Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP (George Will): Colorado's Fresh Brew

Stadium-Armory

Sun, beer, and a governor who was a successful business person, understands fiscal responsibility, but doesn't want to tell you who to marry or pray to. What more do you want? Seriously though, its refreshing to see a purple politician who is getting it done. Maybe there *is* hope for us after all.

By: George Will

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/colorados-freshbrew/2011/08/30/gIQAOqexsJ_story.html?hpid=z1

Colorado’s fresh brew

By George F. Will, Published: August 31

DENVER

“Beer,” said Benjamin Franklin, who knew a thing or two about pleasure, “is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” If so, perhaps He wanted John Hickenlooper to be Colorado’s governor. Hickenlooper is a double rarity, the first brewer to become a governor (well, if you don’t count Sam Adams and Thomas Jefferson, the amateur), and, in this time of political dyspepsia, he is a happy man whose constituents seem reasonably happy with him.

People may be happier here because sunlight is filtered through less — a mile less — of the atmosphere. And because, Hickenlooper says, Colorado has become “the Napa Valley of Beer,” and Denver is “the Munich of the West.” He deserves some credit for this state having 142 licensed breweries.

Born near Philadelphia, Hickenlooper studied geology and came to Colorado during the 1980s energy boom. Then came the bust and he was cashiered. Looking around for something to do, he noticed that for five years no one had opened a restaurant in downtown Denver, where the sidewalks were rolled up at dusk and rents were just $1 a square foot. He opened a brew pub — then opened others, here and around the country, in old railroad stations and other buildings that were, like him, ready for a new use.

Read the rest..

I see you're up the street in Boulder. I've been here in Denver for about 3 months now. In my adult life, I've lived in DC, Charlotte, Columbia SC, San Antonio, Seattle, and now Colorado.

Denver if BY FAR the nicest place I've ever lived. You coulnd't pay me to leave Colorado and move back to the DC area :ols:

Clietas, we've got Phish here for three nights starting tomorrow. Hell yea I'm going every night.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 07:18 PM ----------

I like Colorado and I like George Will and I like beer. And how can a guy named Hickenlooper be bad?

He's a likable goofball. Every day guy, not particularly good looking; done well for him self. A good model in my opinion.

If this guys is so keen (yeah, I said keen) on beer, I hope he has changed their no beer on Sundays law that was in place when I was there 8 years ago. Hadn't seen those kind of ridiculous laws since I lived in the bible belt.

Georgia just voted to allow cities and counties to decide for themselves whether or not to allow beer/wine/liquor sales on Sundays. It's on my city's ballot (Smyrna) in November, and polling is looking good. It's about damn time.

Nothing worse than dropping the ball, opening the fridge at noon on Sunday and seeing you only have 2 beers to get you through a day of football

Colorado seems a little too slow, laid back, remote for my tastes. But after living on the uber deadline conscious East Coast maybe that's the appeal.

You're exactly right, but it's actually a good thing. I grew up in DC until 20, then lived in other big cities like Seattle and Charlotte (not so big, but yeah). After dealing with the "hustle and bustle" of bigger cities, the slightly slower change of pace is refreshing. Denver is definitely a "big city," but it doesn't have to feel like it if you don't want it to.

Denver is a great blend of all types of life. With almost 4 million people, the Denver metro has a ton of stuff to do. There is a huge "hip" scene here. Live music all over town, downtown loft types. bars, lounges, clubs.

Plenty of performing arts. Plenty of sports (Denver has more pro sports teams than ANY other city in America :) )

You can LITERALLY see the Rocky Mountains from anywhere in town. ANYWHERE.

a nice dining scene. plenty of shopping. They have a complex metro system of trains and buses which makes it easy to get around the city.

You can live the "urban life" if you live in city limits or the immediate suburbs. But at the same time, the mountains are less than an hour away many folks live on the foothills in rural areas and commute to the city. less than an hour away from all kinds of camping, hiking, biking, fishing, etc.

the traffic isn't bad.

and compared to DC, the cost of living is laughable. we were able to build a brand new house for $220k in one of the nicest suburbs in Denver, and some of my friends paid more than that for a condo in the crappy parts of PG county :ols: :ols: :ols: Being such a big city, I did not expect Denver to be SO cheap.

Okay, I'm done. :)

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 05:32 AM ----------

Oh, and did I mention the views? :)

610x.jpg

My friends refer to me as 'the mayor' of Colorado since I up-talk it all the time. Skins_Fan82 has got me beat though, and I couldn't agree more.

If I had to sum it up in a single phrase, I'd say: life is accessible here. And to put that in terms that this group can relate to, I can get to Invesco from my house in Boulder, in game day traffic, in 45 minutes.

Also, lots of IT companies and startups are here. Not just a bunch of pot smoking hippies. In fact, I might argue that the culture is in some ways more driven from a career standpoint, but in a slightly different way. Its the wild west, and the 'thing to do' is a startup. What fun is working for the federal government, or a big contractor like Ratheon or Northrop Grumman? Boulder is dotted with them all over the place, and venture capitalists are noticing.

All the chicks here are beautiful too. Healthy, smart, beautiful girls.

If this guys is so keen (yeah, I said keen) on beer, I hope he has changed their no beer on Sundays law that was in place when I was there 8 years ago. Hadn't seen those kind of ridiculous laws since I lived in the bible belt.

You could buy buy beer on Sundays/holidays in Colorado, it just had to be 3.2%. That law was changed in the summer of 2004 I believe.

Archived