Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Santana Moss still plays for Sean Taylor

themurf

6167543849_676d0ed447.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

If it was up to Santana Moss, the Washington Redskins would have been the only NFL team he’s ever known.

But, as the University of Miami standout quickly learned, life rarely goes according to plan.

Moss was still on the board when it was Washington’s turn to pick in the 2001 NFL Draft, but the Redskins used the 15th overall pick on a different receiver – Clemson’s Rod Gardner.

The New York Jets selected Moss with the very next pick, and the 5-foot-10 receiver was on his way to the Big Apple.

“The night before the draft, everyone said the Redskins had me at the top of their board,” Moss said. “And then, I guess something changed and I went to the Jets. I wasn’t mad because I got drafted, but once I finally got the chance to come here, it felt like I was finally in the place I needed to be.”

While it wasn’t exactly a secret the Redskins were interested in Moss in the days leading up to the draft, the front office did a good job of holding their cards close to their proverbial chest.

“I never met with the Redskins before the draft,” he said. “I had heard a lot — especially the morning of the draft — but I never got a chance to meet with the team. I just kept hearing that was the place I was going to end up.”

Although he left Miami as the school’s all-time leader in receiving yards with 2,546 yards, ranked third in career receptions (143) and career touchdown receptions list (19), Moss was the fourth receiver taken in the 2001 NFL Draft.

“David Terrell, Koren Robinson and Rod Gardner,” Moss said without missing a beat. “Those are the guy taken ahead of me.

“It was said that if I was an inch or two taller, I would have been the first receiver taken in the draft,” he said. “I think that’s kind of harsh because I think I showed throughout my college career that I can play, even at this size. Now, you see guys my size drafted high all the time. People don’t even think about it anymore — if a guy has speed and can do more than one thing, they get picked high.

“I don’t look back at it like I should have been picked higher,” Moss continued. “I’ve always believed everything happens for a reason and maybe I helped break that stereotype about smaller receivers. I don’t know. I probably had something to do with that.”

After four up-and-down seasons in New York, Moss was traded to the Redskins for wide out Laveranues Coles. While Moss was grateful the Jets were the team to give him his first chance in the NFL, he admits he couldn’t have been happier about being shipped to Washington in time for the 2005 season.

“It really did feel like this was the place that I was always meant to be,” he said. “Coming here really gave me the chance to show the world everything I could be when I have the ball in my hands. In college, I had the ball a lot — returning punts, running reverses and everything. But the Redskins really showed everyone else how to best use guys like me.

“Honestly, I feel like that trade helped re-write my career,” Moss continued. “Those four years in New York were hard because I really didn’t feel involved in that offense. Yeah, sure, I was a guy who could run fast and go deep, but that’s not football. When I got the chance to come here and get the ball in my hands more often it really re-defined who I was as a player in this league.”

Moss isn’t kidding. In his very first season in Washington, he set the franchise’s single-season record for receiving yards with 1,483 yards.

During this exclusive one-on-one interview, Moss also talks about playing for Joe Gibbs, the real Clinton Portis and what Sean Taylor meant to him. Click here for the full article.

Damn I got love for Santana. He's been one of my favorite skins for a long time and I feel like sometimes friends of mine that don't watch the skins as much have more respect for his talent and work than people on here. He has meant so much to this team and to hold the franchise record for receiving yards is no small feat. He has been consistently great on a team with, to put it nicely, subpar offenses and quarterbacks. No matter what offensive scheme or the players around him, he has simply produced and wanted to be here and give it his all.

I am so happy we locked him up for the next few years and that he is going to go over 10,000 career receiving yards with us. Again, that is no small feat. I'm glad to see him upping his touchdowns with Grossman and I think this is going to be another great year for Moss. For all the annoying things he did, listening to Moss makes me wish fans/I could have gotten to know a guy like Portis the way he did, let along Taylor.

Moss is all heart and that is what I hope fans remember most about him when his career comes to an end. If this team is able to win a championship by the time Moss is ready to hang it up, he may arguably be a Hall of Famer.

I would love to be able to talk to him and get his autograph. I'm student teaching right now and my teacher has an autographed picture of Tony Romo sits to pee hung on the wall. He constantly talks smack about how wonderful Romo sits to pee is. I would love to have a true Redskin player that is willing to do all he can (including lose money) to play for his team sign a pic and send it to me so I can then start talking smack about that. Our students love getting in the mix too. Tana to me, is far more of an example than ..... Romo sits to pee.......... He really is a true Redskin.

I would love to be able to talk to him and get his autograph. I'm student teaching right now and my teacher has an autographed picture of Tony Romo sits to pee hung on the wall. He constantly talks smack about how wonderful Romo sits to pee is. I would love to have a true Redskin player that is willing to do all he can (including lose money) to play for his team sign a pic and send it to me so I can then start talking smack about that. Our students love getting in the mix too. Tana to me, is far more of an example than ..... Romo sits to pee.......... He really is a true Redskin.

Tell your teacher that even after last week's win, the Cowboys are just 2-7 in Romo sits to pee's last nine starts including the playoffs. That should shut him up. If not, feel free to puncture his lung.

Great article. The trade of Coles for Moss is right up there in my book with the Oliphant for Byners, etc. Moss is a true Redskin, a Cowboy killer, and a good guy on and off the field. He doesn't get enough credit around the league for being a top 15 receiver despite the talent around him. As a Terp the U has always had a special place for me because of guys like him. RIP ST21.

He literally said everything that I could've wanted him to say. Can't wait for the second part of that article!
Very nice, cant wait for part 2!

I've always really liked Moss and think that much of what he's accomplished here has gone under appreciated. I think because he's content to go out and do his job while keeping quiet off the field, people tend to overlook his accomplishments. I guess it's always easier to write about those players who seek the spotlight. But it was really cool for Moss to carve out some time to do this and it was surreal for me to be able to talk to him about so many topics I hadn't really heard him discuss much in the past.

Thanks again guys for checking out my content.

I think he is very under appreciated..just b/c he doesn't put up major fantasy points every week. Which seems to be the basis of what people consider a good player no a days.

What he brings to our team cant be measured in fantasy points. And the fact that he has done it so many years with such poor talent around him is amazing. I really appreciate what him and CP did for us.

I have the most respect for Moss just because he stuck it out here during the darkest days, and still want's to be a Redskins for life. He could have gone to some Superbowl team this off season to try and get a ring but he stuck it out here. He loves us more than we love him. Us fans need to show Moss how much he is loved and appreciated for he's giving so much to us. If their is anyone on our team that deserves a ring (a long with Fletcher) It's Moss.

Archived