Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas will win the NFC EAST

bh32

Anything's possible, but their defense will have absolutely nothing to do with it. If he wasn't the twin brother of Mr. Happy Feet, no one would give this dude a second thought. He's not only the most overrated defensive coordinator in the league, he's a bad one to boot.

I think that every team has some questionable things about them, and some more than others. It is true that every team in the NFL has the chance to be a good team in a given year. There are always surprise teams who people didn't expect to be good that manage to get to 10-6 or better and make a playoff run. There are far more teams whose fans don't see the potential negative side of those question marks, or don't want to think about it.

Take the Redskins for example. In my opinion we have two big questions with our team: Will we get good enough production out of the QB position, and will our defense turn around after their bad transitional year. Most of the fans around here have been realistic all off-season, some have been suicidal without justification, and recently with the performance of the Rex and Beck show others have perhaps become overly optimistic. If we get good QB play, even with a sub-par defense we can compete- last season showed that. If we get good QB play and an improved defense as we anticipate we could overtake the Giants for that #2 spot in the NFC East, but not likely the #1 spot from the Eagles.

The Cowboys were 6-10 the same as we were. Was it Tony Romo sits to pee's injury? No, they were 1-4 and on their way to 1-5 when he was knocked out. Sure, the Cowboys played strong for the rest of the season and had a bunch of close games, but their defense was even worse than ours. They allowed the 2nd most points in the NFL last season. They have also had a rough off-season. Their question marks are as follows: Will the offensive line sink or swim? Will Tony Romo sits to pee stay healthy for an entire season? Will their secondary and linebackers be as bad as they were last year? Why have they not improved their personnel at key positions on the defense? Sure they drafted some O-Linemen and that might work out just fine putting a rookie offensive lineman out there against Orakpo, Kerrigan, Tuck, perhaps Umenyiora, Jenkins, Cole, etc. for 6 games out of the season. But what have they really done to get better other than fire Wade Phillips last season? Is that enough?

Now for fans of any team of course the answer is "I think we will/can" do I think that our QB situation is going to work out and we'll have a starter who can run this offense well enough to get us to 8-8 or better? You bet your ass I do. Is my line of thinking necessarily prudent or in line with reality? As much as I'd love to dream that it is, I know that it isn't because I'm realistic. Do I think that our defense is going to be much improved over last year? Yes. I can substantiate that with smart moves on the defensive line, a good draft, good pickup of Atogwe, smart changes at the CB position and a 2nd year in what was a brand new defense. At the same time I know Haslett has never been outstanding as a coordinator, I know that our beast DT Jarvis Jenkins is out for the season, Landry is hurt and might not be the same/100% for a while, and Rocky McIntosh is still a Redskin. Will we really be all that much improved? Of course we will! Will we REALLY? Umm...maybe not...

Will all the things I listed go the Cowboy's way? They need them to if they're going to go 10-6 or better and make the playoffs. They need their unproven hodgepodge offensive line to protect Romo sits to pee sufficiently and open holes for the run game, or the fact that they have Austin, Bryant, and Jones means nothing. They need their secondary to spontaneously stop being bad. They need their new D-Coordinator to do the same. They need Jason Garrett to prove he's a real head coach. They need their linebackers to step it up, they need anybody on that defense other than Ratliff and Ware to play well basically.

Ask a Cowboys fan even after a less than stellar showing in the pre-season if they think the Cowboys can/will overcome every one of these problems and of course they think they will. Of course they think they have a shot, they're a little overboard saying they're superbowl bound, but we have some overly optimistic fans ourselves. This is a magical time of year, every team has promise and potential, and once the season starts, more than half of the fans in the league will get punched in the face by reality. We all hope its not us and its the other guy, but we can't ignore that for the better part of 18 seasons its been us, and the better part of a decade its been them. Oh well.

The only way they'll win the NFC East is with some ninja text ;)

SEriously though, what is hidden from that post is 3rd or 4th best record in the NFC East. No way they are winning the East. Not with that defense, and not with that quarterback.

I'll give you the defense.....but the quarterback? Are you serious? He just won it two season's ago...

I'm assuming you think that the skins have negative chance to win then since they don't even have someone most observers would qualify as a qb?

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 10:42 AM ----------

Unless Dallas has the greatest scouts ever in the history of the NFL, how can anyone feel comfortable with a 7th rounder and a UFDA starting on the offensive line after 1 month of practice?

I see the point, the only thing I will say is Jay Ratliff was a 7th and Tony Romo sits to pee and Miles Austin were undrafted. Dallas has done well in the latter rounds, I'm hoping they come through again.

I see the point, the only thing I will say is Jay Ratliff was a 7th and Tony Romo sits to pee and Miles Austin were undrafted. Dallas has done well in the latter rounds, I'm hoping they come through again.

Tony Romo sits to pee - No playing time year one, no playing time year two, no playing time year three... year four busts out.

Miles Austin - No catches year one, 5 catches year two, 13 catches year three...year four busts out

Jay Ratliff - very little playing time year one, rotation guy year two...busts out year three.

All of the above, hell you've got dallas fans in this very thread saying he's going to improve thier D. If that guy's last name wasn't Ryan he would be coaching college ball somewhere. Dallas fans use the excuse "well he didnt have talent" ... outside of Ware, the defense is below average. Who cares about past probowls when you fall completely off the cliff next season.

Take Mike Jenkins for example, the guy was outplayed by Scandrick his rookie year, puts together a good second half of the season his sophmore year (2nd alternate probowl selection) , then reverts back to form year 3. Cowboy fans will overlook that he only went to the probowl due to other CB injuries, and say he is a probowler coming of a lackluster year. Disregarding the fact that he has shown repeatedly that he lacks heart (remember that giants game?) and has only played adequetly in a handful of games.

You are just talking about he defense. The OP talked about the team as a whole. I agree that I don't think they win the NFCEast, but I really haven't seen "any" Cowboys fans in this thread say they are winning the East.

Tony Romo sits to pee - No playing time year one, no playing time year two, no playing time year three... year four busts out.

Miles Austin - No catches year one, 5 catches year two, 13 catches year three...year four busts out

Jay Ratliff - very little playing time year one, rotation guy year two...busts out year three.

Ok, here are some immediate players from the 7th that they have drafted

2004-

Nate Jones 7th round- 31 tackles

Patrick Crayton- 7th round- 12 catches, 12something yards and a td.

Last Year

Chris Gronkowski was our starting FB and was undrafted.

Other Notable undrafted players:

Barry Church- some think he will take over one of the safety spots this year. Undrafted last year.

Costa- Obviously has shown enough to boot off Gurode, undrafted last year.

Sam Hurd- 2006

Steven Bowen 2006

Kevin Ogletree 2009- should be our 3rd wr this year.

The Cowboys have been pretty successful in recent years in UFA and late roun picks. They have an eye for this stuff...so therefore I trust them.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 12:41 PM ----------

You are just talking about he defense. The OP talked about the team as a whole. I agree that I don't think they win the NFCEast, but I really haven't seen "any" Cowboys fans in this thread say they are winning the East.

I'm certainly not expecting to win the East but this is the NFL....ANYTHING can and usually does happen. No team has no chance to win the east. Even the Skins! :)

There is no area of defense in which Rob Ryan's units excelled in or even played well. Points, yards, sacks, yards per play...

Except that time they were #2 in the NFL, right?

I'll admit I haven't researched those defenses, I'm just going off of what I remember as a Cowboys fan paying attention as the season went along and whatever I've absorbed from the media reports since he joined the Cowboys. It seems like we're both saying the Cowboys defense is so bad that Rob Ryan can't save it. Why are we arguing over exactly how bad he was in Oakland and Cleveland?

Except that time they were #2 in the NFL, right?

I'll admit I haven't researched those defenses, I'm just going off of what I remember as a Cowboys fan paying attention as the season went along and whatever I've absorbed from the media reports since he joined the Cowboys. It seems like we're both saying the Cowboys defense is so bad that Rob Ryan can't save it. Why are we arguing over exactly how bad he was in Oakland and Cleveland?

I think the argument is that Rob Ryan can't save anybody. Even that year they were #3 (not #2) was a mirage. They were #3 total defense in yardage but they were the 8th worst team in rushing yards allowed. And they were 18th in points allowed. They faced the fewest pass attempts against in the NFL because other teams just didn't need to throw on them. That and the Raiders offense was so bad that year that teams just didn't need to throw on them.

Ok, here are some immediate players from the 7th that they have drafted

2004-

Nate Jones 7th round- 31 tackles

Patrick Crayton- 7th round- 12 catches, 12something yards and a td.

Last Year

Chris Gronkowski was our starting FB and was undrafted.

Other Notable undrafted players:

Barry Church- some think he will take over one of the safety spots this year. Undrafted last year.

Costa- Obviously has shown enough to boot off Gurode, undrafted last year.

Sam Hurd- 2006

Steven Bowen 2006

Kevin Ogletree 2009- should be our 3rd wr this year.

The Cowboys have been pretty successful in recent years in UFA and late roun picks. They have an eye for this stuff...so therefore I trust them.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 12:41 PM ----------

I'm certainly not expecting to win the East but this is the NFL....ANYTHING can and usually does happen. No team has no chance to win the east. Even the Skins! :)

You listed a bunch of late round/udfa that went on to be succesfull DOWN THE LINE. Outside of a FB and a special teamer, none even remotely contributed year 1. Yet, somehow in the shortest offseason ever, a 7th rounder and a UDFA starting on the offensive line will succeed...hmmmm

You listed a bunch of late round/udfa that went on to be succesfull DOWN THE LINE. Outside of a FB and a special teamer, none even remotely contributed year 1. Yet, somehow in the shortest offseason ever, a 7th rounder and a UDFA starting on the offensive line will succeed...hmmmm

Not to mention it was that rookie FB that got Romo sits to pee hurt.

I'll give you the defense.....but the quarterback? Are you serious? He just won it two season's ago...

I'm assuming you think that the skins have negative chance to win then since they don't even have someone most observers would qualify as a qb?

This thread ain't about the Skins, but since you brought us up let us know when your roster has QB that led a team to a SB on it.

Not to mention it was that rookie FB that got Romo sits to pee hurt.

Touche'!

:)

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 04:18 PM ----------

This thread ain't about the Skins, but since you brought us up let us know when your roster has QB that led a team to a SB on it.

Can you really lead a team with a 73 qb rating? I think they carried him, no? If the Bears had Romo sits to pee that year, they would have won the Super Bowl.

Can you really lead a team with a 73 qb rating? I think they carried him, no? If the Bears had Romo sits to pee that year, they would have won the Super Bowl.

Right, because we know having Romo sits to pee on your roster just leads to so much playoff success.

Way too many changes and adjustments on offense and defense for the Cowboys to win the division this year. *Maybe* next year, but not this year, sorry.

How is this different from what they say any other year? Honestly I don't care. I'm too happy with the changes I see in the Redskins organization to care about the cowturds until Dallass week.

:dallasuck Go Skins :logo:

Here's to everyone overlooking the Redskins this season. Especially the Super Bowl bound "Annually" Cowboys.

Here's to everyone overlooking the Redskins this season. Especially the Super Bowl bound "Annually" Cowboys.

Just like last year, week 1, there is no way Dallas will lose to the lowly Redskins, I mean, havn't you read the Redskins are playing for Andrew Luck?

I feel sorry for the NFC East fans that havn't been paying attention in the offseason.

Going to be some shockers, "omg, how did the skins beat us!?"

Whats funny is dallas fans think Jason Garrett is the God of head coaches,so whatever he does wont have a negative impact..lol. I don't understand the love for the guy..He has been with dallas for years and every year that offense has failed to produce when it mattered and don't give some bull**** about how it was wade's fault..

Phil Costa was a UMd player and he was a great pick up by the cowboys. watching him at UMD, he was an animal before the injury and never regained his power but it seems like it is back now. he was suppose to be a 4th-5th round player a few years back

They have liked him since his first day last year. The other 7th rounder, Nagy, his coach at Wisconsin thought he should have gone in the 3rd round.

I remain cautiously optimistic about these guys and have scrutinized their play so far in the preseason. They have really done well. Of course, that could all go out the window week 1 vs the Jets.

Archived