Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tonight's Preseason game: Bears vs. Giants QB play: John Beck related

NoCalMike

So, before I begin I just want to see that I felt Beck's performance against the Colts was solid. I think he did a good job of taking what the Colts defense was giving. For the most part he had good pass protection and was able to check down and find the open player. Also, not turning the ball over was a big plus, especially for his first real taste of being a starting QB.

With that said, watching the Bears vs. Giants game on right now, I see a couple things that we have not seen from Beck yet, which is throwing the ball downfield. Not floating it, or lobbing it, but zipping the ball downfield on a beeline to the would-be receiver.

I don't necessarily want to hold it against Beck that we never saw this from him against the Colts, because the Colts seemed to be playing for the deep pass the entire time, which was leaving the mid and short range options wide open.

However, I still, from a purely fan perspective would like to get some sort of idea about how his deep ball looks. Even if it results in an incompletion or two, I want to see what his throws look like when a WR gets open 30+ yards downfield and he has the time to make the throw. From all the scouting reports this is the one element of his game in question. I'd like to know something decisive on this before the start of the season.

Am I worried over nothing, or is this a legit question?

Thoughts?

I think it's a legit question.

We heard in camp he was having a problem getting the ball deep, right?

His motion is low,, the passes he threw had a lot of zip on them, definitely had pop, but they were low... some of them stayed about 2.5 feet off the ground it seems,, the one to Stallworth sticks in my mind.

Now, it's tough because that was indeed a great pass.. very accurate on the run outside of the pocket, moved the chains. They were consistent in sustaining drives. That I really like. (I'd like to see them result in touchdowns.)

So it's hard to find negatives in an all around solid performance.

But I'd like to see at least a few deep throws.. just to see it.

~Bang

So, before I begin I just want to see that I felt Beck's performance against the Colts was solid. I think he did a good job of taking what the Colts defense was giving. For the most part he had good pass protection and was able to check down and find the open player. Also, not turning the ball over was a big plus, especially for his first real taste of being a starting QB.

With that said, watching the Bears vs. Giants game on right now, I see a couple things that we have not seen from Beck yet, which is throwing the ball downfield. Not floating it, or lobbing it, but zipping the ball downfield on a beeline to the would-be receiver.

I don't necessarily want to hold it against Beck that we never saw this from him against the Colts, because the Colts seemed to be playing for the deep pass the entire time, which was leaving the mid and short range options wide open.

However, I still, from a purely fan perspective would like to get some sort of idea about how his deep ball looks. Even if it results in an incompletion or two, I want to see what his throws look like when a WR gets open 30+ yards downfield and he has the time to make the throw. From all the scouting reports this is the one element of his game in question. I'd like to know something decisive on this before the start of the season.

Am I worried over nothing, or is this a legit question?

Thoughts?

I think you should have posted this in any of the other John Beck threads. This topic exactly is being discussed in at least 2 of Atlanta Skins Fan's threads

This seems like it could have gone into a number of other threads on this same subject.

Regardless, you're right, we didn't see a lot of down field throws from Beck, with all the talks from Training Camp it seemed that Beck had a propensity to check down or wasn't great throwing deep. We'll see what happens though. Two more preseason games and we'll be able to make a fuller decision.

I agree, I would like to see some throws down the field from Beck. However, the check down isn't as bad as it seems, it has its benefits in football. I do remember a play in the Steelers game that Rex should have checked down to Davis who was wide open, he elected to throw the deep ball to Stallworth for an incompletion. The check down would have allowed Davis to probably still be running, I would much rather see the correct read from a QB, then just the random toss down the field. I put the decision on any Offensive Coordinator to put "shots" down field in the game plan.

Just some thoughts...

Tonight's game has other implications...

David Carr threw a TD pass giving the Giants coaching staff confidence he can back up Eli. That means Sage Rosenfels and his ridiculous $3 million salary can now be cut. Sage is a "master" of the Kyle Shanahan offense isn't he?

(just having a little fun)

What is the fascination with throwing it deep? If you can move the chains throwing 10 yd passes all day then who cares? People act like Beck cant physically throw the ball more than 20 yds. Its all in what the defense gives you. If you have any doubts about Beck going long then watch this video. No its not of him throwing it 70 yards.

HAHA, I thought the same thing, how many people are gonna say, "shoulda kept him!" If anyone saw the gaping whole he had to run thru, any NFL caliber player would have done the same.

On a side note, Devin Thomas returned a kick 73 yards. Clearly, we were wrong in cutting him! :silly:

HAHA, I thought the same thing, how many people are gonna say, "shoulda kept him!" If anyone saw the gaping whole he had to run thru, any NFL caliber player would have done the same.

Devin Thomas for all his measurables still doesn't strike me as a particuarly fluid athlete... that might be why he struggled as a route runner

On a side note, Devin Thomas returned a kick 73 yards. Clearly, we were wrong in cutting him! :silly:

LOL - I thought the same thing, but did you see the hole he ran through? I don't think I've seen the 'Skins open a hole like that since B-Mitch...

I think you should have posted this in any of the other John Beck threads. This topic exactly is being discussed in at least 2 of Atlanta Skins Fan's threads

Says it all right there--no NNT for our amigo NoCal on this, but guys, some of you are starting to really reach the last few days to "see your name in lights." Please ask yourself if your idea for a topic really needs it's own thread. For your own good and ours. ;)

Archived