Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

You know it took me a while to realize this but something just clicked for me about the way Mike and Bruce draft.

They haven't drafted a single underclassman.

Knowing that now, it seems obvious that they would have never drafted Blaine Gabbert.

Two trends that pop up with this FO are that they like seniors who are high on their school's career production lists (for the stat driven positions) or who have lots of starts/awards (for the non stat accumulating positions).

Go ahead and start ruling out those underclassman QBs, WRs, and defenders that you all like. Start focusing on the super productive seniors.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge on that. If Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn were still on the board do you think we would have selected Kerrigan still? I doubt that. The draft just unfolded where the best 3-4 olb at our spot was a senior. The next two pass rushers drafted were Sheard and Ayers, both seniors, and they went 5th and 7th in round 2, so quite a drop. Now, in the later rounds the draft picks may have been focused on getting disciplined, mature players, but you pick talent in the first round. Perhaps they have some stipulations for maturity and such, but our FO wouldn't go for a Tannehill over a Luck, Barkley, or Jones simply because he is a senior. Now, if it were between Tannehill and Manuel then I think they'd err on the side of experience over upside, but I believe they balance it out. In the first we've seen them go after O-line (predominantly seniors anyways, best 2 at our spot were seniors) and we got the best OLB on the board (we didn't pass on underclassmen for him), so I think it's way too early to say after two drafts that they target only seniors, especially in the first.

People on here are ranting and raving over this Robert Griffin guy. How is he any different than a Joe Webb, Josh Portis, or Josh Johnson...

He is the third version, so he is a upgraded version of 1 and 2 ;)

The QB's you name are first versions....and people love Griffin the college QB not the pro prospect I think.

You know it took me a while to realize this but something just clicked for me about the way Mike and Bruce draft.

They haven't drafted a single underclassman.

Knowing that now, it seems obvious that they would have never drafted Blaine Gabbert.

Two trends that pop up with this FO are that they like seniors who are high on their school's career production lists (for the stat driven positions) or who have lots of starts/awards (for the non stat accumulating positions).

Go ahead and start ruling out those underclassman QBs, WRs, and defenders that you all like. Start focusing on the super productive seniors.

Haven't had time to analyze the whole Broncos history, but out of 12 first round picks, 4 were not seniors:

2008: Ryan Clady (RS Jr)

2002: Ashley Lelie (Jr)

2001: Willie Middlebrooks (Jr)

1998: Trevor Pryce (Jr)

Now maybe this is a new trend, I don't disagree with that. However, I don't think he would limit himself solely to seniors, based on his past history.

The QB's you name are first versions....and people love Griffin the college QB not the pro prospect I think.

No people do love Griffin for the pro prospect ability. He's an exciting player to watch in college, but people feel that he can make the transition to QB in the NFL

I think many people assume he isn't built to be a stud RB, and that the scheme helps him out a lot. He'll be an interesting one to break down.

I think he is a stud and Orengon runs a ZBS. So he would know this running system. He also breaks alot of arm tackles. I watched some film and its hard to bring him down and its not just his elusivenist.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 06:54 PM ----------

Griffin does make NFL reads though.

I think he is a stud and Orengon runs a ZBS. So he would know this running system. He also breaks alot of arm tackles. I watched some film and its hard to bring him down and its not just his elusivenist.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 06:54 PM ----------

Griffin does make NFL reads though.

Yep Griffin does make the reads you want to see. Its a spread offense but when he's sitting back there making the reads, then decides to take off or not

Haven't had time to analyze the whole Broncos history, but out of 12 first round picks, 4 were not seniors:

2008: Ryan Clady (RS Jr)

2002: Ashley Lelie (Jr)

2001: Willie Middlebrooks (Jr)

1998: Trevor Pryce (Jr)

Now maybe this is a new trend, I don't disagree with that. However, I don't think he would limit himself solely to seniors, based on his past history.

I don't think they see it as a limitation at all. I think they see it as a preference.

18 picks approaches three full drafts. That's enough to point to a trend.

Preferring to draft senior offensive linemen is no big deal since almost all OL are seniors. But drafting so many senior skill position players is rare.

Also think about their QB preferences--multi-year veterans with at least five years of NFL experience. Experience and maturity seems to be the most important operative qualities our FO searches for.

Put it this way, I wouldn't bet on Mike and Bruce taking an underclassman in the class until they actually do. I've noticed that some really good coaches who are heavily involved in the drafting process often prefer to draft seniors and award winners. I wouldn't totally rule out Shanahan and Allen from drafting a super talented underclassman so long as the guy has a long history of starts and production in college. But I certainly wouldn't expect them to draft the talented underclassman over the productive senior who might even be marginally less talented.

@LaronBurgundy - I think there was pretty much no chance we'd have drafted Robert Quinn. He had very minimal experience and production, two qualities that our FO seems to value highly.

Beyond that, we had an opportunity to draft him at ten and we didn't. He certainly wouldn't have been a reach at that selection according to the general draftnik consensus. If we valued him significantly more than Kerrigan, then we would have either drafted him or ten or even considered trying to trade up for him.

I actually don't think we valued him more than Kerrigan. Kerrigan fits a profile we like--incredibly productive senior who tied his school record for career sacks and set the NCAA record for fumbles forced, first team All-American, runner up for the Hendricks award, Big 10 DPOY, etc. Quinn had none of that...

Consider the other skill position players we drafted too: Royster is Penn St.'s career rushing leader, Hankerson is Miami's career reception yards leader, Helu top five for career rushing at Nebraska Niles Paul top five in career receiving yards at Nebraska, Aldrick Robinson second in career receiving yards at SMU, and so on and so forth.

Another thing to look for is guys who get conference and national academic first team awards since a lot of our draft picks received that honor.

You know how the Raiders shill for speed? That's their type and their system values it heavily.

Smart, experienced, productive is our type. I'm perfectly fine with that. Shanahan must have picked that up from studying the Patriots because that's exactly the type of player they've been drafting for a decade and it works for them.

we need to replace rocky.. its signed sealed and delivered..

I'm hoping its the lockout that has slowed Riley, and not a lack of starting ability.

But I agree. With the 2nd ILB unsettled and Fletchs age, I don't see how people don't see this as one of our biggest weaknesses.

I'm hoping its the lockout that has slowed Riley, and not a lack of starting ability.

But I agree. With the 2nd ILB unsettled and Fletchs age, I don't see how people don't see this as one of our biggest weaknesses.

I think Haslett had mentioned the other day that the lockout affected Riley. Still think he ends up starting by the end of the season

Actually, come to think of it, our most successful draft picks the past several years have all been productive, award winning seniors for the most part. Joe Gibbs favored them over underclassmen too.

Look at our meager drafts and you see that the guys who actually stuck for at least the duration of their rookie deals were those types of players: Brian Orakpo, LaRon Landry, Reed Doughty, Kevin Barnes, Fred Davis, HB Blades, Chris Cooley, Carlos Rogers, Rocky McIntosh, Kedric Golston, Jason Campbell, etc.

A lot of the high profile guys that flamed out were underclassmen like Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly.

When you think about it, taking underclassmen kind of sucks. Especially outside the top 10-15 picks when their talent advantage is no longer overwhelming. It hasn't really worked for us in a long time.

I don't think we'll draft Matt Barkley or Landry Jones if they declare and are available to us when we draft. It'd also be somewhat surprising if we draft someone like Manti Teo, Vontaze Burfict, or Luke Kuechly if they declare (most of them won't). And you should probably expect us to target the senior DBs like Minnifield, Dennard, or Jenkins over the highly touted underclassmen like Dre Kirkpatrick, Morris Claiborne, Stephen Gilmore, and Cliff Harris.

I also think there is 0% chance we spend a first round pick on an underclassman WR or RB no matter who is available.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say we'll end up drafting someone like Courtney Upshaw, Levy Ad****, or even Andrew Datko if they're available in the first.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/15484006/pack-your-bags-a-scouts-fall-football-itinerary

Andrew Luck can expect lots of scouts to be in attendance when his Cardinal take on a quality opponent like USC. (Getty Images) *

NFL general managers would love to see every one of the top 100 prospects in person during a college football season.

Watching tape is helpful. It gives an evaluator the ability to watch plays repeatedly. But seeing a player "on the hoof" during the game and in practice affords a far better indicator of the player from his physique and interaction with teammates and coaches.

But general managers obviously can't be in two places at once.

That forces all decision-makers to carefully craft a fall schedule that is assembled with matchups that not only allow them to see the best players, but also against the best competition possible, in mind.

Teams looking at Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck as the top overall pick, for example, are more interested in seeing his performances on the road against tough defenses -- Southern Cal or Arizona -- than what's likely to be a huge stat day against San Jose State opening weekend.

The following potential weekly schedule for a general manager during the 2011 college football season includes many of the year's top games, but also tries to minimize duplication in order to see as many of the top prospects as possible.

It's like a big puzzle which, when complete, presents the best possible picture of the 2012 draft class.

Boise State vs. Georgia (Atlanta), Sept. 3

Since this West vs. Southeast matchup kicks off at the same time as the other big interregional contest to be held at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington (Oregon vs. LSU), scouts have a tough decision.

Watching undersized but accurate and productive Boise quarterback Kellen Moore take on an SEC defense might be too interesting to ignore. Georgia's excellent offensive line includes top prospects at left tackle (Cordy Glenn) and center (Ben Jones), while the Broncos bring active Billy Winn and up-and-comer Tyrone Crawford to the party.

Arizona at Oklahoma State, Sept. 8

Oklahoma State, particularly with soon-to-be 28 year-old quarterback Brandon Weeden trying to find talented junior receiver Justin Blackmon using the strong arm he honed during his days in baseball's minor leagues, should put up plenty of points again.

The Wildcats lost three defensive ends to the draft last year, so OSU right tackle Levy Ad**** should have an advantage, but Weeden must be wary of experienced Arizona corners Trevin Wade and Robert Golden. The Wildcats also have a potentially formidable combination of quarterback Nick Foles to receiver Juron Criner; Cowboys safeties Markelle Martin and Johnny Thomas must make plays for the team to succeed.

Oklahoma at Florida State, Sept. 17

This game turned out to be a laugher in Norman last year, with the Sooners winning 47-17. New FSU quarterback, the athletic junior E.J. Manuel, got a chance to play against Bob Stoops' defense last year, however, so he'll have a fair chance to succeed if his receivers and offensive line (including top tackle prospects LT Andrew Datko and RT Zebrie Sanders) do their jobs.

Oklahoma's prototypically-sized pocket passer, junior Landry Jones, also gets another shot at ripping past the Seminoles' defense, though junior defensive end Brandon Jenkins will test an unproven Sooners' offensive line. Look for Jones to unload quickly, therefore, to the ultra-productive Ryan Broyles and other talented receivers.

Arkansas at Alabama, September 24th

Ryan Mallett left for the NFL, affording Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson his chance against a star-studded, Nick Saban-coached Alabama defense. Losing junior running back Knile Davis to a season-ending left ankle injury makes Wilson's life more difficult, he still has one of the deepest receiving corps in the country at his disposal. Greg Childs returns from a knee injury, and Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, and junior Cobi Hamilton will force the Tide's top corner Dre Kirkpatrick (junior) and safeties Mark Barron and Robert Lester (junior) to make plays in the secondary.

The Hogs' defense is not quite as talented as 'Bama's, but one match-up to watch is when the Tide has the ball is defensive end Jake Bequette taking on either junior left tackle Barrett Jones or sophomore right tackle D.J. Fluker -- both potential future first round picks. Arkansas defenders linebacker Jerry Franklin and safety Tramain Thomas are also on NFL scouts' radars.

Nebraska at Wisconsin, October 1

This game already feels like a long-time rivalry even though the Cornhuskers will be playing their first Big Ten schedule in 2011 and the two teams haven't played since 1974. But GMs are less interested in the program similarities and the Saturday Night atmosphere at Camp Randall than they are the intriguing prospect match-ups -- especially when the Badgers have the ball.

The Huskers' defensive line includes the high-motor, underrated athletic Jared Crick and juniors Baker Steinkuhler -- yes, another one -- and Cameron Meredith -- but Wisconsin's line includes future NFL players at all five spots including seniors guard Kevin Zeitler and tackle Josh Oglesby on the right side. All-American linebacker Lavonte David will track down UW's stable of running backs, while undersized press corner Alfonzo Dennard will earn his first round grade against Badgers receiver Nick Toon, as long as the son of former long-time NFL receiver Al Toon has made connections with N.C. State transfer quarterback Russell Wilson.

The NFL combine is an easy way to scout, but its no replacement for seeing players in game situations. (Getty Images) *Boston College at Clemson, October 8

The Red River Rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma might be the "sexy" matchup of the weekend in terms of the national college football radar. But scouts should make the effort to see the stacked Clemson front four taking on an annually solid BC O-line. Junior tackles John Wetzel (taking over for first round pick Anthony Castonzo on the left side) and Emmett Cleary will have their hands full with seniors Andre Branch and Kourtnei Brown, as well as junior Malliciah Goodman. Tigers tackle Brandon Thompson has the strength, hands, and agility to be a first round pick, so BC guard Nathan Richman and center Mark Spinney must be stout to make room for running back Montel Harris (assuming his scoped left knee is healthy by then).

Boston College's top defenders, tackle Kaleb Ramsey, middle linebacker Luke Kuechly (junior) and corner/safety prospect Donnie Fletcher also draw tough assignments in slowing down Clemson's junior duo of speedy running back Andre Ellington and top tight end prospect Dwayne Allen.

Miami (Fla.) at North Carolina, October 15th

These programs have provided the worst off-field stories the past two years, but their talent level is strong enough to still earn the respect of NFL scouts. The Tar Heels' defensive line is loaded again, with top five overall prospect Quinton Coples and up-and-coming Donte Paige-Moss taking on young but huge (they average 6-6, 324 lbs) 'Canes tackles. Tackle Tydreke Powell also has a chance to prove himself against massive junior All-ACC guard Brandon Washington. Miami running backs Lamar Miller (redshirt sophomore) and Mike James (junior) must keep an eye out for speedy UNC linebackers Zach Brown and Kevin Reddick (junior).

Miami also has plenty of talent on the defensive line, with Micanor Regis joining juniors Marcus Forston, Oliver Vernon and Adewale Ojomo as potential impact playmakers. Active linebacker Sean Spence and junior strong safety Ray Ray Armstrong will also try to stop Carolina backs Ryan Houston and fullback Davon Ramsay from getting loose.

Southern Cal at Notre Dame, October 22

The game might have lost luster in recent years, but there is still quite a bit of talent on the field when the Irish host the Trojans -- especially at the skill positions. USC junior quarterback Matt Barkley and Notre Dame's junior passer, Dayne Crist, both have futures in the NFL. Barkley's left tackle, Matt Kalil, also should be a high pick if he declares this year. Scouts will have to wait at least another year before super sophomore Trojans receiver Robert Woods is available to them, but Notre Dame's big-bodied pass-catcher Michael Floyd needs to build on his Sun Bowl MVP performance to make scouts forget his alcohol-related offenses.

Both defenses have fair prospects, as well. Notre Dame senior defensive backs Harrison Smith, Robert Blanton and Gary Gray joining junior linebacker Manti Te'o will try to make plays against Barkley for the Irish, while USC junior defensive ends Wes Horton and Nick Perry, tackle Christian Tupou, and junior free safety T.J. McDonald will be tracking Crist in this nationally-televised match-up.

Michigan State at Nebraska, October 29

College quarterbacks face few tougher tests than the Bo Pelini-coached Blackshirts. Michigan State's Kirk Cousins is one of the top senior prospects at the position, and he'll need to prove his accuracy, mobility and poise against Crick, Dennard, and the rest of the squad noted in Nebraska's earlier match-up against Wisconsin.

Cousins has two solid seniors receivers to throw to, however, in all-purpose threat Keshawn Martin and strong B.J. Cunningham, as well as receiving tight ends in Brian Linthicum and Garrett Celek. The Spartans also have a potential star on defense in junior tackle Jerel Worthy, who faces an inexperienced NU interior offensive line.

LSU at Alabama, November 5

The Tigers and Tide lead one of the strongest weekly schedules of the season, with Texas A&M also travelling to Oklahoma and Arkansas hosting South Carolina. But the two top teams of the SEC West have literally dozens of future NFL players on their rosters, so scouts will flock to Tuscaloosa for this one.

Alabama junior running back Trent Richardson, the top prospect in this game, must avoid a talented but young LSU front seven led by linebackers Stefoin Francois, Karnell Hatcher (who is switching from safety), and Ryan Baker. No matter who is throwing the ball for Alabama, there will be great battles on the outside between lanky LSU junior corner Morris Claiborne, his smallish but tough sophomore teammate Tyrann Mathieu and Tide's solid senior receivers Marquis Maze and Darius Hanks.

Oregon at Stanford, November 12

Oregon's offense may be a bigger opponent for everyone's number one prospect, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, than the Ducks' defense. He may need to lead his team to 50 or more points, as the Cardinal defense failed to stop the Ducks in a 52-31 loss -- their only defeat of the season. He'll need his possible first round value offensive lineman, juniors left tackle Jonathan Martin and right guard David DeCastro, receiver Chris Owusu and tight ends Coby Fleener and Zach Ertz (sophomore) to all make plays. Among those defending all those weapons for Oregon will be junior playmaking corner Cliff Harris and linebackers Josh Kaddu and Eddie Pleasant.

Of course, Oregon juniors quarterback Darron Thomas and small-but-explosive running back LaMichael James will once again test the Cardinal's defensive leaders, junior linebackers Shayne Skov and Chase Thomas. Thomas makes plays with his arm to big receiver Lavasier Tuinei and tight end David Paulson, as well as on the run.

Penn State at Ohio State, November 19

The Buckeyes won't have most of their top players until the sixth game of the year, and they need to give them a couple of games to get back into a playing mentality. Running back Dan "Boom" Herron, left tackle Mike Adams, and receiver DeVier Posey should all have their "game legs" by the time they host the Nittany Lions.

Adams and highly-rated center Mike Brewster attempt to move PSU's Jack Crawford and Devon Still, respectively, so Herron can make hay when the Buckeyes have the ball. Posey, on the other hand, takes on an underrated corner with NFL size, D'Anton Lynn, on the outside.

Texas at Texas A&M, November 24 (Thurs)

This could be the first time in a couple of decades that scouts will be paying significantly more attention to prospects wearing maroon in this fierce in-state rivalry than those wearing burnt orange. A&M's offensive triple threat of quarterback Ryan Tannehill, running back Cyrus Gray and receiver Jeff Fuller should get a lot of attention this season.

Texas' inexperienced corner group will be less green by the time they face Fuller, and Gray will have to avoid a Longhorns front seven with potential breakout players tackle Kheeston Randall and junior end Alex Okafor and solid linebackers Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson. Scouts can't hit the restroom when the Aggies' defense is on the field, however, as corners Coryell Judie (also a good returner) and Terrence Frederick, defensive lineman Tony Jerod-Eddie have pro talent. Super soph linebacker Damontre Moore is also a potential star filling in for 2011 number two overall pick Von Miller.

SEC Championship Game, December 3

The Big Ten holds its first conference championship in Indianapolis on this day, the winner of the ACC will be determined in Charlotte, and Bedlam reigns when Oklahoma travels to Stillwater to take on Oklahoma State. But whether it's LSU or Alabama making it out of the SEC West or South Carolina or Georgia coming out of the East, scouts will likely head to Atlanta to check out the top teams in the country's most talented conference.

Steve Spurrier's Game****s haven't been included anywhere on this schedule, but GMs would love to see quarterback Stephen Garcia throwing to 6-foot-4, 230-pound junior receiver Alshon Jeffery against a top defense for the conference championship. South Carolina also has top front seven defenders in Devin Taylor (junior), Travian Robertson, and Melvin Ingram, as well as secondary prospects Stephon Gilmore (junior), Akeem Auguste and Antonio Allen.

Chad Reuter is Senior Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

I'm pretty interested in Courtney Upshaw. I think he could end up being the best ILB in this class when all is said and done.

I actually don't think Teo or Kuechly declare--I think both are better than Upshaw.

Upshaw was consistently more impressive to me last season than Hightower and Burfict were.

I hope Travis Lewis gets healthy soon because I'd love to watch him play this year.

I don't think we'll pick that high, nor do I think Landry Jones and Matt Barkley are likely to declare. Of course, I thought there was no way Gabbert would declare until we found out Luck decided to return to school.

Tris I know you have keen observations on SEC prospects, what do you think about Courtney Upshaw as a prospect? What do you think about the fact that CBS has him ranked as their top ILB prospect for the class?

I like Upshaw but he'd be a bit unique as an NFL ILB to say the least. From what I saw, a lot of his best play came at the strong side DE spot in Alabama's four man fronts.

I wonder what CBS sees that makes them project him as an ILB instead of a more traditional 3-4 OLB?

That said, the guy is obviously very versatile and before his injury and after it healed, he was extremely disruptive. His background as a DE shouldn't necessarily remove him from consideration at ILB. Upshaw gives us a third outstanding pass rushing LB plus talented blitzers in the secondary. Offenses would have to move to a quick strike over the middle offense and if they started to rely on that we could have Atogwe or Landry or even Fletcher squat on that zone. Plus Upshaw is a good run defender with active hands and is explosive making plays off his frame. He hits freaking hard too when he gets an unsuspecting ball carrier and he's so big and strong that he gets those arm bars and shoe string tackles with regularity.

One base personnel package that I'd scheme up to get Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Upshaw on the field together is Kerrigan on the line at a 7 technique, Orakpo at a 9 technique, and Upshaw blitzing the B gap from the stack. Orakpo and Upshaw could probably even be swapped. Upshaw gives your blitz some sharp teeth because he'd be so much more skilled a passrusher than most ILBs. He can be your best stunting option with a guy like Stephen Bowen. And he can stack up and muscle with interior offensive linemen when they run the ball--let London Fletcher get 180 tackles that season.

That said, I see some problems with starting Upshaw inside. I understand that ILB projection is probably because he's only 6'2, and he's got a better chance holding ground against interior linemen. But there aren't many 265 ILBs out there. He's almost too big and you've got to figure that the coverage assigments in the NFL will be hard for him. Because of that, I bet Upshaw won't be drafted until the late first or early second round at the absolute earliest.

London is a terrific coverage MLB, but he's not going to be here forever. We would probably need to find a really skillfull coverage linebacker to help Upshaw inside to make this work. Maybe even find one as soon as 2013.

Luke Kuechly or Manti Teo in the first in 2013? How ****ing Naughty would our defensive front be then? Especially if we got Upshaw in the second round and someone like Alameda Ta'amu in the first this year.

do you guys think we entertain a trade for a DE? or do we look to acquire another in 2012.

I don't think we'll trade for one. I can't imagine we'd have hinged our plans around a rookie, no matter how good he looked early on.

I think the slack at DE will be taken up by Cofield/Kerrigan/Jackson, etc. depending on the leverage/situation.

We already had two starting caliber ends in Carriker and Bowen, IMO. We'll look for depth, so why not give Phil Daniels a contract? We'd all love to see him back here.

How about trade Ryan Torain for Vonnie Holliday and our 6th rounder back LOL!

Archived