Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Al Davis

ixcuincle

Al Davis was a revolutionary owner whose vertical passing attack changed the way the game is played. He was integral to the AFL-NFL merger, and his landmark antitrust lawsuit against the NFL allowed owners to move their teams without opposition. His last decade and a half as owner was somewhat anti-climactic, and far less successful than his earlier years, but he was still a force to be reckoned with right up to his death. Say what you will about the man, he loved football, and he loved his "Raidahs."

RIP Al. Your like will not be seen again, in this league or elsewhere.

Al Davis was a revolutionary owner whose vertical passing attack changed the way the game is played. He was integral to the AFL-NFL merger, and his landmark antitrust lawsuit against the NFL allowed owners to move their teams without opposition. His last decade and a half as owner was somewhat anti-climactic, and far less successful than his earlier years, but he was still a force to be reckoned with right up to his death. Say what you will about the man, he loved football, and he loved his "Raidahs."

RIP Al. Your like will not be seen again, in this league or elsewhere.

Not to mention the whole hiring of black and hispanic head coaches and females in the front office.

Not to mention the whole hiring of black and hispanic head coaches and females in the front office.

Amen brother. Well said. He led the way in so many things. As much as I STILL hate the Silver and Black for that '84 debacle, I respect the man for what he did. A man ahead of his time for much of his ownership.

Thanks for all you did Al. The NFL wouldn't be what it is today, without alot of Al Davis did. If he didn't force the issue to get an eventual NFL-AFL merger; we would've never had the "Superbowl".

Raiders fans though have to wonder. He's a big reason they stunk the last decade but now Al is gone; will the franchise even be there. I think a return to LA is quite possible now. The Raiders will probably be sold and moved to LA.

I found one of Bang's old cartoons(2008) about Al Davis over on the bills message board. Its actually pretty funny. He's dodging the grim reaper while he's talking to his lawyer, his doctor, and accountant. I can post if anybody wants to see it. I don't think its really in bad taste, simply its pretty funny, and in no way IMO making light of his death, but that he's old. But I don't want to offend anybody regardless.

Despise not liking him that much lately, I find myself a little bit confused and sad today.

Because if I look at the NFL and the game I love today, I have to admit that I owe him a lot for that.

So RIP Mr. Davis. I feel sorry for your family and the whole Raiders Nation that really looks like ours.

Archived