Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| The Theory of Mike and Bruce's Draft Gerontophilia ( welcome new SOW draft gurus)

rd421

There's an interesting balance in drafting between production versus potential. In the NBA, production is almost completely ignored for "potential" but I wonder if that's the reason why so many doghouse teams tend to stay in the doghouse.

I like the idea of drafting seniors who show they are really good at what they are supposed to do rather than going for someone who's more of a question, but could be exciting. I think the question gets harrier when you're choosing between an A++ Junior on the physical potential scale and a B Senior on the potential scale who's an A on the production scale.

You do have to keep an eye on both. So far though, it seems like Shanny and comp value the player more than the potential and after years of looking almost entirely at the potential side of things, it's a relief.

Steve, I thought when you originally brought up the point about only drafting seniors a while back, it was incredibly interesting and insightful. I'm glad it didn't just get lost in the shuffle!

Amazing article, by the way. Very well written, very interesting.

rd421, I'm not going to lie. I thought that your articles were going to be "just another" blog when you first started them. I've been impressed, and regularly read your site now. That's quite an accomplishment for what basically started out as a fan blog like many others, and your radio appearances, interviews, etc. continue to separate you from the crowd. I'm glad that what seemed to start as a hobby seems to be blossoming into a bit more.

And I promise you that partnering with steve, d&s, and Tris can only help your popularity. Redskins-related draft content is still a pretty small niche, when you're talking about in-depth, obsessively researched work, at this point. This early in the year especially. Having them as guest contributors is a very smart move, I think.

Good work, all of you, and I wish you continued success.

Wow man thanks a ton for the Kind words! Everyone involved in SOW wants to put out the best content possible it's so great to hear that you guys are enjoying the site. I can promise it's only going to get better!

This thread uses the word Gerontophilia which means "old man love." Doesn't make sense in the title. But getting past that, Why not get guys with good track records and that can make plays? Why do we have to settle for a guy that has some upside and is raw? Is it because Mel Kiper and all the rest of the draft gurus think that this guy is better than that guy? **** Kiper, McShay and the rest of them. I love the way these guys are drafting and it is working. I guess these guys are running out of things to pick at.

This thread uses the word Gerontophilia which means "old man love." Doesn't make sense in the title.

What? :ols: It makes perfect sense.

I kind of notice that about this years draft, but I didn't know that it was all the drafts and he took it a step further with the accolades. I am not surprised though, Stevemcqueen always brought it when it comes to research.

Let's not get hasty here, but we can immediately scratch some guys off of our QB list then. Like Ryan Tannehill.

Ryan Tannehill is a senior.

Andrew Luck is a redshirt junior, but he's already graduated.

Robert Griffin is a junior due to injury, I believe he has also already graduated.

Other actual seniors in this QB draft class include:

Kirk Cousins

Ryan Lindley

Nick Foles

Brandon Weeden

Kellen Moore

Case Keenum

G.J. Kinne

Chandler Harnish

Dominique Davis

John Brantley

Austin Davis

Dan Persa

Stephen Garcia

Jacory Harris

The only names that aren't actual seniors academically are Landry Jones and Matt Barkley. I don't believe either are true targets.

I also think we're going to make a play for Matt Flynn if he hits free agency, and we'll draft a top senior prospect such as Nick Foles or Ryan Lindley.

Honestly I think it's more happenstance than law. Underclassmen are normally 1st and 2nd rounders. Anything past that and you're much less likely to pick an underclassmen. 15 of the 58 underclassmen were 1st rounders, I'm sure the 2nd is much the same, much past that and there may be 25 underclassmen for the remaining 190 picks. So basically 3 of our picks weren't underclassmen, and 1 of them was o-line, who are typically seniors. So that means 2 of our picks who had a good shot at being underclassmen, weren't. I think it's foolish to think we're aiming for seniors or that we'll pass on Luck or Griffin or another great prospect because they are juniors.

Honestly I think it's more happenstance than law. Underclassmen are normally 1st and 2nd rounders. Anything past that and you're much less likely to pick an underclassmen. 15 of the 58 underclassmen were 1st rounders, I'm sure the 2nd is much the same, much past that and there may be 25 underclassmen for the remaining 190 picks. So basically 3 of our picks weren't underclassmen, and 1 of them was o-line, who are typically seniors. So that means 2 of our picks who had a good shot at being underclassmen, weren't. I think it's foolish to think we're aiming for seniors or that we'll pass on Luck or Griffin or another great prospect because they are juniors.

Luck and Griffin are academic seniors. Football juniors.

Your site's iPad functionality is damn impressive. Well done.

You can save it to your homescreen on iPad iPhone and iPod touch and it works just like an app :) thanks a ton!

Also this write up was not me it was the first contribution from stevemcqueen1

Shanahan's drafts dramatically improved over his last few years in Denver, making me a little less apprehensive about him doubling as HC and de facto GM (let's be honest here, Allen is only there to manage the cap and do salary negotiations).

those are his main roles but i think Shanahan wanted an experianced voice of reason to say this guy will be a good fit nope this guy wont type deal. Or Allen is presenting the players and shanahan chooses and the fit a style that ALlen wants so the next HC can come in and wont have to rebuild.

Archived