Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this defense still lacking a true NT?

SkinsHokieFan

The thing that I learned from being on here is that this is just another thread by a fan trying to fix a problem that isn't a problem. The reason why the Cowboys ran the ball well wasn't due to them dominating the middle but from running off tackle or wide. The poor tackling or angles from McIntosh and other players made those runs effective. Cofield and Neild are doing excellent at the position but can't make every play. What do you expect them to do? Manhandle 2 or 3 blockers? No NT in the NFL can do that. At least they are making plays that Haynesworth or any other DT we had was able to make. Go back to the last 2 or 3 years and look at how our DT and DE's were and look at these first 3 games are. You will see the difference in the NT play.

Running game problem wasn't with D-Line, our LB's and safeties missed tackles.

Brian Orakpo was out, and on the run to the left Rob Jackson and LaRon Landry both crashed on Fiametta (the fullback) and neither went to the tackle. This stuff gets worked out in time with practice and reps. The other one (up the middle) was a missed tackle by Rocky McIntosh.

This is essentially it.

If you think about a future "core" going forward, you have Jenkins, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Landry.

I would like to see another big time playmaker in the front 7

I think you would want to add a NT and ILB to that front seven and you'd be set for a long time. I think you can get away with having one guy at each level who is just average. If we have Jenkins and a future NT on the line, the other end can be just a guy. Same goes for the LBs...with our bookend OLBs already in place, we'll need to replace London in the next year or two with a stud ILB. If we do, the fourth guy is pretty irrelevant (and can potentially be someone already here). In the secondary, you can probably move forward with Landry, Barnes, and a couple additions.

Again, this is long-term. I think players like Cofield, Bowen, Fletcher, Atogwe, and Hall are fine for the next couple years. If we add a core defensive player or two in each off-season, we'll be very tough on that side of the ball very quickly. You have to imagine with players like Nield, Jackson, and some other younger front-seven players, we have a decent set of rotational guys already.

One of the dissapointments from Monday night was the Cowboys ability to run the ball. 4.8 YPC (yes they were skewed by big runs, but those count) along with only 1 tackle for loss by our defense.

Arizona was also able to run the ball well in the 2nd half with Beanie Wells.

Is Coefield the right clog in the middle? Or should there be consideration this offseason to make a move at NT, and have Cofield and Bowen play end?

we are lacking alot more than a nose tackle

I think Barry can play end. I am not sure if Jenkins is a NT though

Chris Neild gets a lot of push at the NT spot. I don't think Barry gets enough. I am confident we could get Barry to perform well at end. Maybe draft another NT in the top 4 rounds next year, move Cofield over to End and get rid of Gholston. Gholston has been horrible.

That being said, he (Cofield) is doing well holding the center at the point of attack, but he gets little to no push in the backfield, especially on passing downs.

Anthony Bryant. He was a journeymen and was an upgrade over Kemo but that doesn't say much. Neild actually plays on special team which is something that Bryant could never do.

I hear you.

I guess we do need to draft someone.

Dammit ... was really hoping this upcoming draft would be all QB/OL/ILB.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 11:07 AM ----------

Neild had 18 snaps against Dallas and is playing very well. He is a true NT but is also getting push up the middle against the pass and is holding his own (and ground) against the run. He is ahead of schedule and getting better.

The front seven on defense is night and day better than last year - add a healthy Jenkins and the form he showed before he was hurt and we are in good shape up front on defense. ILB is a place we may spend a high poick next year though - London can't play forever and while Rocky is doing better than last year he is not making many impact plays.

I wouldn't argue that the DL is much, much better than last year. I agree.

The OLB situation is also better. However, we are still weak in the middle of the LB corps which is important in a 3-4 scheme. I hope we get one stud and another young development guy (unless Riley is progressing).

As for Neild, any thoughts around the likelihood he could become our starting NT by end of season? We could slide Cofield into the DE rotation next season and pick up a young NT in the later rounds of the 2012 draft to rotate in with Neild.

Chris Neild gets a lot of push at the NT spot. I don't think Barry gets enough. I am confident we could get Barry to perform well at end. Maybe draft another NT in the top 4 rounds next year, move Cofield over to End and get rid of Gholston. Gholston has been horrible.

That being said, he (Cofield) is doing well holding the center at the point of attack, but he gets little to no push in the backfield, especially on passing downs.

I don't think we have the luxury of spending a 1st thru 4th round pick on a NT. We need QB/OL/ILB.

As for Gholston, I think he was just a depth guy. If we can upgrade him with a younger DL later in the draft (rounds 6, 7) that would be good for us.

Archived