Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this defense still lacking a true NT?

SkinsHokieFan

One of the dissapointments from Monday night was the Cowboys ability to run the ball. 4.8 YPC (yes they were skewed by big runs, but those count) along with only 1 tackle for loss by our defense.

Arizona was also able to run the ball well in the 2nd half with Beanie Wells.

Is Coefield the right clog in the middle? Or should there be consideration this offseason to make a move at NT, and have Cofield and Bowen play end?

I'm not sure to be honest. I would guess that our DL isn't the issue though. On 2 runs that added up to 65 yards, we had linebackers with clean shots at the running back and just miss. Rocky missed Jones on the 25+ yard run up the middle. It would have been about a 3 yard gain. Jackson missed Jones on the run to the left right at the line of scrimmage. To me, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the DL. As for Arizona, I remember them having the most success when they spread us out and ran out of the shotgun. Again, not really indicative of bad OL play unless I'm missing something.

Having said all of that, I don't know if Coefield is the right man for the job or not. Overall, we seem to have a good mix of talent and can expect a slight improvement next year when Jenkins is healthy enough to start again.

Honestly, I have to say yes. It is common knowledge that you CANNOT build a trulyy effective 3-4 without the nose tackle. The prototypical nose tackle is Vince Wilfork and/or Casey Hampton. (I know, I know - Ratliff is a nose tackle in a relatively effective 3-4 but in my opinion, that isn't typical).

I love the Cofield signing. I think he is great. Great attitude, great leader, great motor. During the monday night telecast Gruden pointed out how we are building a Pittsburgh 3-4 defense and compared Rak and Kerrigan to Woodley and Harrison (a bit of a stretch at this point but maybe someday), Landy and Polamalu (fair) and then they compared Cofield to Hampton. Wrong. He's not that guy. I know he is on the wrong side of his 20's but I think signing Abreyo Franklin in addition to Cofield would have been great. I think on third downs etc, Cofield has the speed and quickness to penetrate and add pressure but as a protypical 3-4 he just isn't enough of a fire hydrant. He doesn't eat enough space. He doesn't really demand double teams consistently either. I love the guy but I agree with your premise here. I think we are still in need of a prototypical 3-4 nose.

In my opinion, we're three players away (an MLB, a CB, and a dominant end) from being an elite (top 3) defense. It's unfortunate that we won't be able to use this upcoming draft to get some of the better ILB prospects to come out in a long time (Vontaze Burfict, Luke Kuechly, or Manti Te'O).

Chris Neild has played hard & made some good plays subbing for Cofield vs Dallas... Jenkins coming back next year healthy will be like having an extra draft pick & adds depth.. It would be great to have a Raji or Ngata ... Just have to wait & see if Jenkins can be that guy next year with Neild, Cofield.. Plus Bowen, Carriker(how long is he signed?)... That's better depth up from than then Skins have had in years..

I really feel like we are i just didn't want to bring it up.

I like Coefield a lot but i think he would be better at DE and not NT. I think he's too small to play NT. In a 3-4 your NT needs to take up two blockers, so far just about every game he has been blocked with just one. Especially in the Giants game. Bass (spelling??) imo totally controlled him. Yes, Coefield is def making plays for us but i think in order to really stop the run we need to get a bigger guy in there.

But i think we have bigger needs still over NT. But maybe a 2nd round pick next season would be nice. Thats if someone is worth it obviously.

I'd take Phil Taylor in a heartbeat.

Like Cofield but unless he improves he isn't the guy. Should be a solid/good depth guy for the longterm though, nothing wrong with that.

I can see us looking strongly at NT in the first round.

You don't typically draft NT's in the first round... Great NT's can be found around the 3rd

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 02:54 PM ----------

There are quite a few big bodies coming out next year with some potential.. If we trade back and acquire another 2nd... expect us to be looking at guys like Alameda Ta'amu out of Washington, or pairing J. Jenkins with his old partner in crime Brandon Thompson from Clemson

We were missing tackles. I don't think the D-line has a lot to do with it. Barry does what Barry is supposed to do in a 3-4; he absorbs blocks and frees up the linebackers to blitz and make the tackles. I think our d-line is doing a lot better job of collapsing the pocket and absorbing blocks. I think Jarvis was going to be more of our run stuffer. But that leaves the onus on our linebackers and our safeties to make tackles. With Landry back, I expect the run D to improve, but I saw a couple times where Rocky missed a tackle that sprung Felix. OJ and Landry and Reed have whiffed on a couple tackles too.

Hell, I was shocked when I saw that LONDON didn't tackle someone well.

I guess you could say that our d-line needs to do a better job getting off their blocks to make tackles, but I think that'll improve more as the season goes on. They are not getting blown back off the ball like they would last season; if they're not collapsing the pocket or stopping the run, they're at least holding their ground and not letting teams push them around.

We were missing tackles. I don't think the D-line has a lot to do with it. Barry does what Barry is supposed to do in a 3-4; he absorbs blocks and frees up the linebackers to blitz and make the tackles. I think our d-line is doing a lot better job of collapsing the pocket and absorbing blocks. I think Jarvis was going to be more of our run stuffer. But that leaves the onus on our linebackers and our safeties to make tackles. With Landry back, I expect the run D to improve, but I saw a couple times where Rocky missed a tackle that sprung Felix. OJ and Landry and Reed have whiffed on a couple tackles too.

Hell, I was shocked when I saw that LONDON didn't tackle someone well.

I guess you could say that our d-line needs to do a better job getting off their blocks to make tackles, but I think that'll improve more as the season goes on. They are not getting blown back off the ball like they would last season; if they're not collapsing the pocket or stopping the run, they're at least holding their ground and not letting teams push them around.

I think the slick field had a lot to do with the missed tackles. Our guys just couldn't move like they were used to.

Give Neild some more playing time please. You dont find that many gems in the 7th round. The kid was a monster against the Giants and proved his worth against a very good offensive line. When he subs in,he makes good plays. So our true NT might be spending more time riding the bench.

Other teams get instant success from their rookies. Why cant we? Ever???

I honestly don't see the D-line as an immediate need going forward. We've addressed it real well this past off season.

With a combination of Cofield and Nield at NT; and Bowen, Carriker, and Jenkins at end, all who'll be 28 and under at the start of next year; with hopefully Doug Worthington, who I thought was unlucky not to make the 53 when Jarvis went down, and the big ass NT Chris Baker as youth pushing on the practice squad; we're lucking pretty darn healthy for once on the defensive line going forward. (I excluded Golsten and Scott as I don't foresee either here in 2012.).

Hail.

Other teams get instant success from their rookies. Why cant we? Ever???

Kerrigan is developing into a real monster.

Jenkins was on the same trajectory until he tore his ACL

Helu looks like he was a great pickup.

When he gets his opportunities, Nield has performed well.

DeJon Gomes, Niles Paul and Hankerson are still developing. Certainly no one on the team has expressed any reservations about whether these rookies are ever going to "get it". Overall, this draft was like night and day compared to the Vinny years.

In my opinion, we're three players away (an MLB, a CB, and a dominant end) from being an elite (top 3) defense. It's unfortunate that we won't be able to use this upcoming draft to get some of the better ILB prospects to come out in a long time (Vontaze Burfict, Luke Kuechly, or Manti Te'O).

Did I miss something and the Redskins have no draft picks?

I couldve sworn Haslett said earlier that Jarvis was going to play end and not NT like some of you have mentioned.

Yes, he played DE in the preseason before his injury. Cofield is a huge improvement at NT. If the Skins can get an even better NT then I'm sure they'll move Cofield to DE with perhaps spot duty at NT. I'm happy with the DL and it's only going to get better.

My primary concern was our lack of penetration and pocket collapsing from the middle against Dallas.

That interior o-line was terrible. But we weren't getting the interior penetration I expected

To be fair, Romo sits to pee was dumping the ball pretty quick which is exciting to know that teams are now becoming fearful of our D. If we played the screen better, we'd be all set.

Archived