Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I think the most productive thing we could do to start out is identify what positions are in need of immediate upgrade and then depth.

Obviously, this is subject to change, but here are positions I think we should be scouting this year:

QB, WR, G/C, RT

DE, NT, ILB, CB

We'll scout them all at some point but I doubt we'll pay much attention to anything aside from the quarterbacks. Symptom of fielding an improving team?

Defensive linemen don't really seem like much of a need when you've probably got 5 out of 7 positions pretty well spoken for by guys under the age of 27. OLB is also clearly not an area of need.

I personally don't think WR is a need. I didn't think it was much of a need going into this draft and we drafted three more and traded for another (among other FA signings). I doubt we'll pay much attention to the half backs either but that's always the case with Shanahan.

I think the areas of greatest long term need are ILB, RT, FS, and CB and I wouldn't mind seeing us upgrade our guards.

Lots of us think QB is a need and most of us would love to see us draft a potential first rounder like Matt Barkley. I personally don't think that's going to happen because I think we're pretty commited to John Beck.

Here's an early mock: I'd love to see us have a draft where we take a STUD ILB like Manti Teo in the first, a really nice corner like Cliff Harris in the second, and a whole set of talented developmental offensive linemen like Nate Potter, Matt Reynolds, William Vlachos, Mike Brewster, Stephen Good, or Ryan Miller with our three picks in the third and fourth rounds.

I'd especially like to snap up Brewster, Good, or Miller in that range plus at least one developmental right tackle to start for when JB is done.

Thanks for the new thread, Dukes and Skins. I'll try to add some insight over the course of the coming season as an extra evaluator.

I'll be following the BIG 10 mostly, but I'll check out conference games from the SEC, ACC, and PAC 12 whenever I get the chance.

QB - Head and shoulders the number 1 need IMO.

ILB - Fletcher is close to retiring even though i think he has a year or 2 left in him this is a need coming up very fast

OC - Monty is good but we need more

LG - Lich is ok but not enough we need a LG

i think we should spend our first 2 picks on QB/ILB and then try to obtain a few more 3rd/4th/5th round picks this year and load up on LG/Center/RT/WR/CB because we OK at the position and could take risks for potential steals.

Zooi1-3.jpg

I really looking forward to this NCAA season

- Finally a team is going to run my 4-3 hybrid full time (Gatars, I hope).

- We have a chance to take a look at the most profiled QB since Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck.

- Maryland is going to be a ACC contender with O´Brien and hopefully end in a sportsbrand bowl (Under armour Vs Nike, Terps vs Ducks).

- The Ohio and Miami mess.

- And seeing the next NFL superstars.

Players I will keep an eye on:

- Mr 'to emotional' Burfict

- Mr 'hybrid' Upshaw

- 'The fallen florida star' Jenkins

- Mr. 'to big to be a corner' Kirkpatrick

- The next playmaking Virginia corner Hosley

- 'Dubbel first name' Armstong

- Mr. 'tackling beast' Tate

- Captain Kirk, the Leader of Sparta

and a lot of others

(damm I already missed like 4 pages :drooley:)

So I saw a mock draft where we traded up with Carolina to draft Andrew Luck, despite the fact that we were picking later in the first round. Even if we go 8-8 or 9-7, do you guys think we possibly trade up to get this guy? I'm not necessarily for it, but given his reputation I suppose I can see that happening...

If he's Mike and Kyle's guy, then there's a good chance we trade up. However, it all depends on where we are in the draft. If we're mid to low first round, it would take probably our first and second this year AND next year, at a minimum, to trade up to get him. If we're top 12 or so, it would probably take two firsts and then a second and third this year.

So it is possible, it just depends on HOW possible

I know the center thing got a lot of attention in the last thread, but do you guys have your eye on anybody at that position? I know it's probably a 3rd or 4th round consideration and I'm not writing off Montgomery by any means. I'm more concerned about our depth there. I guess after Montgomery,we've got Cook right now (and Lichtensteiger in a pinch). I haven't really heard anything good or bad about Cook, but my feeling is that this position is still a little unsettled.

Hopefully Montgomery works out, but for depth and perhaps the future, are there any guys coming out next year that stand out?

I'd like to see us draft BPA that fits system, and let the pieces fall where they may. Ideally Beck looks like the second coming of Kurt Warner and we are freed from having to take a QB. I want to see us start drafting like the Ravens. It seems like every year, regardless of need, they are fortifying their OL and defensive front.

Honestly, one of the best things that could happen to us would be a Ngata or Raji like prospect falling into our laps. I would snap him up without blinking and just have him split time with Cofield, who could also play DE.

I also wouldn't mind seeing us take a stud interior OL, in the Pouncey mold. I don't think that is consistent Shannahan's philosophy however.

We'll scout them all at some point but I doubt we'll pay much attention to anything aside from the quarterbacks. Symptom of fielding an improving team?

Defensive linemen don't really seem like much of a need when you've probably got 5 out of 7 positions pretty well spoken for by guys under the age of 27. OLB is also clearly not an area of need.

I personally don't think WR is a need. I didn't think it was much of a need going into this draft and we drafted three more and traded for another (among other FA signings). I doubt we'll pay much attention to the half backs either but that's always the case with Shanahan.

I think the areas of greatest long term need are ILB, RT, FS, and CB and I wouldn't mind seeing us upgrade our guards.

Lots of us think QB is a need and most of us would love to see us draft a potential first rounder like Matt Barkley. I personally don't think that's going to happen because I think we're pretty commited to John Beck.

Here's an early mock: I'd love to see us have a draft where we take a STUD ILB like Manti Teo in the first, a really nice corner like Cliff Harris in the second, and a whole set of talented developmental offensive linemen like Nate Potter, Matt Reynolds, William Vlachos, Mike Brewster, Stephen Good, or Ryan Miller with our three picks in the third and fourth rounds.

I'd especially like to snap up Brewster, Good, or Miller in that range plus at least one developmental right tackle to start for when JB is done.

I dont like cliff harris to much he plays like DHall. He takes to many chances. I rather have Janorios Jenkins his a true shutdown corner. We got a developmental RT Willie Smith. Te'o I would like to get if we are playoff team or have a winning record. But I we picking in the teens go head and get Barkley or Jones.

I'd like to see us draft BPA that fits system, and let the pieces fall where they may. Ideally Beck looks like the second coming of Kurt Warner and we are freed from having to take a QB. I want to see us start drafting like the Ravens. It seems like every year, regardless of need, they are fortifying their OL and defensive front.

Honestly, one of the best things that could happen to us would be a Ngata or Raji like prospect falling into our laps. I would snap him up without blinking and just have him split time with Cofield, who could also play DE.

I also wouldn't mind seeing us take a stud interior OL, in the Pouncey mold. I don't think that is consistent Shannahan's philosophy however.

Boomking! It's been a while since I've read your posts, glad you're back!

I agree with your assessment of the roster situation. I don't think this FO is currently planning to take a QB high because they have faith in John Beck.

It'd be nice to have a dominant, penatrative defensive lineman fall to us but I also don't think it's a big need considering how good Stephen Bowen and Barry Cofield are. Jarvis Jenkins and Adam Carriker round out the top of our order pretty nicely and Anthony Bryant and Chris Neild can be serviceable backups. I think the rest of the depth chart is filled by Darion Scott and Rob Jackson (as a nickel end) so we actually look pretty good right now.

Keep an eye on Alameda Ta'amu from Washington though. He could be that type of player you're referring to.

I think you're right that Shanahan would probably never really consider taking a guard or center in the first round. But I like some of the names at those positions being talked about in the mid round range, where we have extra picks this year.

The position that has me most excited this year is ILB. A really dynamic ILB could put up impressive numbers here and really help us run this scheme. I think this might be the year to get one too considering how good this group of college juniors and seniors is. A guy like Travis Lewis might get pushed into the second or third round.

I also like some of the corners and safeties that might be available this year.

I'll start out by saying what I'm not really looking at: WR's, DL, RB's, TE's, or OLB's...I feel like this is the yr to grab our QB of the future, upgrade the ILB's, and spend more than one pick on OL...At QB I'm going to be watching Jones, Barkley, Tannehill, and RG3...At ILB I like Teo, Burrfict, Keuchly, Hightower, and Upshaw...Don't know any OL names lol, but this thread will cure that!

To start it off I'll ask like I did last year who are some of your top prospects that you are looking forward to watching next year?

Kellen Moore :paranoid:

I know he's a dwarf and geekier than Beck, I just can't help it.

Boomking! It's been a while since I've read your posts, glad you're back!

I agree with your assessment of the roster situation. I don't think this FO is currently planning to take a QB high because they have faith in John Beck.

It'd be nice to have a dominant, penatrative defensive lineman fall to us but I also don't think it's a big need considering how good Stephen Bowen and Barry Cofield are. Jarvis Jenkins and Adam Carriker round out the top of our order pretty nicely and Anthony Bryant and Chris Neild can be serviceable backups. I think the rest of the depth chart is filled by Darion Scott and Rob Jackson (as a nickel end) so we actually look pretty good right now.

Keep an eye on Alameda Ta'amu from Washington though. He could be that type of player you're referring to.

I think you're right that Shanahan would probably never really consider taking a guard or center in the first round. But I like some of the names at those positions being talked about in the mid round range, where we have extra picks this year.

The position that has me most excited this year is ILB. A really dynamic ILB could put up impressive numbers here and really help us run this scheme. I think this might be the year to get one too considering how good this group of college juniors and seniors is. A guy like Travis Lewis might get pushed into the second or third round.

I also like some of the corners and safeties that might be available this year.

Travis lewis is not a ilb in a 3-4. Look for ilb that are atleast 245 right now

I wouldn't restrict yourself to that number. Jerrod Mayo was smallish in college and Lawrence Timmons isn't very big either.

And we've been showing more coverage out of our ILB's so it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see us take a guy like Timmons. Although I will say Riley did impress last week, still isn't ready yet IMO

If not QB, I think it's pretty obvious that we should be looking CB or ILB in the first.

I mean if it came down to Kuechly or say Cliff Harris I would rather take Kuechly just for the fact he's going to be an absolute stud and pay off dividends form day one, while Harris i'm not sure if Barnes plays well and Wilson and Hall are a good tandem(not a great one just a solid one)

I mean if it came down to Kuechly or say Cliff Harris I would rather take Kuechly just for the fact he's going to be an absolute stud and pay off dividends form day one, while Harris i'm not sure if Barnes plays well and Wilson and Hall are a good tandem(not a great one just a solid one)

You can never have to many corners.

Additionally, while I think both Barnes and Wilson are servicable #2's, Hall is far from an elite #1 CB, and we can certainly upgrade.

He doesnt shed blockers real good to me from some games I've seen. But Ima check some more film.

Well ok I just want to make sure we got some thumpers. I was looking into more of hightower out of Bama since he is in the 3-4.

---------- Post added August-23rd-2011 at 05:48 PM ----------

Janorios Jenkins! Just Say No to Cliff Harris.

He doesnt shed blockers real good to me from some games I've seen. But Ima check some more film.

One of the things I like about Travis is that he's fearless about generating contact. He doesn't run from blocks, he goes into them head on. He's very strong and aggressive for his size but at the same time, he doesn't play out of control and is a really disciplined tackler.

Travis Lewis is also really fast. When you go back to some of these great ILBs in college, they weren't big guys, they were fast guys whose ideal fit was considered to be WLB in a 4-3: Patrick Willis, Jerrod Mayo, and perhaps Sean Lee & Bruce Carter for Dallas.

In the cases of Willis and Mayo, neither are particularly big now and Willis actually moves to WLB a lot of snaps since San Francisco shifts to 4 man lines fairly regularly.

---------- Post added August-23rd-2011 at 06:42 PM ----------

I'd rather have Jenkins than Harris as well. I'd rather have Minnifield than either though.

I like both Minnifield and Jenkins but there is just something special about Harris to me. He's got star playmaking skills and looks like the best player in a pretty good Oregon program.

But I'd probably take Jayron Hosley over all of them :).

Archived