Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could losing Manning assures another decade of success?

ZRagone

So while reading a bit about the issues with Peyton's neck a thought came to me. Some are suggesting Peyton could be out all year, if not be forced into retirement. That its hard to say with these kind of neck injuries. We have seen the Colts without Peyton and they've looked less than imposing. Meanwhile the Colts have a relatively tough schedule. Houston and the Titans both seem formidable. They also play the AFC North with the Steeler, Ravens, and improving Browns and the NFC South with the formidable trio of Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tamp Bay. They also have New England and Kansas City as random games. Not a cupcake setup for them.

Much has been made of how good the Colts are with Manning, and how bad they are without. Some suggest there's no team more dependent on their QB to be near the level they're at than the Colts. They've been lucky with over a decade of Peyton manning the helm.

What if they get another Decade?

I don't think its ridiculous to suggest that if the Colts don't get Peyton back all year that they could fall to become one of the worse teams in the league. Throw in a few injuries on Defense and you could have the receipe for potentially the worst record in Football.

What that could mean for Indy though is that Peyton would've gotten injured at the perfect time...at a time they could perhaps get the "next Peyton" in Andrew Luck or one of the other big name QB's in the draft this upcoming year. They could, through their misfortune, find themselves with another decade lasting Franchise QB.

Do you think, if Manning's out all year, the Colts could end up being bad enough to land a top 5 pick, if not the number 1? How must the football gods be smiling on the Colts if they manage to replace Peyton Manning after more than a decade of success with Andrew Luck?

Do you think, if Manning's out all year, the Colts could end up being bad enough to land a top 5 pick, if not the number 1? How must the football gods be smiling on the Colts if they manage to replace Peyton Manning after more than a decade of success with Andrew Luck?

Outside of the receivers they have the Colts are in trouble

Addai sucks, Donald Brown sucks, they drafted a new RB this year who couldn't move up the depth chart which doesn't say they got much for that

Defensively there best players Freeney and Mathis are over 30

But I think that Collins can still get it done for them with guys like Wayne and Dallas Clark

So I would be highly shocked if they were bottom 5 this season and if I had to put the guess of percentages of it happening I'd go no higher then 10% possibility

Highly unlikely, highly...they are in trouble but won't be one of the worst teams this year

People forget that one of the big reasons for Indy's success was the fact that they went 3-13 in Peyton's rookie year (1998). That allowed them to get Edgerrin James with the 4th pick in 1999. There is no doubt that Peyton was/is the primary reason for Indy's success, but I don't think they are nearly as successful early on w/o Edge in the ground game.

People forget that one of the big reasons for Indy's success was the fact that they went 3-13 in Peyton's rookie year (1998). That allowed them to get Edgerrin James with the 4th pick in 1999. There is no doubt that Peyton was/is the primary reason for Indy's success, but I don't think they are nearly as successful early on w/o Edge in the ground game.

But let's not forget that Marshall Faulk was traded away after Peyton's rookie year in '98. I think Peyton would have been just fine if the Colts would have held onto Faulk for the next 4-5 years.

But let's not forget that Marshall Faulk was traded away after Peyton's rookie year in '98. I think Peyton would have been just fine if the Colts would have held onto Faulk for the next 4-5 years.

They traded Faulk away but they drafted Edgerrrin James, who was a studly workhorse running back for them for most of the next 7 years.

they drafted a new RB this year who couldn't move up the depth chart which doesn't say they got much for that

You're talking about Delone Carter. For one, he was drafted in the 4th round, so it's not like he was expected to be a world-beater right off the bat. Secondly, he's already worked his way up to second on the depth chart behind Addai, who is made of glass. He'll probably be starting by mid-season, and looked like the best back on the field for them. I'd say it was a pretty good pick.

You're talking about Delone Carter. For one, he was drafted in the 4th round, so it's not like he was expected to be a world-beater right off the bat. Secondly, he's already worked his way up to second on the depth chart behind Addai, who is made of glass. He'll probably be starting by mid-season, and looked like the best back on the field for them. I'd say it was a pretty good pick.

Haha

Yet we drafted Helu and we expect him to be the moment he hits the field

Yet DC has next to ZERO competition unlike RH at the position and hasn't taken the 2nd string job yet

http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/depthchart?team=IND

Oh wait I just saw that DC had moved to #2 on the week one depth chart...I stand corrected

I say that he has nothing in his way from getting the job so give it to him.

Archived