworth has no value.

Why do I want the Redskins to have a good quarterback for the next 3 years? So we can draft a QB next year and give him a couple years to get groomed and take right over.

NFC East is ripe for the picking and our QB play is holding us back. Insert Palmer and we are legit Super Bowl contenders

No. My question was why Palmer? I can only assume you haven't seen much of him in recent years.

No. My question was why Palmer? I can only assume you haven't seen much of him in recent years.

Because the Bengals might be willing to get something for him now. He's proved his point, he doesn't want to be in Cincy.

And Palmer is a thousand times better than Grossman

Because the Bengals might be willing to get something for him now. He's proved his point, he doesn't want to be in Cincy.

He doesn't know the playbook. Look at Kerry Collins, he was a dead weight to Indy's offense while they're looking at least somewhat threatening with Painter.

There is no position we are weak at as far as starters, besides (arguably... and almost certainly ) QB. Who is out there to trade for? Nobody who will be immediately better than Rex. Even if we somehow got Brandon Marshall for a good price (which we won't), I don't think it helps all that much because Rex's biggest problem is Rex, not our WRs. And as far as depth, you don't trade draft picks for depth. And you certainly don't trade players who have spent 2 months on the team for depth.

I think the Dolphins would trade Marshell for a 4th. I have to believe that they would love to get rid of that contract.

No, he isn't. Palmer's arm is nothing compared to what it used to be. He's not enough of an upgrade to actually TRADE for.

This would be the "same old Snyder's Redskins" move to make, though. So there's that.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:40 PM ----------

I think the Dolphins would trade Marshell for a 4th. I have to believe that they would love to get rid of that contract.

No way. Marshall will be a top-5 receiver again with Luck slinging the rock.

IMO, any trade for a QB at this point would be pointless. Grossman isn't great, but at least he knows the system. If Grossman plays bad enough to consider a trade, we'd be better off just going with Beck. We have enough talent on offense to get by. We should deal with what we have, and draft some playmakers next year.

No, he isn't. Palmer's arm is nothing compared to what it used to be. He's not enough of an upgrade to actually TRADE for.

This would be the "same old Snyder's Redskins" move to make, though. So there's that..

What? The same Palmer who threw for 3970 yards last season? His arm is "nothing comapred to what it used to be?"

Ya coulda left Hankerson out of the mix; there's NO comparison to him and Stallworth.

And please, for the love of everything nice, stop with the Kyle Orton crap!!! Such an infactuation with this loser is really worn out, he never has and never will be anything more than a game manager, if that...

Where did I mention Kyle Orton?!

I think even though Hank hasn't gotten on the field yet, we're invested in him as a future WR for our team and if he needed to be on the field, there wouldn't be such a huge drop off from Dante.

Classic case of over-valuing our own players.

If Bruce Allen sent an email to every other GM right now and said, "Dante Stallworth is available to the first person who responds witha sixth round pick in return" I think he would get zero replies. Stallworth has no value.

I'm not saying that it's a given and I'll acknowledge a 4th is a stretch, but I think that it's not out of the realm of possibilities. Again, we'd have to find a team in need of a solid WR and perhaps had an extra late-round draft pick to burn. Bruce's refreshing way of running the ship (compared to Vinnie) has me dreaming! :)

What? The same Palmer who threw for 3970 yards last season? His arm is "nothing comapred to what it used to be?"

Yes. Actually watching the games might help, rather than just looking at stats. He's not the younger Carson Palmer. He's journeyman-level, now. His arm is NOTHING compared to what it was.

I'd probably test the waters on an upgrade at WR. I'd probably start by placing a call to Miami about Brandon Marshall. He fills a very obvious need.... Miami is heading into total rebuild and probably would like an extra pick and to lose his contract.

No chance do I give a first or second, but if the Fins were willing to take a third, I'd roll the dice.

Niles Paul & Leonard Hankerson

Why in the hell are some of you convinced these 2 guys are garbage already?

Hell no to getting a WR, lets see what they can do 1st

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 12:59 PM ----------

Totally disagree. WR is a weakness. Not saying any of our guys are worthless, and they are all grinders, but just not much talent there.

How can you even say that with a straight face

You seen something on the field we haven't???

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

I wouldn't mind sniffing around Matt Flynn, though I doubt that's an option. He is a free agent next year, so the Packers may want something for him, but at the same time, if A Rod gets hurt, he is a proven comedity at back up (albeit in a loss to the Pats, but he was impressive). This would be the move I would make, I'd go as high as a 3rd rounder for Flynn. If they don't bite on that, I just go forward with who I get in the draft next year.

Speaking of QB's there are a few guys worth looking at. The short list:

Matt Flynn as you mentioned isn't a bad target as I think he will one day become a star in the league. And since he is a FA next season and they have Graham Herrel in the wings I do believe they would be willing to move him now. The problem is I believe they are going to want either a 3rd at least or a capable offensive linemen since they have had injuries there this season and we just don't have the linemen they need. And I don't suggest trading a draft pick for a player who's not locked up under contract like this.

Mike Kafka, my personal choice over Flynn because he is 24, has a rocket arm and is extremely accurate. The icing on the cake is they have Vince Young as a backup. Best trade senario on the market today as he is the best 3rd string QB in the league by a wide margin and how much could a 3rd string QB actually cost? If they would take a 4th for the 4th they spent on him and say a 2013 6th to me that's a no brainer. And since he had the one bad outing against the Giants recently and they over reacted by dropping him on the depth chart we are looking at a buy low candidate to me. I believe he will be a star in this league when he's given a full work load

Tyrod Taylor. If he was 3rd on the depth chart and not Flaccos back up I'd love the 22 year old Vick junior. But as Flaccos backup I don't think they would let him go cheap enough . I think he's going to be a star in this league some day as well.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:17 PM ----------

I'd love to see us trade Dante Stallworth to a team in need in exchange for a 4th rounder. While I think he's still a solid WR, we have enough young depth (Austin, Paul, Hankerson) whose skills are about on par w/Dante's skills. I don't see him in our long-term plans and it would be great to get another pick in exchange for him!

I think we should just accept any pick for DS

He's total garbage and anyone stupid enough to trade for a special teams ace should be taken to the cleaners and abused.

Even a 7th rounder would get him moved if I were Bruce Allen

As a WR, forgetaboutit.

Stallworthless's days as a capable wideout were over 3 seasons ago. All he's good for now is special teams play and if you can move a ST player for a draft pick who isn't your returner you do that in an instant

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:18 PM ----------

I'd love to get Palmer for like a 3rd rounder

I would be sick if we did that personally

Carson is not worth that at all. He's not the same player he was 4 years ago

And the present day CP won't be productive 4 years from now

If it was a third and a fourth (as an example) I think that's a good deal for us value-wise. You get your #1 WR, and then don't need to address that position at all with your remaining picks.

I can't see that happening whatsoever. Brandon Marshall is young and he is extremely talented- yes he has issues but even so his on-field production is high when he has a decent QB. He's essentially a #1 receiver with many years ahead of him, which is first-round value or second-round at the very least. I'm not aware of Miami's salary cap situation so maybe they are desperate to make space (based on their roster that's hard to imagine) but rebuilds are based on loading up on young talented guys, so why would they unload a young talented guy in BM? Plus it is helpful to have a #1 WR when you bring in a rookie QB (see Cam + Steve Smith).

IMO, any trade for a QB at this point would be pointless. Grossman isn't great, but at least he knows the system. If Grossman plays bad enough to consider a trade, we'd be better off just going with Beck. We have enough talent on offense to get by. We should deal with what we have, and draft some playmakers next year.

I disagree.

Now would be a very good time to kick the tires on some of the young expirenced QB's in the league

Guys like I mentioned and other guys like Jimmy Clausen would be very benifical for this team because it would allow them to sit and learn this system this year

And it would obviously open up next years draft so that we weren't locked into drafting a QB in round one

I would agree with you that bringing in someone to take the role of starting QB right now would be foolish

But with the younger guys you bring them in now so they can sit and learn this year and be ready for next year

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:24 PM ----------

I think even though Hank hasn't gotten on the field yet, we're invested in him as a future WR for our team and if he needed to be on the field, there wouldn't be such a huge drop off from Dante.

Hankerson in 2011 has 0 balls thrown to him and obviously no catches because the coaches aren't letting him play

Stallworthless in 2011 has 8 targets (a target is how many balls thrown to him in games), 2 catches for 16 yards receiving

The drop off here between the two guys is nothing.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:26 PM ----------

Yes, we should make a move.

We should move our young wide receivers from the bench to the field.

Amen brother, Amen

Keep on please

Lots of fools here need to understand this wasn't a year we were supposed to compete in

That this was the year for developing rookies

Get them rookies on the field and stop the damn nonsense of "Lets trade for (insert name of some guy the poster heard of before)" posts

Why not? Palmer is a good QB. It can't be that hard to learn Shanahan's system

Even if you ignore the whole "is Palmer still a good QB" debate, this is the single worst idea I've heard this season. QB is not a position you get good value for in a trade and you absolutely can not expect a guy to come in and contribute immediately without the benefit of a full offseason. The system is not that easy to learn and, even more importantly, it can take quite a while to build chemistry with your receivers, blockers, and coaches.

Donte would not be worth anywhere near that much to anyone. We could maybe get a conditional 6th for him at best.

Sorry about that; I didn't mean that you implied it, I was just making a general statement of others bringing him up. Some just think that he's the greatest thing out there, and IMO he isn't.

With Hankerson, expectations for him were high, but that candle quickly blew out; much like the receiver last year, who seemed very promising in preseason, for the likes of me I can't remember his name. Its hell to be old...:D

Sorry about that; I didn't mean that you implied it, I was just making a general statement of others bringing him up. Some just think that he's the greatest thing out there, and IMO he isn't.

With Hankerson, expectations for him were high, but that candle quickly blew out; much like the receiver last year, who seemed very promising in preseason, for the likes of me I can't remember his name. Its hell to be old...:D

Larry Michael talked about Hankerson on Redskins' Nation earlier this week; he expects him to be a factor "sooner than later."

Hankerson in 2011 has 0 balls thrown to him and obviously no catches because the coaches aren't letting him play

Stallworthless in 2011 has 8 targets (a target is how many balls thrown to him in games), 2 catches for 16 yards receiving

The drop off here between the two guys is nothing.

Exactly my point! Thanks! :) If we could dump Stallworth for ANY draft picks, I'd be stoked! Work that magic, Bruce! And get Hank on the field, Mike!!

there is not really anyone that i would be interested in getting. i have never liked brandon marshall.

we really dont have much to offer. we could trade a wide reciever, but i doubt we will get much, if anything in return.

we could also live without one of our tight ends, but cooley is still looking hurt and his trade value is really low.

as much as i like our rb's, thats prolly the best position to trade. its not unreasonable to think that we could fetch something decent for hightower or torain to a competing team that needs a running back. then bump up royster from the practice squad to our reserve back. but honestly, since we seem to be in the playoff race, they'll prolly be more valuable to our team.

I'd like to see Terrance Austin get more reps, too. He was killing it in the pre-season. Happy to see AAA coming back (hopefully). But honestly, the only move I would make would be a young QB like a Flynn or a young MLB who can come in and be groomed. But I truly believe we will grab Donta Hightower in the first round next year, so that may be low on the radar.

We have 9 draft picks, that's a lot of ammo to move up and around the board. Let's hold on to them unless there is a steal out there for the taking.

I'm glad Larry Michael indicates Hankeron being about ready o be unleashed because its been insane that they haven't given the kid a sniff. People are so hyper of dropped balls but I get hyper over actual play making. He has the play making ability. None of the other sure handed guys are doing anything with those hands and not even getting open.

Brandon Marhsall is a poison pill team chemistry is going very well we don't need anyone perceived as a off field or malcontent on the roster right now. Rex is already on shaky ground don't need a petulant wr highlighting the fact with gestures or snide remarks in the media.

I'd rather develop a diva then trade for one. lol

I wouldn't turn down Brandon Marshall for pennies on the dollar, but this seems incredibly unlikely.

In a perfect world (for me) we'd trade Stallworth and/or Armstrong (very over rated on this board, IMO) for that young developmental offensive lineman who got away.

I'm assuming there's some young guy behind an established starter on another team that we'd have loved to draft but couldn't for some reason. Everyone talks about QB and WR around here, and rightfully so, but I really think our OL still needs depth and hopefully above average future replacements.

Archived