Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How concerned are you about Trent Williams?

ThePreciating

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Monty is competent at center, but we really need to upgrade our guards. I'm really enjoying watching this good Dolphins OL play early on.

Shanahan prefers small guards who can run in space. He's had 2 years to upgrade his guards and all he's done is signed an undersized guard from the Ravens. I think it's clear he's satisfied with who he has.

If Trent Williams is hurt and is a detriment to the offense's ability to operate then he does not need to be out there. So there is no pass/excuse for a knee boo-boo that happened in the first quarter. His pass blocking is atrocious and he spends most of his time getting physically dominated and pushed back into the QB's lap. He's good for at least 2 sacks against top end pass rushers and honestly I'm surprised no one has mentioned his lack luster run blocking. Trent rarely caves in a D-Linemen and is most of the time neutralized off the snap or pushed back into the backfield. If it wasn't for the zone blocking scheme this would be a just as noticeable problem as his pass blocking.

OL is not QB he doesn't need 3 seasons to grow into a position that takes the elite LT's half a season to get comfortable with coming out of college. I honestly do not believe Trent possess the mean nasty streak that it takes to play in the trenches in the NFL nor do I believe he has the self discipline to work at his trade to become a dominant OL. His God given ability is enough for him and that will make him an avg NFL LT. He'll show us a great play here and there, even give us a great game or two but anyone expecting a year in year out pro bowler in the mold of the great LT's of NFL history is probably going to be disappointed.

Now after dumping on TW I hope I'm wrong and hope he can figure it out.

Shanahan prefers small guards who can run in space. He's had 2 years to upgrade his guards and all he's done is signed an undersized guard from the Ravens. I think it's clear he's satisfied with who he has.

If that's the case, Grossman should be REAL worried going forward.

Chester looks like a back-up, and Lichtensteiger and Montgomery, all be it the latter a center; have it ALL to prove going forward that they can be consistent starters in this league. And if the early signs are anything to go by, they've a WAYS to go in pass pro. Montgomery's the strongest lineman we have and he's been manhandled with ease in both the exhibition games and yesterday when protecting Rex.

Hail.

He's been cycling the interior linemen quite a bit when you consider where we were at the start of last year. We've gone from Dockery, Rabach, Hicks to Lichtensteiger, Monty, Chester in that span. I wouldn't say Shanahan considers the position set. It seems like he's still experimenting.

Chester was a utility backup interior guy with the Ravens and that's probably what he'll be here. I doubt he even finishes the season as the starter if he keeps playing like he did yesterday.

If that's the case, Grossman should be REAL worried going forward.

Chester looks like a back-up, and Lichtensteiger and Montgomery, all be it the latter a center; have it ALL to prove going forward that they can be consistent starters in this league. And if the early signs are anything to go by, they've a WAYS to go in pass pro. Montgomery's the strongest lineman we have and he's been manhandled with ease in both the exhibition games and yesterday when protecting Rex.

Hail.

Shanahan would rather have the guy that can run in space and spring a RB for a big gain on first or second down than a lumbering guard who can pass block well on 3rd and 10 or crash the line of scrimmage for a 3 yard gain and a cloud of dust. That's just not something Shanny has ever had any interest in.

Not defending it necessarily, just saying that's what it is. He had the same thing in Denver.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 08:01 PM ----------

He's been cycling the interior linemen quite a bit when you consider where we were at the start of last year. We've gone from Dockery, Rabach, Hicks to Lichtensteiger, Monty, Chester in that span. I wouldn't say Shanahan considers the position set. It seems like he's still experimenting.

Chester was a utility backup interior guy with the Ravens and that's probably what he'll be here. I doubt he even finishes the season as the starter if he keeps playing like he did yesterday.

I don't know that it's set, but I think we can expect that whoever it is, he's going to be athletic and undersized, and probably struggle in straight-up pass protection on 3rd and long.

Not defending it necessarily, just saying that's what it is.

Not a big fan personally. When it works in the run game, with a one cut and go back, it can lead to some real productive gains. But I hate the trade off of lighter, more athletic linemen getting beat down in pass pro.

Maybe it's being brought up under Gibbs, or maybe it's the fact I like my QB upright; but I much prefer a power run game with bigger linemen who'll contribute in both facets than the ZBS system.

But it is what it is so long as Mike's the HC.

Hail.

how quickly you guys forget. do you remember heyer, trent is good jpp is going to be great, he is our best run blocker and he has to go against the top pass rusher for every team every game. he is going to make mistakes, just like samuels or any other all pro lineman, its the nature of a 300lb football player going up against a linebacker/fast de these are the guys that beat him he isnt getting bull rushed by players, he is getting ran around. give the line the break its about offensive production we had almost 400 yrds of football, but it had nothing to do with the oline, just the sacks is all you guys remember.

I noticed that too. I'm hoping to see Al get flat-backed soon.

(And I'd say Joe Thomas is the best LT in the league, but just my opinion :D)

I like Thomas too but I agree with PFF's take on the matter. They've got Long graded out as the top pass protector over the past three seasons and I think Long grades second or third.

Both are generational talents building HoF credentials from day one onward so you can't go wrong either way.

But I thought it was worth noting that even Jake Long is human and gets abused during a series from time to time. By two former Redskins no less.

People expect their LTs to be absolutely flawless I guess but that's just not going to happen. The position is so incredibly difficult to thrive in much less excel.

Trent is actually a good starter by the standards of the rest of the league.

If Trent Williams is hurt and is a detriment to the offense's ability to operate then he does not need to be out there. So there is no pass/excuse for a knee boo-boo that happened in the first quarter. His pass blocking is atrocious and he spends most of his time getting physically dominated and pushed back into the QB's lap. He's good for at least 2 sacks against top end pass rushers and honestly I'm surprised no one has mentioned his lack luster run blocking. Trent rarely caves in a D-Linemen and is most of the time neutralized off the snap or pushed back into the backfield. If it wasn't for the zone blocking scheme this would be a just as noticeable problem as his pass blocking.

OL is not QB he doesn't need 3 seasons to grow into a position that takes the elite LT's half a season to get comfortable with coming out of college. I honestly do not believe Trent possess the mean nasty streak that it takes to play in the trenches in the NFL nor do I believe he has the self discipline to work at his trade to become a dominant OL. His God given ability is enough for him and that will make him an avg NFL LT. He'll show us a great play here and there, even give us a great game or two but anyone expecting a year in year out pro bowler in the mold of the great LT's of NFL history is probably going to be disappointed.

Now after dumping on TW I hope I'm wrong and hope he can figure it out.

Oh boy.

First, Trent didn't get hurt in the first quarter. He got hurt late in the third quarter. He got bullrushed by JPP, and his knee buckles underneath him. When he turns around, he clearly grabs at his knee. I'm not saying he didn't get beat on the play, because he did. But it was clear that his play after that suffered.

1pWkLrOqPA0

Second, maybe I'm wrong, but if Chris Cooley and Fred Davis don't bump into each other on this play, the balls comes out a lot earlier, and maybe Rex gets hit, but he doesn't take a sack. Still would've been a bad play from Trent, but sometimes it's more than just the tackle.

Third, it's really funny the things people chose to ignore when it comes to players they already have a pre-conceived notion.

"I don't think Trent Williams has a mean streak". Who was the first dude in that stupid fight on Monday Night Football? Trent. Who have the receivers and other linemen said they usually have to pull away from a fight in the trenches? Trent.

"An offensive linemen doesn't need 3 years/he'll never come a Pro Bowler". First, a lot of left tackles never become Pro Bowlers. Second, Chris Samuels (who's name gets bought up ad nauseum when it comes to Trent) wasn't great right off the bat.

"I don't think he has the self-discipline". Pretty much every single player who was asked about Trent commended him for coming in to camp in much better shape and in a much better mindset than he left. This, after an offseason of everyone, their mother, their aunt and their cousins made a big deal out of him not coming to the player led workouts. Mike's also praised Trent for coming in and being a much better pro than he was last year.

Fourth, pretty much all preseason Trent played well. I don't see "Trent played well" threads, pretty much ever. I won't say he doesn't need to be more consistent, because he does need to be more consistent. But if you didn't like Trent when we drafted him, and you didn't like Trent last season, it's not bloody likely to matter what the guy does, you're just never going to like him.

I like Thomas too but I agree with PFF's take on the matter. They've got Long graded out as the top pass protector over the past three seasons and I think Long grades second or third.

Both are generational talents building HoF credentials from day one onward so you can't go wrong either way.

But I thought it was worth noting that even Jake Long is human and gets abused during a series from time to time. By two former Redskins no less.

People expect their LTs to be absolutely flawless I guess but that's just not going to happen. The position is so incredibly difficult to thrive in much less excel.

Trent is actually a good starter by the standards of the rest of the league.

I'm not ready to bury Williams yet. However he had an average to below average rookie year and his behavior was pretty bizarre during player run camps. Yesterday he was abysmal and that was without Tuck and Osi on the field. I have high expectations for a player taken #4 overall and so far IMO he's performing below expectations. I too want more Joe Thomas and less Jason Smith out of the Silverback.

I wouldn't be concerned yet. D'Brickashaw Ferguson had a really rough couple of years.........what can you say about him now?

That's a fair comparison. Both taken at #4 (Brick 2006, TWill 2010), have similar physiques with Twill being the more athletic of the two. If I remember right Brick's first two year were rough while he’s obviously has turned it around making the pro bowl the last 2 years. Let’s hope TW’s turnaround starts this week in practice and Sunday at 1pm.

Looks like trent might have the same personal trainer that haynesworth skipped OTA's in 2010 to train with. And we all know how well prince albert did on his conditioning test after an off season of training hard on his own... If trent is smart he'll stay close to Redskins Park this offseason. Otherwise, I can see him possibly becoming the next Robert Gallery... looked good at the combine but never lived up to expectations. Trent is the reason I'm uncomfortable drafting Offensive Linemen early in the first round. There's an obesity problem in this country people! There's fat guys everywhere. Give me a playmaker who can help put points on the board...

Everyone says Trent came into camp in better shape, coaches, players and media alike, WHY does this get conveniently ignored?

He appeared to have shed some weight. That doesn't always translate to better shape, just ask Haynesworth who did the same thing last year and then proceeded to take a nap on the field. It's his play from yesterday the you are ignoring. But hey...we WON the game and I'm just pointing out areas of improvement.

Oh boy.

First, Trent didn't get hurt in the first quarter. He got hurt late in the third quarter. He got bullrushed by JPP, and his knee buckles underneath him. When he turns around, he clearly grabs at his knee. I'm not saying he didn't get beat on the play, because he did. But it was clear that his play after that suffered.

Second, maybe I'm wrong, but if Chris Cooley and Fred Davis don't bump into each other on this play, the balls comes out a lot earlier, and maybe Rex gets hit, but he doesn't take a sack. Still would've been a bad play from Trent, but sometimes it's more than just the tackle.

Third, it's really funny the things people chose to ignore when it comes to players they already have a pre-conceived notion.

"I don't think Trent Williams has a mean streak". Who was the first dude in that stupid fight on Monday Night Football? Trent. Who have the receivers and other linemen said they usually have to pull away from a fight in the trenches? Trent.

"An offensive linemen doesn't need 3 years/he'll never come a Pro Bowler". First, a lot of left tackles never become Pro Bowlers. Second, Chris Samuels (who's name gets bought up ad nauseum when it comes to Trent) wasn't great right off the bat.

"I don't think he has the self-discipline". Pretty much every single player who was asked about Trent commended him for coming in to camp in much better shape and in a much better mindset than he left. This, after an offseason of everyone, their mother, their aunt and their cousins made a big deal out of him not coming to the player led workouts. Mike's also praised Trent for coming in and being a much better pro than he was last year.

Fourth, pretty much all preseason Trent played well. I don't see "Trent played well" threads, pretty much ever. I won't say he doesn't need to be more consistent, because he does need to be more consistent. But if you didn't like Trent when we drafted him, and you didn't like Trent last season, it's not bloody likely to matter what the guy does, you're just never going to like him.

Oh Boy another Homer

1. If your defense is his injury hampered his play then you prove my point that he was a detriment to the offensive game plan moving forward from that moment and should not have been out there. Pretty clear point I thought, guess not. Let me try again, if you are on the field and healthy enough to play then you can't claim injury as an excuse when you were only hurt. Also every player, especially at OL, play hurt at some point in the season.

2. Fred Davis, Chris Cooley, and Sexy Rexy blah blah blah how about the LT just block?

3.Here is were you really took a turn for the worse. Your entire argument is based upon your preconceived opinion on Trent, oh and factual error's but I'll show you in point 5, so please get off your horse, here's a ladder in case it's a little high.

4.Talking trash is not exactly a mean streak on the football field. I'm a little confused do you think it's the same thing? See talking trash is just that... Trash talking. Any moron can talk trash, doesn't mean they have mean streak. Here are 2 examples, D Hall is trash talker and Landry is a mean player.

5. Chris Samuels went to the Pro Bowl in his 2nd and 3rd year, and I believe was an alternate his rookie year, yea that guy sucked early in his career.

6. Well I'm seeing the same caliber play that he displayed last season. Sometimes, just sometimes players and coaches will tell a little white lie about a certain player. Ask me about Taylor Jacobs and his Jerry Rice type practices sometime.

7. Go re-watch the Colts preseason game before you tell me how great Trent played in preseason. Remember the game in which he gave up 2 sacks.

Now next time don't come off as such a condescending Homer rewriting Redskin history and I won't respond as the preconceived "Hater" you think I am.

Archived