Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Kickoff Rule Question

ACW

I think the change to making it so the kicking team can't get a running start is what makes it "safer." Well, outside of the fact that we'll be lucky to see one a game.

That said, punts have linemen, so there are technically less people running right at each other. But otherwise, I agree. It's dangerous for the same reason, and I don't like it. Makes the game boring.

Also, Hall tonight showed me that you can take a penalty on the PAT and it makes no difference. The ball is going to be kicked through the end zone anyways.

Booorrrrinnngggg! The NFL competition committee screwed the pooch with this rule. Were guys really getting hurt more on the kickoffs then any other time during the game? And by the way, I hated Astroturf with a burning passion, and even though field turf is a little better, it still is "artificial" and doesn't give as much as grass. And it's too slippery, even when it's dry.

The kickoff line last year was the 30 and there were very few touchbacks, which means the ball was landing usually between the 10 yard line and the goal line. Average kick distance somewhere around 65 yards. (From the 30 to the goal line is 70 yards, if the ball went even a yard deep in the endzone, the returner usually took a knee.) Just from my own memory, most of the kicks were caught in front of the 5 yard line.

This year, the kick-off line is the 35, only five yards up. So how come most of the kicks are now going 75+ yards? Almost all of the kicks go out of the back of the endzone, which is 75 yards from the kickoff line to the end of the endzone!

Were the kickers holding back last year? It was only a 5 yard change, but it seems like 15. What am I missing?

Punt returns are VERY dangerous. Note the play we had against the Colts.. that impact looked like a car accident, and that was on a play in which our man was not the reason for the hit.

I think the kickoff rule was something they thought up to use as leverage in the negotiations. It sort of came out of the blue.

they already made a rule banning the wedge (a formation as old as football), that was enough. Maybe I've just had too many beers, but I don't really recall a horrific collision on a kickoff recently that would scare the NFL into a new rule. However, there have been PLENTY of punt returns that have resulted in big hits.

See, I think that is part of the game though. The kickoff SHOULD be reckless. It's really essential football, the first play of every game since Harvard/ Yale... all 11 guys on both teams going breakneck balls out..

If you score, it's like a LIGHTNING STRIKE into the heart of the other team.

How many times have you seen a touchdown, momentum all with one side, and then on the ensuing kickoff, a touchdown, and BOOM, instant destruction of the rally.

More than any other play, a return can SILENCE a stadium.

A punt returner staring at the sky while these gigantic freaks bear down on him is part of the GAME, part of the thrill, part of the daredevil aspect of what it takes to play FOOTBALL.

It's NOT A SAFE SPORT. It NEVER HAS BEEN, and it was NEVER INTENDED TO BE.

Those guys are ****ing CRAZY and that is part and parcel why we love football. For big hits, for crazy guys who will brave these psychopaths and WIN.

When a punt returner catches that ball, sidesteps a sidewinder missile that goes through your TV screen so fast you can't even tell who it is and head upfield, you're cheering, even if he only gets ten yards. You saw that missile coming, and your heart was in your throat. the fact he survived and got ten yards is what we cheer for

I don't know.

Maybe the Vikings, Lions and Packers came up with it to screw Devin Hester.

It really doesn't make much sense otherwise.

~Bang

Punt returns are VERY dangerous.

I think the difference is that it's only very dangerous to one guy. On kickoffs you've got big guys running right at each other.

Personally I miss the kickoff returns. I think next year they should institute a rule that if the ball goes out of the endzone in the air the other team gets it on the 25 or 30. If the returner catches it and downs it or if it hits in the endzone and goes out they get it on the 20.

Also, Hall tonight showed me that you can take a penalty on the PAT and it makes no difference. The ball is going to be kicked through the end zone anyways.

This is a good point that I hadn't considered until last night.

Penalties on extra points don't mean a thing. Kick the opponent in the balls if you want...smack him in the face, body slam the kicker. Unsportsmanlike-like conduct? Oh no!

I hate this new rule and I really wish the NFL would try keeping the same rules from one year to the next. It's not just small changes every year. It is radical game changing rules.

The kickoff line last year was the 30 and there were very few touchbacks, which means the ball was landing usually between the 10 yard line and the goal line. Average kick distance somewhere around 65 yards. (From the 30 to the goal line is 70 yards, if the ball went even a yard deep in the endzone, the returner usually took a knee.) Just from my own memory, most of the kicks were caught in front of the 5 yard line.

This year, the kick-off line is the 35, only five yards up. So how come most of the kicks are now going 75+ yards? Almost all of the kicks go out of the back of the endzone, which is 75 yards from the kickoff line to the end of the endzone!

Were the kickers holding back last year? It was only a 5 yard change, but it seems like 15. What am I missing?

Kickers would try to put more air underneath the ball and kick it to pin the returner to a certain part of the field while trying to avoid kicking the ball out of bounds, this leads to shorter kicks. When kicks were from the 35, a 75 yard line drive was almost always returned for big yards

• 2 weeks later...
Again, I still don't see it...Are guys not running during punt returns?

Kickoffs are much more violent, with more full speed collisions among coverers and blockers. I think the difference is, with kickoff returns, the entire coverage team gets an unfettered, running head start. Ten yards separates the two teams when the ball is kicked. On punt returns, the coverage team is battling at the line of scrimmage occupied with blocking the punt rush. Only then can they begin their downfield pursuit. Only the two ends can release at the snap, and they're often double-teamed.

I completely agree... I was wondering this all weekend. 5 yards up, but the ball is going into the stands....hmmm.

I'm not an overly 'conspiracy theory' guy, but WTF, math doesn't add up.

Archived