Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Santana Moss loves beating Dallas

themurf

6115206454_5ecc42019d.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

[Editor's note: This is part two of an exclusive one-on-one interview with Redskins receiver Santana Moss. To read part one, please click here.]

Twice during the first two weeks of the 2011 season, the Washington Redskins have opted to keep the offense on the field and go for it on fourth down.

In both instances, the ball was put in the hands of receiver Santana Moss, and both times the veteran receiver came up huge when his team needed him most.

Washington’s biggest play of the season thus far came on 4th-and-3 in the fourth quarter, when the Redskins trailed the Arizona Cardinals by two scores with just over five minutes remaining in the game.

Rather than turning to kicker Graham Gano, who continues to blow easy opportunities, head coach Mike Shanahan asked his offense to step up and make a play when the game was on the line.

Quarterback Rex Grossman dropped back and delivered a ball to the back corner of the end zone, where Moss hauled in an 18-yard score to pull Washington within two points with 5:17 left in the game.

Perhaps the most impressive part of the play is the fact that Moss swears he wasn’t aware it was 4th down. He was too focused on being ready if the football was thrown his way.

“Did I catch a fourth down pass,” Moss asked after the game. “I didn’t even know. When you’re out there, you’re just trying to make plays regardless of what down it is. I sometimes don’t know what’s going on out of the field. I’m just looking at that play.

“When I’m out there I just go back to thinking about practice and how I did this in practice,” he continued. “How was it when I was tired in practice? Mentally, I’m everywhere, but I’m not worried about the downs or situations. I’m just trying to make a play because my team is calling on me right now.”

Clearly, that mindset has served Moss well, especially against next week’s opponent – the Dallas Cowboys.

In 11 games against Dallas as a member of the Redskins, Moss has 68 catches for 990 yards and six touchdowns.

Some of the 32-year-old’s best performances have come against Washington’s biggest rival, and Moss admits it’s not a coincidence.

“The Redskins-Cowboys games are something I remember watching growing up,” he said. “To get a chance to be a part of that — and to be here with the team I always felt I should be with — it inspired me to go out and play my best against Dallas. I couldn’t tell you why I’m able to have more success against them than some other teams, it just happened that way.

“I don’t really circle that game on the calendar or anything,” Moss added. “It’s just, when those lights come on with a chance to play on the biggest stage — every game is big to me — but for some reason the lights just shine a little brighter when it’s the Redskins and Cowboys.”

It should come as no surprise that Moss’ favorite game of his NFL career came in 2005 against Dallas. He also cites his three touchdown performance against the New York Giants his first season in Washington and the overtime thriller against Jacksonville in 2006 as other personal favorites.

This past offseason, Moss had the opportunity to leave the Redskins and sign elsewhere as a free agent. In his words though, that was never really an option. But the question had to be asked – why stay in Washington where there is never a shortage of drama?

Click here for the full article.

Rather than turning to kicker Graham Gano, who had failed to convert either of his two attempts this season, head coach Mike Shanahan asked his offense to step up and make a play when the game was on the line.

Hey Murf, at the time Gano was 2 of 3 on the day, with the miss being a block, and 2 of 4 on the year. Where'd you get that bolded part from?

You just have to love Moss as a Skins fan. The guy is a class act through and through. He knows how bad Skins fans want to beat "that team next to the Fort Worth Airport" and always shows up to play hard when we face them. Glad to have him back and see him finish his career in the burgundy and gold!

The only qualm I have is about Gano and his aptitude for blowing "easy opportunities". No doubt he missed an easy FG in game one, but was the block legitimately his fault?

---------- Post added September-21st-2011 at 10:26 PM ----------

You just have to love Moss as a Skins fan. The guy is a class act through and through. He knows how bad Skins fans want to beat "that team next to the Fort Worth Airport" and always shows up to play hard when we face them. Glad to have him back and see him finish his career in the burgundy and gold!

I won't ever forget the 2 touchdown, 4th qtr performance. Who can? He is truly the Cowboy killer. Gotta love him.

Perhaps this is why Shanny makes decisions based on practice, and isn't curious if players can somehow perform better on gameday:

“When I’m out there I just go back to thinking about practice and how I did this in practice,” he continued. “How was it when I was tired in practice? Mentally, I’m everywhere, but I’m not worried about the downs or situations. I’m just trying to make a play because my team is calling on me right now.”

Perhaps this is why Shanny makes decisions based on practice, and isn't curious if players can somehow perform better on gameday:

That's a very solid observation on your part. It's definitely clear in covering the team this year that Shanahan puts a premium on players who practice like they play. Gone are the days of Portis and Haynesworth standing on the sidelines in baseball caps. This coaching staff wants guys who put in the work all week long so they can see results on game day.

Archived